• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Anyone Work Comms for Boston Marathon?

Unfortunately they marked it with this:
**** RESTRICTED MATERIAL **** BAA VOLUNTEERS ONLY **** NOT FOR GENERAL RELEASE ****

But yes, for the most part every repeater along the course will be used in some capactity

LOL about your OPSEC. The MMRA put out a public notice yesterday to all members indicating which repeaters are being linked for the marathon and which repeaters the members should stay off so as not to interfere with marathon amateur comms.

How far in advance do they typically start accepting applications to work comms? January? Or earlier?

It's that time of year again. Volunteer registration is open for the Boston Marathon: Patriots day, Monday 4/17/2017. Any ham can volunteer.

If you've ever thought about working an event, this is it. Even though this is "the big one", you don't need prior experience. This was my first ever public service event. They usually pair 2 hams together. There's at least one training meeting and more than enough procedures and reading material. Also, the Saturday before (4/15) is the BAA 5K run. That's a much smaller and shorter event. You can just do that or use it as a warm-up for the marathon 2 days later.

Register here: http://www.baa.org/races/boston-marathon/event-information/volunteer-information.aspx

A few highlights:
* You get an event jacket. Usually Nike running jacket.
* You get to learn about a lot of behind the scenes infrastructure that supports the Marathon. It's an incredibly complex and well run system.
* You get a front row seat for the Marathon. 95% of the time you'll be listening to dead air so you have plenty of time to watch 35,000 people go by.
* After the Marathon they have a big after-party for the athletes AND volunteers. The last few years they rented FENWAY for the night. My wife and I went to the party last year. It was really cool having the run of Fenway: walk the warning track. Hang out in the dugout. Selfies in front of the green monster. Sam Adams was there pouring their short run of beer called "26.2".
* Meet new people and make friends.
* Get some operating experience that's hard to come by.

Also, the Saturday before (4/15) is the BAA 5K run. That's a much smaller and shorter event.

I see what you did there [rofl]

If you're gonna be at the BAA 5K, keep an eye out for me running. Although, you're unlikely to actually see me because ninjer stuff.

ZwHRRihs.jpg

it's kind of a funny coincidence that this thread got resurrected. Obviously it is the right time of year...but I actually received an invite in the mail last week. The sent a little card from the BAA. I know it's public record and all but never expected an invite in the mail.

My company is big on community service. Maybe I volunteer for this and still get paid for the day....lol

Yup, great event to use your communications skills and get an close up view of a premier event.
@CockpitBob where did you request to work? I am assistant coordinator at Start this year.

Yup, great event to use your communications skills and get an close up view of a premier event.
@CockpitBob where did you request to work? I am assistant coordinator at Start this year.
I'm not picky. You put in your top 3 choices so I put in:
1) Along the course somewhere. That would be either a first aid or water station.
2) Starting area in Hopkinton
3) Transportation (get to ride around on a shuttle bus all day.

I'm not picky. You put in your top 3 choices so I put in:
1) Along the course somewhere. That would be either a first aid or water station.
2) Starting area in Hopkinton
3) Transportation (get to ride around on a shuttle bus all day.

I did the buses the last 2 years, going to be a little different in the start NCOC this year.

Also, the Saturday before (4/15) is the BAA 5K run. That's a much smaller and shorter event.

I see what you did there [rofl]

If you're gonna be at the BAA 5K, keep an eye out for me running. Although, you're unlikely to actually see me because ninjer stuff.

ZwHRRihs.jpg
[rofl]And I wasn't even trying. I guess it just comes natural.[wink]

I signed up to volunteer for this year's marathon. Any advice/gear that I should get to prep?

Depends on where you get stationed. Start with a good HT and at least one spare battery, headset or lapel mic preferably with an earbud as it can be very loud. Pocket notebook with a couple pens. Radio manual in case you have to resolve programming issues on the fly. Snacks & drink but remember that there will be lots of security so they suggest clear bags.

Ahead of time they'll publish the list of repeaters. Don't just program the ones for your assigned location. Most people put them all in just in case they get reassigned at the last minute.

In addition to ghettomedic's very good suggestions:
* Check weather: You may be standing still for hours outdoors. Bring rain gear and dress warmer than you think you need, including bringing gloves.
* Hat, sunglasses and sunscreen.
* USB power bank if your phone isn't known for lasting all day
* Camera: you're at the Marathon after all[smile]
* If it rains, how will you keep your radio dry? Baggies work in a pinch.
* Backup radio (programmed) if you have one.

BTW, that web site for registering is weird. They only allow you 1 login. Seriously. I logged on to register to volunteer for both the Marathon and the BAA 5K that happens 2 days before the Marathon. After registering for the Marathon I logged off. Later when I went to log back in to register for the 5K I got this message:
Please note: You can't re-enter the system once you've registered. If you want to make a change on your application, please contact Mary. If you want to check to see the status of a Group you've created, please contact Mary.
I had to email this Mary person and she manually registered me to work comms for the 5K.

So, don't log out unless you are sure you are done.

If you want to volunteer for the Marathon...

From the Marathon Communications Committee
General registration is closed, but we have some time this month to get more people registered. If you know someone interested, please e-mail us back and provide their contact information, and we can send them registration instructions.

So, if anyone wants to volunteer, shoot me a PM.

It is a long day, but a lot of fun, a great experience, you get an insider's view of the Marathon, a sports jacket, BAA Marathon pin and free entry to the after-party at Fenway.

I thought some here might like a little insight into what goes into just the communications infrastructure of the Marathon. This is the first of many emails I'll be getting before the race. (I x'd out a few things since this is a public forum.)

Thank you for signing up to help at the 2017 Boston Marathon as an amateur radio volunteer. The Boston Marathon is a world-class event, and it simply couldn’t happen without the support of almost 10,000 volunteers who come out on race day to make it safe and successful for runners and spectators alike. We know how much effort you put into this—preparing for your assignment ahead of time, getting up early and traveling on race day, and then putting in a long day of work. Thank you for stepping up to make that commitment and join the team. We’re all looking forward to another successful year.

Right now the organizing team is working on putting all your assignments together. Those are due to be finalized by the end of February, and you’ll start hearing more from us about your specific assignments around then. In the meantime, I wanted to share some preliminary information with all of you.

•Save the date: We’ll have a training seminar at xxxxxxxxx, in xxxxxxx, on March xx at 8:00 AM. If this is your first year with us, it’s a great opportunity to learn about communications at the entire event and meet your fellow volunteers. If you’ve been to this seminar before, know that we’re shaking up the program a bit to keep the presentations relevant to all volunteers. We’ll also be reviewing the entire communications plan, including commercial and state traffic flows, with the medical team in one of the early sessions. We’d love to see you all there. If you have a conflict, don’t fret; we’ll record the sessions and publish them after.

•Our volunteer registration numbers are better than past years (thanks for that!), but we need a few more to cover for cancellations as we get closer to race day. General registration is closed, but we have some time this month to get more people registered. If you know someone interested, please e-mail us back and provide their contact information, and we can send them registration instructions.

•If you have assignment requests or schedule requirements that weren’t noted in your volunteer application, now’s the best time to let us know about those too. Again, just e-mail us back.

We’ll be mailing regularly to keep you in the loop as April 17 approaches. However, if you ever have questions about volunteering in between now and then, please always feel free to write us

I thought some here might like a little insight into what goes into just the communications infrastructure of the Marathon.

You should see it from my side [banghead]
Like looking through a list of over 300 people (3 lines each) on an excel spreadsheet to sort out assignments. Meetings with BAA and public safety who both have their own rules and requirements.

Last edited:
You should see it from my side [banghead]
Like looking through a list of over 300 people (3 lines each) on an excel spreadsheet to sort out assignments. Meetings with BAA and public safety who both have their own rules and requirements.
I can only imagine. You have my admiration, appreciation and sympathy.

I can only imagine. You have my admiration, appreciation and sympathy.

I am enjoying seeing behind the scenes and being involved but it is a lot to take in being my first year in the management role. There is a lot that the front line volunteers don't know about and hence don't understand why things are done the way they are.

Did you consider volunteering with the communications team at the BAA Boston Marathon... but missed the deadline?
Late registration is still open for the reserve list.
Registrants will be placed on a wait list and will be notified should an opening occur. We tend to see withdrawals during the last month before the Marathon, so there is some chance of securing an active slot.

To register:

1. Access the 2017 Boston Marathon Volunteer application:

http://www.baa.org/races/boston-marathon/event-information/volunteer-information.aspx

2. Select ‘Returning’ or ‘First Time’ Volunteer.
Returning Volunteers: You need your Volunteer Loyalty Number and zip code (there’s a VLN look-up on the application).

3. Complete the personal information.

4. Group Status: Select “yes” next to “I have been given a group name and a pass code and would like to join a group.”

5. Find the group name in the drop down list and type the pass code

Name: Ham Radio (note the space)
Clue/Passcode: 121Boston (NO space)

6. Complete the remainder of the application and make note of the on-screen confirmation number. Seeing the on-screen confirmation is indication that you have successfully completed the online application.

7. Send an email with your on-screen confirmation number to, and your interest, to:

[email protected]

This will reach the Communications Committee. We are happy to answer any questions and help you in any way.

I did it last year(can't this year). The training they gave everyone (1st aid and radio people) before we separated into separate groups was revealing. They walked you through what to do and expect in the event there's another bombing or a shooter situation.

One big take-way for me was if there's a bomb or shooting and you are injured, don't expect help from the first people in blue to come running in. They'll walk right past you in your pool of blood. Their job is to make sure the area is safe: no other bombs or shooters. The next wave of help will help you.

Back
Top Bottom