• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

22 Target Pistol

Price range?

Specific type of shooting?

Your current skill level?

I've just started gallery matches, though I'm not new to shooting; I have a vintage target pistol that shoots better than I will for a long time to come. A $200 used Ruger would be more than enough for me.

Oh...if you belong to a Club, ask the pistol guys for suggestions - you'll likely get offers to "try mine!" At least that's what Trapezoids do....

Last edited:
$300-$600

Indoor target.

Shooting now for 3 months. I do OK.

Price range?

I've just started gallery matches, though I'm not new to shooting; I have a vintage target pistol that shoots better than I will for a long time to come. A $200 used Ruger would be more than enough for me.

I to am looking into a .22 target pistol... However I had just figured a bull barrel mk3 would be it.. So great thread hopefully I can learn something

I to am looking into a .22 target pistol... However I had just figured a bull barrel mk3 would be it.. So great thread hopefully I can learn something

Thats what I bought last month. Very happy with it. Bought it on GB because you can't buy it in this shithole.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:
If you can find someone with a used Ruger Mark III Hunter buy it as the new models aren't MA compliant...yet anyway. I added a Volquartsen target sear and a cheap eBay red dot to my MKIII Hunter and this thing is extremely accurate, probably more accurate than I currently am. I got mine from a guy in NH on gunbroker for $420 who rarely shot it and was in mint condition. I don't have much experience with the standard models of the Mark IIIs but I would imagine they are all great guns. Good luck.

Ruger Mk3's are great I'm also quite fond of my s&w 22a-1. Both are very capable target pistols.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 4

Last edited:
Price range?

Oh...if you belong to a Club, ask the pistol guys for suggestions - you'll likely get offers to "try mine!" At least that's what Trapezoids do....

Hi Gregg134,

MisterHappy has asked you some important questions to consider before purchasing a pistol. You may want to go to a shop and hold a few, because you will find different grip angle options. Also, some of the pistols that folks have mentioned have many upgrade options/accessories available (e.g., grips, sights, triggers) and others are more dead-ends (little room for upgrading). I suggest considering a pistol that can fits into the former class (e.g., Ruger, High Standard, S&W 41) and avoid S&W22a (which is a fine plinker). There are many more expensive options. If you have any specific questions, please feel free to write directly to me.

13ccbd03.jpg

this one

I have a ruger mkIIII hunter. Its a nice little gun. My wife shoots it better than I. Now if I'm going to really want the best chance to hit what I want I reach for my S&W model 41 awesome target gun. Its also not as picky with the ammo as the ruger. Colt woodsman model lin are nice also but seem to be taking jumps in price. I have a 2nd series match target with the flat sided barrel. Great gun also but the trigger has been giving me fits.?

I love my Brownings much more than the Rugers. If you can afford it S&W 41 is also a solid choice and a good investment.

I have a Ruger MKIII Hunter that I really liked, until I added a Volquartsen MKII Accurizing kit and MKII hammer bushing (to remove the magazine disconnect). I really fell in love with the pistol once those parts were added.

It's a PITA to break down. It's a pain in the ass if your brother puts a magazine in backwards (until adding the Volquartsen MKII parts). It's 100% worth it.

ETA: Picture, because the Hunter is the only 22 pistol I think looks good.
10118.jpg

Last edited:
I can't stand the p22. Very ammo fussy and best suited for shooting cans not paper. The MKlll heavy stainless shoots much better than I do but assembly and disassembly took some getting used too. Paid more than I should have but I had cash. If I had left the lgs without it I would have used the moolah for bills.

I have a stainless MKIII target with the 8" barrel and the fancy grips. I love it. I have a red dot on it and it is pretty accurate with my old eyes.

I had a Ruger MKII, but sold it 20 years ago and regretted it for 20 years. This year I bought a MKIII with a bull barrel and love it. I replaced the stupid magazine safety with a Sam Lam bushing and love it even more.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk 2

Back
Top Bottom