.223 Reloader/Dies Choice

What reloader and dies are you using to reload .223 with?

I have a Dillon RL550 all set up for .45 ACP and I love it. I also bought a used Lee Pro 1000 and was gonna load .223 on it. I bought the Hornady 2 die kit and i'm just not sure if I should use it or get another setup for the Dillon. Any suggstions/recommendations?

Dick

I load 223 on a pro1000. I'm using a hornady LnL case wactivated powder measure on it. Doing so makes keeping the big red funnel on the case feeder impossible. Otherwise it works just swell. The primer set up on it is fussy about being kept clean. Any spilled powder will make priming difficult but it is easy to clean and get back to loading. The Hornady dies should be an excellent choice. I'm not aware of any current dies on the market that are substandard.

What reloader and dies are you using to reload .223 with?

I have a Dillon RL550 all set up for .45 ACP and I love it. I also bought a used Lee Pro 1000 and was gonna load .223 on it. I bought the Hornady 2 die kit and i'm just not sure if I should use it or get another setup for the Dillon. Any suggstions/recommendations?

Dick

I loaded thousands of rounds of .223 on my 550 when I had it with no significant issues. Keep it clean and properly lubed and it will run like a swiss watch.

I use a Lock and Load with a case feeder now and it works but sometimes it gets bitchy and pisses me off.

No experience with the Lee Pro so I can't help you there.

I use and recommend Forster dies for progressive loading of .223, mainly because that what has worked for me so far. I'm sure the Hornady dies are just as good when adjusted properly, but I've never used them myself.

I'm using a hornady LnL case wactivated powder measure on it.

This is a great setup. I really like the Hornady measure and even used it when I had my Dillon. (Red and blue go together just fine.)

I have lee pacesetter and hornady new demensions....they both work. Only big issue is the lee dies are a bit on the short side with the lnl bushings. PLUS its possible to set a boolit crooked with the lee sweater die. Something that hasn't happened with the hornady new demension dies.

I use an old RCBS Jr single stage press and RCBS .223 SB dies....I've loaded tens of thousands of rounds with that setup over the years.

I have a couple 550's, one with Dillon dies and one with Redding dies. The Dillon dies I use for my AR and the Redding dies for my Remington 700, also .223. Given the choice, I prefer the Dillon dies. The proviso is, of course, that Dillon dies work best with Dillon machines because case belling comes in conjuction with the powder drop....ergo, there's no belling die in the Dillon die set.

All the name dies are fine, I just don't care for Lee dies in particular except for their crimp dies.

I have a couple 550's, one with Dillon dies and one with Redding dies. The Dillon dies I use for my AR and the Redding dies for my Remington 700, also .223. Given the choice, I prefer the Dillon dies. The proviso is, of course, that Dillon dies work best with Dillon machines because case belling comes in conjuction with the powder drop....ergo, there's no belling die in the Dillon die set.

All the name dies are fine, I just don't care for Lee dies in particular except for their crimp dies.

The belling funnel is part of the Dillon caliber conversion kit, completely separate from the dies. And the bottleneck caliber kits don't have funnels that bell the necks, its just a funnel. OP, you can use any dies you like, those Hornady dies will be fine. If you want to use Dillon powder drop, you'll need that .223 funnel that comes as part of the caliber conversion kit (which includes the funnel, pins, and shellplate). If you use a separate apparatus for powder (I do for rifle) then you'll just need the pins and the shellplate.

Last edited:
I use Dillon Dies in my 550 and Forster dies in my single stage press for my .223 rounds. I load ammo for highpower competition out to 300 yards on the Dillon and 600 and beyond on the single stage. Both do the job very well. I don't know anything about the Lee but the Dillon has worked well for everything I've loaded on it.

- - - Updated - - -

The belling funnel is part of the Dillon caliber conversion kit, completely separate from the dies. And the bottleneck caliber kits don't have funnels that bell the necks, its just a funnel. OP, you can use any dies you like, those Hornady dies will be fine. If you want to use Dillon powder drop, you'll need that .223 funnel that comes as part of the caliber conversion kit (which includes the funnel, pins, and shellplate). If you use a separate apparatus for powder (I do for rifle) then you'll just need the pins and the shellplate.

Slowdive, what do you use for the set-up in the powder operation?

Slowdive, what do you use for the set-up in the powder operation?

For rifle, I just use my standard Lyman drop w/ the die mounting fixture. Easier b/c I can set up my charge on the bench, I don't have to mess with powder bars. It's another lever to pull, but I'm nearly as fast once I get in a rhythm.

2012-09-01_23-17-21_429.jpg

Last edited:
I use a Dillon 650 with standard Redding FL dies with a carbide expander ball. Ammo is used in 3 different makes of ARs and a bolt action.

Back
Top Bottom