• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

.223 and Varget

I reloaded some .223 rounds last night. This was the first time I tried using Varget powder. I am using 26 grains, and I find that this nearly fills the cases. I am actually compressing the powder when I seat the bullet. Is this normal? I'm a bit nervous about shooting these, but I suspect I'm OK.

I use far less than that for my 100 yard loads. 20.8gr Varget pushing a 75 grain Hornady BTHP. Get really good results at 100 yards out of a 20" 1/7, but I don't doubt that the velocity is fairly low.

This is my Coyote load, so I'm really looking for high velocity to push my Sierra Blitzkings. I have been using BLC(2), and Tac, but I just love to be different.

I am also using 26.0 grains of Varget behind a 55 grain bullet. I have been using this load for a few years now and found it very accurate. Last weekend I was shooting it out to 600 yards and, with some help from a very experienced spotter, dialed right in on the paper.

Varget is, indeed, a good powder for 5.56, but if you like to experiment, try some Win 748. Meters like water; impossible to detect any load-to-load variations from the powder measure, and gives me the same accuracy as Varget.

My "ordinary" load is 26.0 gr. Win 748, 55 gr. Win. or Hornady bulk FMJBT, mixed military brass, and CCI SR primers. Clocked at 2700-something at 15 feet from 14-1/2" barrel.

When I was shooting a bolt gun in .223 Rem., Win748 was also my powder of choice. It seemed to give me the best groups, although my limited shooting was hardly ultra-scientific.

I am also using 26.0 grains of Varget behind a 55 grain bullet. I have been using this load for a few years now and found it very accurate. Last weekend I was shooting it out to 600 yards and, with some help from a very experienced spotter, dialed right in on the paper.

+1
I've had good results with 26.3g of Varget under 55 grain bullets. If you use a long drop tube, it helps to get the powder to pack in nicely, so it doesn't make that unsettling "crunch" sound when you seat the projectile. If you use a short funnel...then you get the crunch. You can also tap the case on the the side a couple of time to get the powder to settle more.

55_grain

Has anyone tried BOTH H335 and Varget? I've been happy with H335 but it's the only powder I've tried. I'd be interested in how people think the two compare.

H335 for up to 55 grain bullets. Varget for 75+ grain bullets. Varget is a bit slow for optimal velocity of light weight bullets, and doesn't meter as smoothly.

Has anyone tried BOTH H335 and Varget? I've been happy with H335 but it's the only powder I've tried. I'd be interested in how people think the two compare.

I use H335 with 55s. It is more accurate than I am, plus the fireball out of a 16" barrel entertains the other people at the range.
I haven't tried Varget in 223.
I also get good results with AA2230, AA2460, and BLC(2). If you can find any, AA2200 works well also.

been hearing fantastic things about IMR 8208 too. sort of a "short" RE15. still extruded, but meters like a ball powder, but with none of the temp-sensitivity of ball powder.

looks promising.

That will work (the distance) depending on the twist of your barrel but many ranges do not want the 55's shot at 600 yards since they sometimes become unstable in flight.
HS

I use H335 with 55s. It is more accurate than I am, plus the fireball out of a 16" barrel entertains the other people at the range.
I haven't tried Varget in 223.
I also get good results with AA2230, AA2460, and BLC(2). If you can find any, AA2200 works well also.

I second the use of AA2460. I shoot 77 and 80 grain Sierra bullets with it and it drops spot on through my Harrels measure. I was always told that ball powders have pressure problems when the temperature rises but I have never seen any signs of it. Cold weather is another thing. We have had hangfires when it's really cold so I switched to mag primers which solved the problem.
HS

That will work (the distance) depending on the twist of your barrel but many ranges do not want the 55's shot at 600 yards since they sometimes become unstable in flight.
HS

Take my info for what it's worth. Until that match I have never shot beyond 300 yds. Once I use up my supply of Varget I want to play with H335 per Dan S' recommendation.

Take my info for what it's worth. Until that match I have never shot beyond 300 yds. Once I use up my supply of Varget I want to play with H335 per Dan S' recommendation.

I thought you were one of the people that told me to try H335 when I first started loading .223?

PS: I'm still waiting for Dan S to tell me how to increase my mag capacity by making the inside bigger!

I thought you were one of the people that told me to try H335 when I first started loading .223?

I tried H335 when I bought my first AR but ended up spending more time developing a load with Varget, so I stuck with it. Dan knows best when it comes to three gun so I will take his advise and try it again once I run out of varget.

PS: I'm still waiting for Dan S to tell me how to increase my mag capacity by making the inside bigger!

Don't you own a Dremel?

I hope that you didn't think I was disputing what you said. I'm just saying that many ranges do not allow anything lighter than 62 grains for 600 yards. Do they work, most times they do. I've shot 55 grain bullets out of my 1-6.5 twist barrel as an experiment at 200 yards. Scored a 9x clean on the reduced 600 yard highpower target. They say I shouldn't have been able to shoot those bullets but it worked for me.

I hope that you didn't think I was disputing what you said. I'm just saying that many ranges do not allow anything lighter than 62 grains for 600 yards. Do they work, most times they do. I've shot 55 grain bullets out of my 1-6.5 twist barrel as an experiment at 200 yards. Scored a 9x clean on the reduced 600 yard highpower target. They say I shouldn't have been able to shoot those bullets but it worked for me.

No, not at all. I was just saying, I have limited experience shooting distance, and had never shot to 600 yds until 2 weeks ago. There are many more qualified people on this board who know much more than I do about shooting distance. The RO on the stage actually suggested I shoot some of his 77g loads for that stage.

The only powders I have used for my AR have been Varget and H 335. WHen I was shooting groups at 100yds, the Varget seemed to do better out of my Bushmaster so that's the load I developed. This is what I'm using out of my White Oak barrel right now, but I want to try H335 again. The varget is not worth the hassle of dumping powder all over my press when it gets stuck.

Back
Top Bottom