A trick some kids used to do is put a bit of strike anywhere match head inside a 1/4x20 nut, with a 1/4x20 bolt on each side of the nut, creating a small cavity with the match head material. The "bang" from a single match head was surprising - so it is possible to get an explosion (or a deflagration that resembles an explosion to the unaided ear) from strike anywhere matches.

Last edited:
I haven't seen them around here in years. I did buy some this summer in Lake George,NY.

i picked some up recently at sears. they're not as nice as the old school ones, but they do work ok. seems every other match the white tip falls off before you can get it lit.

Growing up in Ohio, we always used to have "Ohio Blue Tip" matches, which were definitely strike anywhere. I'm not sure they make these anymore though.....

I remember playing poker for matches in the Boy Scouts. Ohio Blue tips were the best. Out of business now. I think they were bought out by Diamond.

The Penley brand are suppose to be the best available now. But still nothing like the old Ohios.

My Grandfather use to tell me a cigar should only be lit with a wooden kitchen match. He preferred the Blue tips.

Last edited:
Many years ago, people were warned to keep them away from flammable materials, because mice were known to chew on them and ignite whole boxes!

The nanny state of Massachusetts banned them years ago. I stock up when in NH.
Gonna to just that.my next trip up. Jeez, be easier to just publish a small phamplet on what's legal here. Probably eliminate a lot of confusion.

i picked some up recently at sears. they're not as nice as the old school ones, but they do work ok. seems every other match the white tip falls off before you can get it lit.

This.

We bought some a year ago, and if you didn't strike them just right off the brick hearth, the tip was junk and you had to try another one.

I have them in our local grocery store. I head dwn to Boston a couple times a month and can get you some if you cant find them.

So I've been to a few stores in Norwood and Dedham. Can't find them. Went online and saw some cpmments from Walmart where a guy had some waterproof matches shipped and they had the word "EXPLOSIVES" printed all over the box....

So looking to avoid a shipping circumstance.

Anyone know a store that sells them?

Have you tried the AFL-CIO? They have a habit of striking anywhere and often.

Back
Top Bottom