24" 1 in 8 black finish

Anyone know any mfrs that sell a 24" heavy barrel/upper, 1 in 8 (or lower), in a black finish?

ZainAnak said:
Anyone know any mfrs that sell a 24" heavy barrel/upper, 1 in 8 (or lower), in a black finish?

Give Bushmaster a call. They've had small runs of barrels that do not show up in their catalog due to limited volume. They may actually have what you're looking for.

I think Olympic Arms may have something as well. I've heard good things about the accuracy of their SUM barrels. If I went this route, I would only buy the barrel from them & get the upper receiver from someone else. (just realized, that may be a SS barrel...)

You can always get a SS barrel and put a black duracoat finish on it.

CD

ZainAnak said:
Is the duracoat something I can do myself?

I have seen several rifles that have been refinished with duracoat, KG Molyresin or guncoat. There are some how-to threads on doing this on other boards. If I can find any I'll post them later.

CD

ETA
Link to How-To
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=240591

Be careful sandblasting any parts that are parkerized steel or anodized aluminum. The parkerized surface is already good for adhesion of other finishes. You don't want to remove any of the anodized layer from aluminum if you can avoid it, that would weaken the protective layer. Just clean, clean again & degrease thoroughly before painting.

Also - Pay attention to Stickman's posts in that thread. From what I've seen he has done some very nice work.

Back
Top Bottom