• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

.270 powder recommendations

Ok, so I'm a huge fan of Varget for my .223 loads I'm trying to get my hands on some as I used my FIL's last time, I found bullseye to be pretty effective for my .45 now I'm looking for a powder for when I start reloading for my .270 bolt gun.

I'm looking for something that I can build very accurate loads as I'm hoping to use this rifle to qualify at 600 yards at NFGA, or possibly my AR. Varget is only suggested for loads up to 140 grain I usually shoot 150 grain. I have some RL15 I have been using for some of my .223 loads that I'm not particularly impressed with yet and again it doesn't list into the 150g range.

Can anybody recommend a powder for a .270 winchester load that will have good accuracy at long range in a bolt gun with a 150g projectile?

I think Varget & RE-15 are a little too fast for 150 gr bullets in that caliber. Most of your accuracy will come from the bullet and typically heavier bullets get better velocities with slower powders. Sierra lists RE-22 for their accuracy load.

B

Reloader 22 seems to be the powder of choice for 150 grain bullets in the .270. Winchester 760 is also high on the list. 760 is a ball powder and R22 is a stick powder but is claimed to meter very well. I don't load the .270 and have about 75 once fired cases that I can't seem to give away. If you want them, you can have them. Also to the guy who wanted my 8mm Mauser berdan brass, I still have it. I'll have two more cases worth as soon as I pull the bullets. I'm such a Neanderthal on the computer that I accidentally deleted your PM.

Back
Top Bottom