2M/440 SWR Meter Advice

cockpitbob

NES Member
I want a SWR meter for 2M & 440 bands. This is for antenna work, so power accuracy isn't important, just SWR. I was thinking of the Diamond, mainly because it's small.

Are Diamonds any good? What's your favorite?

ETA: I'm OK with used gear if anyone has one.
DiamondSC-40C.jpg

Last edited:
I have a Yaesu YS-500. I love the thing... I use it when I put up the Antenna...I'll also use it when people tell me that my signal sucks when it souldn't....so I'll check out the SWR to see if I have a problem with my line or antenna....

If you are close enough to Littleton you can come and borrow mine. The only time you usually use these things is when you set up a new antenna. Save the $$ for ammo. Jack. W1FKG.

Jack, thanks for the generous offer [thumbsup]. I'm a tinkerer and will be setting up and fooling with several antennas in the future, so I'm going to jump in and get my own.

I have a Yaesu YS-500. I love the thing... I use it when I put up the Antenna...I'll also use it when people tell me that my signal sucks when it souldn't....so I'll check out the SWR to see if I have a problem with my line or antenna....

Yeah, this is the kind of use I have in mind. People must think a lot of the YS-500 considering how much they go for on eBay. Too bad Yaesu discontinued it.

I never cared for those SWR meters and Antenna Analyzers.
Get yourself a Bird 43 wattmeter, and a few slugs for the different bands, you'll find it's far more useful than those other meters.
I set SWR by reading reflected power.

bird43.jpg

They go about $150 used, usually with one slug.
The slugs cost about $25-$35 each (used).
I have about 5 slugs that covers all the bands and power levels I use.
Most useful tool on the bench.

Last edited:
I have a bird with a number of slugs. I wish I found mine for 150. Are they really that cheap now? The Bird 43 is a wonderful tool but for antenna work a analyzer will read complex series impedance as resistance and reactance or phase and magnitude along with coax loss. I also use mine to find resonant frequency of coils. Yes I could do most of that with the bird and a dip meter and a little math but the mfj 259b makes it a lot easier.

Yeah, this is the kind of use I have in mind. People must think a lot of the YS-500 considering how much they go for on eBay. Too bad Yaesu discontinued it.

Yea, I've been doing a lot of looking around to get the one that I have. I ended up paying 82 dollars shipped from a guy off of QTH. There was a lady that Matt tried to get one from on QTH, she sold two for 85 dollars. But if you post a wanted ad on QTH, someone will have one for sale. eBay keeps selling them for around 140 or so...so you can do better in the classifieds.

I have a bird with a number of slugs. I wish I found mine for 150. Are they really that cheap now?

I didn't think that they were that cheap...but then I've only looked around eBay. They seem to be going anywhere from 2 something to 350 or so.

so with the Bird 43 or the MFJ 259b can I determine if my antenna is well positioned or if my coax run needs to be shortened or moved or whatever?

I never cared for those SWR meters and Antenna Analyzers.
Get yourself a Bird 43 wattmeter, and a few slugs for the different bands, you'll find it's far more useful than those other meters.
I set SWR by reading reflected power.

bird43.jpg

They go about $150 used, usually with one slug.
The slugs cost about $25-$35 each (used).
I have about 5 slugs that covers all the bands and power levels I use.
Most useful tool on the bench.

Can you be more specific about what you mean? You can see how the vswr changes as you raise or lower a dipole or wire antenna. That alone is not going to tell you how the pattern changes if that is what you mean. Are you wondering about feedline coupling? What they allow you to measure is reflected and forward power. See here for vswr. That can help in trimming a wire antenna for best radiated power.

Can you be more specific about what you mean? You can see how the vswr changes as you raise or lower a dipole or wire antenna. That alone is not going to tell you how the pattern changes if that is what you mean. Are you wondering about feedline coupling? What they allow you to measure is reflected and forward power. See here for vswr. That can help in trimming a wire antenna for best radiated power.
I'm thinking allong the lines of rasing a dipole and observing the swr, rerouting ladderline for best impedance matches, routing coax to improve matching, experimenting with and without turns in coax to determine best matching etc.

Sounds like you want a antenna analyzer. It "should" be more useful for antenna work. In reality the only time I use the bird is for working on amplifiers. I have a swr meter in my shack next to my rig. They are both very handy tools but the analyzer won't give inline power. Neither are necessary to get on the air but I also would not give them up. On the other hand I know hams who have worked more dx than me and have forgot more than I have ever learned that don't own a power meter or a analyzer.

Back
Top Bottom