.22 Pistol Suggestions??

and he has this silly scope on it (not good for practicing)

Any other suggestions?

What are you looking for? A target .22 pistol or something that is a copy of a full size plastic carry gun?

I love S&W 617 revolvers for target practice and general plinking although the sites are hard to align for shotgun shells and the like.

The S&W 41 and any Ruger Mark II are both awesome target guns but heavy, long and cumbersome.

I have owned all the cheap plastic .22 pistols and settled on a M&P 22. The SIG Mosquito was a close second, but it required CCI Mini Mags to cycle properly. The size and grip angle of the Ruger just didn't do it for me. I have a micro dot on my M&P 22 and it is a hoot at the range. Problem is finding one in this state, I had to jump through quite a few hoops to secure mine.

You really can't go too far wrong since all .22LR ammo is pretty much generally available again.

Chris

Hands down best money I spent on a 22lr pistol was my S&W model 41, I had a high standard it was good also but much more ammo picky.

I have the ruger MkIII hunter and thats been very good but it doesnr see half the range time as the 41. I still long for a nice 22lr revolver!

Hands down best money I spent on a 22lr pistol was my S&W model 41, I had a high standard it was good also but much more ammo picky.

I have the ruger MkIII hunter and thats been very good but it doesnr see half the range time as the 41. I still long for a nice 22lr revolver!

If you've got the cash, PennyPincher's got a S&W 617 for sale, I've got one and it's an absolutely awesome .22 revolver...

Same here. Love that pistol.
The only one I like just a little bit better is my buddy's Hammerli 208 International.

Points to note before jumping into a SR22:

• Lots of them have issues with the magazine disconnect safety. Google it. Mine was back with Ruger for a month to get the thing to run after its first range session. If you can inspect before purchase, dry fire it lots while dropping/reinserting different mags. (Ruger specifically says it is ok to dry fire this rimfire in the instruction manual)
  • Mine will not feed American Eagle ammo at all.
  • It's very small so if you want a full size trainer, this is not it.
  • It's not terribly accurate.

Mine gets little use, and I wish I got a PPQ 22 instead. I usually turn to my Beretta 76 when I want to plink. Its a lovely gun which can also do precision duty.

Well, now you can add Federal Automatch target ammo to the list of stuff that won't cycle through my SR22. CCI Standard velocity is the only one of 4 types I have tried.

Did you get your Beretta yet?

The only ammo I have had troubles with in my SR22 is the greasy rem golden bullet crap in the 525 bulk box. 1 out of every 3 might cycle. After a couple of mags, I gave the rest of the box to my buddy, because I didn't want it polluting my range bag on the ride home.

The only ammo I have had troubles with in my SR22 is the greasy rem golden bullet crap in the 525 bulk box. 1 out of every 3 might cycle. After a couple of mags, I gave the rest of the box to my buddy, because I didn't want it polluting my range bag on the ride home.
funny you say that, I haven't taken the SR22 to the range for awhile and im at 3200rds with it and brought it a couple days ago and had 1 box of golden bullet along with the Blazer I normally shoot with it and had a few failures, I figured with that ammo I would. blazer has been flawless

Last edited:
My brother and i each have an SR-22 and they run great. I also have the Ruger SP101 4" in .22 and its is a great gun.

Callahans in Marlboro has 2 S&W 22a's.

Well, now you can add Federal Automatch target ammo to the list of stuff that won't cycle through my SR22. CCI Standard velocity is the only one of 4 types I have tried.

Did you get your Beretta yet?

Thats a standard velocity ammo. Pretty much none of those will cycle the SR22 well.

Have you tried mini-mag? Blazer?

I've owned the mosquito and initially it sucked with frequent malfunctions. After nearly 3k rounds of painstaking malfunctions it began running without any issues. I still got rid of it. I have the M&P .22 pistol and it has been unbelievably reliable. Definitely a great .22 semi auto platform for anyone looking to mimic a more defensive handgun platform as opposed to a target .22.

I'm always on the hunt for the perfect .22 for my NRA Basic Pistol class.

I start people off with a suppressed 22/45 equipped with a Bushnell TRS25 red dot and a Majestic Arms trigger, sear, and hammer. Easy to hit with, no noise, no recoil.

I've found most of the plastic framed .22s designed to emulate centerfire guns to be unsatisfactory for some reason or another. Whether it was lack of reliability, or poor accuracy, or a difficult trigger. There always seemed to be something.

I now use a Glock frame with a Tactical solutions .22 upper. It allows new shooters to get the feel of a full sized handgun without the resultant noise, recoil, and ammo cost.
I'm a big fan of progressing up slowly simply because it takes a lot less time to avoid developing a flinch or a push than it does to eliminate one thats been created by too rapidly moving to "too much" of a gun.

Don

I had the ruger and it was pretty cool but I just felt like I was getting cheated shooting such a gutless round out of a handgun. I thought about buying the .22 kit for Glocks but its pricey.

Thats a standard velocity ammo. Pretty much none of those will cycle the SR22 well.

Have you tried mini-mag? Blazer?

I haven't. This was supposed to be a plinker and learning gun for the Mrs. I don't really want to be shooting minimags at 18c a round. I could be shooting 9mm for that price. In case I was unclear before, the CCI standard V rounds seem to cycle well. Just everything else I have tried doesn't!

Last edited:
I haven't. This was supposed to be a plinker and learning gun for the Mrs. I don't really want to be shooting minimags at 18c a round. I could be shooting 9mm for that price. In case I was unclear before, the CCI standard V rounds seem to cycle well. Just everything else I have tried doesn't!

Minimags are down to 7-8c a round now, but point taken.

I prefer a 22 auto to a revolver. I can steady the auto's barrel when shooting two handed by reaching out under it's barrel ahead of the trigger guard.

woodsmantarget.jpg

I like the old Colt Woodsman best.

Last edited:

I understand completely. Minimags now cost more than it costs me to reload 9mm. (About 10.5 cents each)

Give CCI Blazer a try. Its my go-to cheap ammo.

I also got lucky in that I was able to pick up 2 cases of "bucket o bullets" cheap just before Newtown. ($190/case of 5600 rounds) Thats 8 buckets. Its what has kept me going for the last two years. They are a bit large at the bullet head. So they won't run in anything with a tight chamber. But in my Rugers handguns as wall as my stock barrelled 10/22, M&P 15/22 and some others they run fine.

They won't run in my CMMG .22 cal AR or in my Spikes .22 conversion unit. For that I need to use blazers or MiniMags.

Don

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom