.223/5.56 ammo storage question

I have a number of ammo boxes from the group buy some time back. (5.56 type)
I also have a quantity of 5.56 ammo in 20 round cardboard boxes.

Is there any way to get 1000 rounds in one of these ammo storage boxes? I've tried to stack them several different ways and just can't seem to make 1000 rounds fit. I think the ammo boxes are supposed to hold rounds on stripper clips, but this is not an option for me. Is it feasable to fill this type of storage box with loose ammo? Would that be dangerous? What are some of the other options for bulk ammo storage. I'd like to keep some measure of portability, and safety is certainly a concern.

Thanks for the information.

Chris

Do you mean a .50 caliber ammo can?

If so, I just bought a sealed .50 ammo can of 1000 rounds of M193 from Manchester Firing Line last month and it fits. I've also fit 1000 rounds worth of 20rnd boxes of American Eagle .223 in a .50 ammo can.

If you're talking about a 5.56 ammo can, those are about 1/2 the size and I don't see 1000 rounds fitting if the rounds are boxed.

Paul, I picked up 1000 rounds of M193 today from MFL, they are packed in 50 round cardboard boxes inside what I thought was a 5.56 ammo can. (I'll have to check.)

Chris

Paul, I picked up 1000 rounds of M193 today from MFL, they are packed in 50 round cardboard boxes inside what I thought was a 5.56 ammo can. (I'll have to check.)

Chris

That's the same stuff I got but I haven't opened the can since I have other stuff to burn through first, and it seemed so tidy.

I've got my 5.56 stored in all different manners, but all inside the 50 cal cans. There are no issues just storing them loose in the can, which is how some of mine is stored. I also have some packed in their original 20 round boxes (of various shapes) and on stripper clips in the cardboard sleeves. As far as fitting 1000 rounds in, I think your best bet is loose, as I haven't found the "secret" stacking method for the stripper clips or boxes.

You should be able to get 1K rds of 556 into a 50 cal can. Loose is fine, I do it all of the time. In standard sized boxes of 20 rds there will be wasted space along the sides and top which may prevent you from getting to 1000. I don't know for sure as I just stop when full. The 20 rd stripper clip boxes are a different shape than the std 20rd boxes. That will likely effect how much you can stuff into a can.

I have many thousands of rounds stored loose in ammo cans. You can easily fit 1K rounds in a .50 caliber can, while a .30 caliber can holds 650.

I have a number of ammo boxes from the group buy some time back. (5.56 type)
I also have a quantity of 5.56 ammo in 20 round cardboard boxes.

Is there any way to get 1000 rounds in one of these ammo storage boxes? I've tried to stack them several different ways and just can't seem to make 1000 rounds fit. I think the ammo boxes are supposed to hold rounds on stripper clips, but this is not an option for me. Is it feasable to fill this type of storage box with loose ammo? Would that be dangerous? What are some of the other options for bulk ammo storage. I'd like to keep some measure of portability, and safety is certainly a concern.

Thanks for the information.

Chris

Yes its feasable, and no its not dangerous.......companies store and ship loose packed ammo in cans all the time without incident. A desiccant pack or two would be advised.

Also, place a couple of empty boxes or the end tabs with the lot # of the ammo in with them for future reference.

I pack my 5.56 on stripper clips in food saver bags of 120 rds and I can get 4 packs and 2 loose in a can. I'm alittle anal about storing ammo
becuase my wife makes me store the rounds in the basement. If you need 50 cal and 30 cal cans try Spruce Mountain Surplus. I just bought 10 50cal for 6.50 a can and 3 30cal for 5.00 a can. Shipping and handling is a little pricey. I thought they would be in okay shape. I was wrong. They where in great shape.
Thanks
Ric

i'm a newb and probably don't know much better...But, I thought I read that ammo has to be "stored in original containers"?

I thought that meant the boxes they were purchased in....
no?

i'm a newb and probably don't know much better...But, I thought I read that ammo has to be "stored in original containers"?

no?

Usually the phrase reads: "Ammo should be stored in original boxes or containers."

They say this because it allows you to easily identify the ammo in your inventory later, as well as ensure you are using the correct ammunition for any particular firearm.

I can get 1,200 rounds of .223 or 5.56 in a .50BMG can but they've got to go in as loose rounds.

If I use bandoliers I can get 880 rounds in.

Last edited:

no?

Perhaps you are thinking of flying with ammo.

Usually the phrase reads: "Ammo should be stored in original boxes or containers."

They say this because it allows you to easily identify the ammo in your inventory later, as well as ensure you are using the correct ammunition for any particular firearm.

No, it states SHALL which means must.

but it got past scrivener?

- i had to twitch at the usage example they give in 2a

Main Entry: shall
Pronunciation: \shəl, ˈshal\
Function: verb
Inflected Form(s): past should \shəd, ˈshu̇d\; present singular & plural shall

verbal auxiliary
1 archaic a : will have to : must b : will be able to : can
2 a —used to express a command or exhortation <you shall go> b —used in laws, regulations, or directives to express what is mandatory <it shall be unlawful to carry firearms>
3 a —used to express what is inevitable or seems likely to happen in the future <we shall have to be ready> <we shall see> b —used to express simple futurity <when shall we expect you>
4 —used to express determination <they shall not pass>

I see a section about smokeless powder that shall be stored in original shipping containers, but nothing about small arms ammunition being stored in original containers.

I see a section about smokeless powder that shall be stored in original shipping containers, but nothing about small arms ammunition being stored in original containers.

Also primers.

Didn't notice any such requirement for ammo to be so stored, however.

Ammunition, small-arms, any cartridge or shell for use in a pistol, rifle or shotgun, and shall include ball, shot or blank cartridges or shells.

Small arms ammunition, any shotgun, rifle, or pistol cartridge and any cartridge or propellant- actuated devices. This definition does not include military ammunition containing bursting charges or incendiary, tracer, spotting, or pyrotechnic projectiles.

13.04-1(e) Exempt quantities of small arms ammunition, primers, smokeless propellants and black powder shall be stored in original containers and such containers shall be stored in a locked cabinet, closet or box when not in use.

Ironically enough, they use the term small arms ammo instead of ammo and in small arms ammo def they exclude things that are then never covered elsewhere...

Definitely include some desiccant if you're storing with any paper or cardboard, as such things retain moisture.

Also, I long for the day when every thread doesn't turn into a Mass firearms law thread :p

Back
Top Bottom