• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

22 inch barrel or 26 inch barrel on a rem 700?

What are the advantages of having a 26 inch barrel? Also, whats a good twist rate, and a good cheap scope for a remington 700 in 308? I want to be able to shoot out to 600, 700 yards. I probably couldnt make that shot, but would like to have the ability to.

While I'd like to believe that the longer barrel is always better for precision shooting, my observations and experience is to the contrary: variations in barrel quality, including chambering specs and execution and rifling method and execution) seem to dwarf the difference inherent in the extra length. Likewise, while a longer sight radius always makes a difference when shooting iron sights, today precision shooting almost always involves shooting through glass.

Frankly, if I were building the rifle you're describing, I'd go elsewhere than a Remington 700, but that isn't what was asked. A good 20" barrel will outshoot a lower quality 26" barrel.

A longer barrel will generally give slightly higher velocity, but the main advantage is the ability to capture all the energy of a slower powder if that is what gives the most accurate load in your rifle. Unless you are working up a load with a chronograph and measuring standard deviation, you won't be able to measure the difference, though. I would stick with a 22" barrel if you plan to do any hunting, a 26" barrel is a little more more unwieldy in the field. I have a 700 in 30.06, and I will never part with it. It consistently shoots sub-MOA with good factory or handloaded ammo. I can keep a group the size of the palm of my hand at 500 yds. The scope is not expensive, but isn't a cheap one either. For long distance shooting without dropping a huge wad of cash, the 700 is a great choice.

What I read about the 700 is the 20" is just as accurate as the 26". I believe all but 1 or 2 of them are 1/12 twist which is fine. Also theres no "good cheap" scopes. Will a cheap scope work? Sure but it won't have the features of a higher end scope or the quality glass so at higher magnifications it will be hazy looking.

You will hear and read about the loss of speed from a short barrel. This has not been my experience. There is some loss but nowhere near the amount advertise (100fps per inch). I have seen some gurus suggest 50 fps. The fact is it is closer to 20 fps and that is minimal. The difference between a 20 inch barrel and a 26 COULD be as much as 100-120 fps. It is not enough to warrant the extra weight and the PIA it is in brush. Stick with the 20-24 inch and you will be fine at any range an everyday shooter should be shooting at game. IMHO you can't go wrong with Remington 700. The older ones 70's-80's are buy far the best bolt action factory guns on the market. The action is sought after buy those who make customs that matter and bring a very high premium. I may be a touch biased but I know Remington's and have never had a bad one. Hagrid

Back
Top Bottom