.223 match ammo

Going to give High power a try, 200- 600yd.
My shooting ability aside,how do I go about making competition grade ammo.
My Rifle = Bushmaster XM15 ES2 A3 type rifle -"Flat-top" upper receiver w/16" barrel &
Removable carry handle.
I have plenty of once fired brass. Right now,I prep all brass off my LNL and complete assembly on the progressive.
For target I am using 55 grn. I know I need a heavier bullet for long distance.
Thinking of a 69 grain Sierra Match King or similar.
Should I use the same manufacturer for the brass,and if so which is best.
Can I use the progressive to assemble the cartridge?
Or on the single stage and with trickle powder weighing?
Any other help appreciated.
Thanks, Mike

Picking a match bullet will get you most of the way there. Extruded powder tends to be best for accuracy. Sierra recommends an accuracy load for most of their bullets. Notice that for all of those loads, they are not hot rods. Just use what ever brass you have. I'd load it on a progressive.

http://accurateshooter.net/Downloads/sierra223ar.pdf

B

I have a lot of BLC-2.Should I use that for my general shooting?

I load everything on a progressive (Dillon 550). Dump powder right from the press; don't bother trickling. Segregating brass depends on what you have for brass. I think I'd seperate by headstamp after it's all loaded.
I prep all brass first (resize, trim if needed, clean, and prime) then assemble on the Dillon (dump powder, seat bullet, done).

I'd do a little experimenting/accuracy testing with bullets because that is where you are going to see the most difference. For your 1/9 twist, the Sierra 69 Matchkings should work, but I'd also try some 75's. BLC-2 should work with the 69's, but I've not personally tried it. I did use some Winchester 748 with 69's and it worked. Any powder in that mid-range will work (Varget, RE15, the 4895's, etc.).

Bottom line, work up a load that will get you 1" groups at 100yds and start churning out a pile of it on a progressive press.

I'm glad to see you have in interest shooting Highpower. Load up a few hundred rds of good ammo and take what equipment you have and go shoot a few matches. From there you will know if it's something you just want to do occassionally, in which case the rifle you have will fill your needs. If you think it's something you want to get more involved in, budget some money for a NM upper or a good barrel in a faster twist.

Last edited:
I use BLC-2 exclusively in my .223 loads for my Sig 556. I use a CCI 400 primer, LC brass, 24.8gr of BLC-2, and Hornady 75 gr BTHP match bullets. The Sig has a 1:7 twist, and is not as accurate as a comparable AR generally speaking. The best I've ever shot with it is 1 MOA, but usually I get 2 MOA.

As for single stage vs progressive...use whichever you are more comfortable with. I load EVERYTHING single stage, not because I wouldn't load on a progressive...but a single stage is all I currently own, and I prefer to weigh each individual charge. I go for accuracy over quantity, and it doesn't bother me to spend nearly 2.5 hours to load up 100 rounds of .223

In my AR with a 1/9 barrel I use the Sierra 69 gr HPBT bullet, once fired military brass, and WCC 844 powder (because it is cheap and meters well) for .343 in five shot groups at 100 yds.

Mike:
I'm a newbie too who's trying to learn more about reloading .223. I've had good results on my first few hundred rounds. You might want to take a look at this info I found for some interesting insight into the particulars of case prep for different uses.
http://www.shell-central.com/Brass_Prep1.html

The same guy also has an interesting discussion about brass work hardening and annealing with regard to how it can affect accuracy at: http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=46253

Foggy65

Back
Top Bottom