.22lr AK22 in CT

I was just reading up again on the latest assault ban bill being put to task again, and as usual it now confuses me even more than ever.
I understand most of it, but the AK type part....

I was eyeing an inexpensive .22 Ak style from
http://www.centerfiresystems.com/AC-AKF-22.aspx
Not necessarily from this place, but similar.
This is now considered banned??

I actually have seen a couple like this for sale near me, and online, but not sure if they are good for in CT.

I also read that it may not be banned, but out of state dealers play the safe way and don't ship here.

Maybe it would be easier for me to ask what is left for enthusiasts of military styled rifles in .22lr for myself in the state of CT, and that are cheap to buy.

If I can't find something along the M16 look, or AK look....then I have to splurge for a little more and go the GSG5 route.
Problem with that is I like the pistol version, but I want the rifle for my sons to shoot with as well...
Can't afford both,.........yet.

Only an AK in 7.62 is illegal. To be an AK-47 "type", a rifle has to meet all three of these criteria.

1) Does it look like an AK-47? Probably
2) Does it function like an AK-47? Probably
4) Can AK-47 parts be put into it and function properly. Nope...ain't gonna stuff a 7.62 round down a .22 chamber.

But it looks like you won't be getting that AK flavored .22 because the dealer has the stupid mindset of anything AK being illegal in CT. My AK is a CT legal .22...in the 5.45 x 39 version. [wink]

As for pistol versions, they cannot weigh more than 50 or more ounces empty.

Only an AK in 7.62 is illegal. To be an AK-47 "type", a rifle has to meet all three of these criteria.

1) Does it look like an AK-47? Probably
2) Does it function like an AK-47? Probably
4) Can AK-47 parts be put into it and function properly. Nope...ain't gonna stuff a 7.62 round down a .22 chamber.

But it looks like you won't be getting that AK flavored .22 because the dealer has the stupid mindset of anything AK being illegal in CT. My AK is a CT legal .22...in the 5.45 x 39 version. [wink]

As for pistol versions, they cannot weigh more than 50 or more ounces empty.

the irony of your s/n and the fact that you live in ct (presumably) just hit me

Yeah, I was only giving the SLFU's definition of the "AK-47 type". I didn't bring up the sometimes confusing CT AWB because it doesn't apply here.

Thanks...

This is the problem..

The ak22 I have seen around..

Armi Jaeger
Armscor
Wasr

have 2 of the criteria
Pistol grip
magazine outside of grip locale.

But I'm not sure of the flash suppressor
muzzle break

it is stated as NO bayo lug, so I am good there...

On another note, I saw the AK in a couple other calibers, and was looking for something inexpensive to shoot...
How does the 5.45x39 compare?

If I am going to spend $500 it will be for the GSG5, but I was hoping for something a little cheaper at this time..

Maybe I should move to Nevada or something...[thinking]

"magazine outside of grip locale" is not an AWB criteria for a rifle. You are confusing pistol criteria with rifle criteria.

Correct. A semi-auto rifle can have its magazine anywhere, in or out of the pistol grip and it's not counted as an "evil feature". A pistol having the magazine outside of the pistol grip gets one strike against it because it's somehow "evil" as opposed to a rifle. [rolleyes]

So, AK and AR style pistols are out because they have two "evil features". 1) magazine outside pistol grip, and 2) manufactured weight of 50 or more oz. Even the Kel-Tec PLR-16 is out because it weighs 51 oz empty.

http://www.cga.ct.gov/2007/pub/Chap943.htm#Sec53-202a.htm

(A) A semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least two of the following:

(i) A folding or telescoping stock;

(ii) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;

(iii) A bayonet mount;

(iv) A flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor; and

(v) A grenade launcher; or

(B) A semiautomatic pistol that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least two of the following:

(i) An ammunition magazine that attaches to the pistol outside of the pistol grip;

(ii) A threaded barrel capable of accepting a barrel extender, flash suppressor, forward handgrip or silencer;

(iii) A shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel and that permits the shooter to hold the firearm with the nontrigger hand without being burned;

(iv) A manufactured weight of fifty ounces or more when the pistol is unloaded

Thanks...

This is the problem..

The ak22 I have seen around..

Armi Jaeger
Armscor
Wasr

have 2 of the criteria
Pistol grip
magazine outside of grip locale.

But I'm not sure of the flash suppressor
muzzle break

it is stated as NO bayo lug, so I am good there...

On another note, I saw the AK in a couple other calibers, and was looking for something inexpensive to shoot...
How does the 5.45x39 compare?

If I am going to spend $500 it will be for the GSG5, but I was hoping for something a little cheaper at this time..

Maybe I should move to Nevada or something...[thinking]

The Armi-Jager would be legal in CT as they are preban, they stopped importing them before the CT ban came into effect.

Back
Top Bottom