22 target pistols - Buckmark/Victory/Ruger?

Oh mighty Marksmen!
Does anybody have one of the Browning Buckmarks? S&W Victorys?
How are they compared to the Ruger Mark II/III/IV for an inexpensive indoor target gun?

i don't have any , but that new ruger with the easy takedown does look really tempting.

the only other option for me would be an advantage arms .22 conversion for a glock or 1911.

They are a little more $ but .22 revolvers are a lot of fun to shoot as well and you don't have to worry about the gun being 'picky'. Ruger and S&W both make a 10 shot version.

I had the opportunity to shoot the SW22 Victory, Ruger Mk III and a Browning Buck Mark w/7" barrel @1 month ago. The Victory and the Buck Mark felt and shot almost identical for me. Nice tight groups. The Mk III was nice, but my groups doubled and tripled in size. But that said, it may have been more my fault than the gun. The Mk III was the last I shot on a cold rainy day and it was late in the afternoon and getting dark.

I actually want all 3 for my bucket list. But it will be a Mk IV instead of the III. None available to me from LGS's. Same for the 7" Barrel BM. I ended up walking out the door with a threaded barrel SW22 Victory for $375.

Where are you located? I have many .22 handguns and you're welcome to try any of them. I have both revolvers and autos.

I have not shot the browning yet but handled it in the store a few times. It feels nice and points well.....

I,have a MKIII that took some time to find ammo that actually grouped well.
Some old remington eley shot best and I have a small stash left.
Wolf match extra
Aquila extra super
Eley match did very good but not for 22$/50 rnd

They are a little more $ but .22 revolvers are a lot of fun to shoot as well and you don't have to worry about the gun being 'picky'. Ruger and S&W both make a 10 shot version.

If the OP is looking to do gallery shooting (since they specify "target"), I'd not recommend a revolver, as the Rapid Fire stage, especially, would be "fun" trying to shoot, having to cock the gun for each shot. Double action does nothing to improve accuracy. There's a reason that the autos are what everyone uses, IMO.

I shoot Gallery (quite poorly, thank you very much! [laugh]), and use a High Standard. Because it's what I have, and I like the feel.

New shooters tend to have a Ruger, or Browning, from what I've seen. They shoot better than the users do, especially at the start.

I heard a more-experienced shooter tell a new shooter, "You can't have a Pardini. You don't shoot well enough, yet." [shocked][laugh] The point that they were making was that until the basics are established, upgrading equipment won't result in a significant increase in performance.

OP needs to handle, and shoot, the different possibilities. The ergonomics, and the "mental feel" as well, are very important. I don't like the "feel" of a Ruger - I like more weight to the front end. So, if I have to use one, I'm thinking about more than just keeping everything lined up with the little black circle 50' away. I had to use a borrowed pistol one night.....now I want a Walther. Where's the smiley for Homer thinking about donuts? [laugh]

IPSCDRL is right about the 41 or a High Standard - old-school feel, and high quality. But, they're both old, and out of production. [sad] This has to be a factor for a new shooter to consider.

I'm a big Ruger fan boy and have owned a few Ruger .22s over the years, both in pistol and in revolver form. I currently have a MKIII heavy barrel. Having said that, I had a chance to shoot two different Victorys a few months ago and was very, very impressed. My buddies stock Victory will shoot circles around my MKIII, which is saying a lot. I'd probably give the Buckmark a miss. They're interesting, but not that awesome. Between Ruger and the Victory, it kind of depends on what you want for aftermarket accessories. If you like to change a lot of stuff, I'd probably get the Ruger, just because there is such a huge aftermarket for it. If you don't like changing much, I'd go for the Victory. I know that one is on my short list now.

i have ruger mkIII 22/45 w all sorts of upgrades and a browning buckmark camper. i prefer the buckmark in every way. however if you want to festoon your pistol w upgrades and accessories then go with the ruger. both are fine 22 pistols.

I have a couple of Mark III's and I've shot a browning challenger and the buckmark. The brownings shot better for me.

But everyone is different. Take someone up on the offer the try them all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20 years ago, I got my first LTC. I joined the local club but then they lost my info in the computer system and had to go get that fixed. I swung by their weekly friday night BS session to fix it.

Guy fixing my computer records on an abacus: "You should join the target shooters club."

Me: "Maybe"

Other guy: "You need a gun."

Me: "I've got a Ruger Mk2."

GFMCR: "No. You need a real gun. That won't work."

G2: "There was a nice blah blah blah at Kittery last week"

GFMCR: "Blah blah blah blah."

Basically, I was totally left out of the conversation of getting ME a gun. [rofl]

And a Ruger has always been more accurate than me. :( Good thing I didn't join. hahaha

Oh mighty Marksmen!
Does anybody have one of the Browning Buckmarks? S&W Victorys?
How are they compared to the Ruger Mark II/III/IV for an inexpensive indoor target gun?

Well... I wouldn't call the Buckmark inexpensive, but I like mine. Solid gun, VERY nice trigger. Hard to find decent replacement target grips for it, though. I'm happy shooting either it or my Mark II.

I'll be at Ayer Sportsman's next Wednesday night shooting bullseye; you're welcome to visit and try both of them if you'd like. Shoot me a PM and let me know.

Ruger mark 2. A bit of a pain to take apart but it's solid and shoots everything. Buy one if you can find it
You can't have mine.

20 years ago, I got my first LTC. I joined the local club but then they lost my info in the computer system and had to go get that fixed. I swung by their weekly friday night BS session to fix it.

Guy fixing my computer records on an abacus: "You should join the target shooters club."

Me: "Maybe"

Other guy: "You need a gun."

Me: "I've got a Ruger Mk2."

GFMCR: "No. You need a real gun. That won't work."

G2: "There was a nice blah blah blah at Kittery last week"

GFMCR: "Blah blah blah blah."

Basically, I was totally left out of the conversation of getting ME a gun. [rofl]

And a Ruger has always been more accurate than me. :( Good thing I didn't join. hahaha

Team captain has a Hammerli that he inherited from his dad. His average is in the 250s. I shoot either my Mark II or my Buckmark. My average is in the 270s. Shooter is MUCH more important than the gun, as long as the gun is a decent one. (IE, not a Jennings!)

the victory is a nice shooter. I've started to put a couple hundred rounds through it every week at the range. super tight groups.

I have shot and owned many 22 target guns Benelli 95e Atlanta (basically the same gun as the Pardini SP), S&W Model 41, Walther USP and OSP, Hi-standard Victor, Unique ITU Olympic, Browning Buckmark although not listed as a target gun, however just as good as any, Browning Gold Medalist, and a Ruger MKIII. They will all work and even though some of the guns I have listed are over $1800.00 they all seemed to preform the same in my hands. Remember in this day and age with CNC all guns are accurate unless there was a problem during manufacture and that doesn't happen too often. It comes down to what you are comfortable with, how comfortable are you with the price, it's in the skill, a good shooter can shoot as good with the Ruger as with a more expensive gun a poor shooter shoots poorly with any gun. Also some other things to consider, some guns have expensive and or hard to get magazines, also some of the more exotic guns are more expensive to repair or more difficult to get parts for. My suggestion is to buy what you feel you can afford and get into the sport join a bulseye team at your local club, most likely you will shoot the same with any gun, buy more ammo with the money you saved and practice it will make what gun you are shooting seem like an expensive gun and you will become just as good as the guy shooting the Pardini. Also invest in a good red dot scope and good mounts this will make all the difference in the world. Enjoy the sport it's not the gun that makes the shooter. Do not try to use a revolver for this sport as some have suggested. In closing may I suggest you purchase the Ruger, there are many after market target parts like grips, trigger kits, scope mounts, magazines and a lot of factory support.

Last edited:
A decent shooter can match most shooting the Mark pistols with a long slide SR22. Another great Option if shooting 20-50 feet, get to know your pistol and all comes together

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom