.22 handgun w/ red dot for female shooter (gallery course)?

Hi guys,

Am looking for a .22 that my girlfriend can use in .22 Gallery competition. Needs to be fairly lightweight for her to be able to hold steady, and need to be able to mount a red dot. What do you guys think I should look at?

She shot my Browning Buckmark 5.5 Target at a match on Tuesday and it was a tad heavy for her. Not including a scope, the Buckmark weighs in at 35 oz.

Thoughts?

If weight is an issue take a look at the Walther sp22. A member of my bullseye team shot with one last year and did pretty well. Another option is to look at one of the short barrel (doesn't matter since it's got a red dot) Ruger 22/45. The polymer grip makes it a lot lighter than a regular Ruger MkIII. I'd have her try one first because it will be top heavy.

Thanks! Is that Walther kosher for a MA dealer?

Good thought about the Ruger 22/45 being top heavy. I do want her to try hefting one.

I thought I saw a S&W 422 listed somewhere for cheap money. Light, aluminum frame gun. I have the 622 (same, aluminum color vs. blued aluminum) with an UltraDot on it. Not heavy but I never measured it.

ETA: I messed up model numbers, sorry. S&W 422 and 622 are .22LR pistols.

Last edited:
I thought I saw a S&W 442 listed somewhere for cheap money. Light, aluminum frame gun. I have the 622 (same, aluminum color vs. blued aluminum) with an UltraDot on it. Not heavy but I never measured it.

442 is a 38 +P 5 shot revolver

If you are anywhere near Cape Cod and she would like to try my Ruger, she is welcome to give it a go. For Gallery it uses an UltraDot Match dot installed rearward by Greg Derr to balance it better. Currently it has a C-More SPS but I can change them easily. The Ruger is a MKIII Target which has the 5.5" Bull barrel. It is capable of consistent 280s plus.

My e mail is TY43215 at comcast.net

Let me know if she wants to try it

442 is a 38 +P 5 shot revolver

Ok, thanks, that's not going to work. I really need to stick with a semi-auto for this purpose. I do appreciate the ideas, though.[cheers]

I'm sure Len mistyped and meant a S&W 422 which is a poor mans model 41 (semi-auto .22LR)

Yup, fumble-fingers here . . . I meant 422 and modified my original post accordingly. Thanks for picking that up.

Oh, I didn't even see that it was LenS.[wave]

The 422 would be worth looking at. Mr. S., I wish I knew where you saw it.

I thought it was here on NES for $175 (remember the price), although not certain that it was here.

OK, I just weighed my S&W 622 with Ultra-Dot and AimTech grip-mount (forget the proper name for this) . . . total weight with mag (empty) inserted was exactly 32 oz (postal scale).

If she wants to try it out and we can arrange a convenient time, we can try to do that at either Mansfield F&G or Braintree R&P?

Wow, thank much to both of you for the offers! Let me run it past her. I know that we have some plans already for the next couple of weekends, but maybe we can do something at some point. Will have to get back to you.

32 oz. WITH scope sounds great. Given that they don't command the same premium as a 41, I might just look for one anyway.[smile]

Wow, thank much to both of you for the offers! Let me run it past her. I know that we have some plans already for the next couple of weekends, but maybe we can do something at some point. Will have to get back to you.

32 oz. WITH scope sounds great. Given that they don't command the same premium as a 41, I might just look for one anyway.[smile]

As an FYI, don't short change her with too light a gun. Exercises to build shoulder muscles work well. The gun should be properly balanced for her and comfortable. The longest it needs to be held up is only 90 seconds so the weight really doesn't matter a whole lot.

When time allows get in touch, I have a range 1 mile from my house and it is about 1.5 miles from Rte 6 exit 9. n We can meet most Saturdays and give it a test drive.

Another point worthy of note is that the Ruger MkIIIs come with a weaver rail from the factory, with the receiver already bored for the mounting screws.

If you're concerned about top-heavy weightiness in the 22/45, consider the 4" MkIII. It's a metal frame and shorter barrel, so the weight is distributed differently.

Cheap red dots work very well on these .22s, and many of them weigh very little.

Last edited:
You could be paying too much attention to the weight of the pistol. With some practice anyone can get used to the weight of a 22 target pistol and scope.

My daughter shoots a Beretta U22 Neos. Comes with a rail, is light enough for an 11 year old, and she really likes it. Bought a cheap dot and she's shooting like a champ.

Kimber45

Thanks for the info and the offers, guys. Scheduling is a little tough right now, but when that loosens up, we may be in touch. In the meantime, we are stopping at gun stores when we find ourselves passing one, and trying to heft various different models.

A big thanks to everyone who commented and offered information and help! [cheers]

We ended up finding a used Ruger Mk III Target with 5.5" bull barrel, wood grips, and a sweet Volquartsen (sp?) trigger at 4 Seasons, so I bought it. It will remain mine and in my possession until she completes her basic class and has her permit, then I will transfer it over to her.

She had tried a Mk III Hunter with the 6.88" barrel and its weight was more or less ok, so the 5.5 should be a good weight for her. Plus, there are eleventy-billion accessories and grips available for the Ruger, so if/as her preferences change, we can easily modify the gun to suit.

I have extra magazines on order from MidwayUSA and a red dot scope from Larrysguns on the way, so she'll be completely set-up and ready to go soon. [banana]

Last edited:
A big thanks to everyone who commented and offered information and help! [cheers]

We ended up finding a used Ruger Mk III Target with 5.5" bull barrel, wood grips, and a sweet Volquartsen (sp?) trigger at 4 Seasons, so I bought it. It will remain mine and in my possession until she completes her basic class and has her permit, then I will transfer it over to her.

She had tried a Mk III Hunter with the 6.88" barrel and its weight was more or less ok, so the 5.5 should be a good weight for her. Plus, there are eleventy-billion accessories and grips available for the Ruger, so if/as her preferences change, we can easily modify the gun to suit.

I have extra magazines on order from MidwayUSA and a red dot scope from Larrysguns on the way, so she'll be completely set-up and ready to go soon. [banana]

Good choice. Have Greg Derr mount the dot to the rear after removing the sights. It balances much better. Best thing I ever did to mine

Read the manual carefully before your first dis-assembly.

... and post here on the forum for help when you get stuck... there's several of us here that will be glad to help you get it un-stuck... although there may still be someone here with a box-o-Ruger parts, if I recall...

Read the manual carefully before your first dis-assembly.

... and post here on the forum for help when you get stuck... there's several of us here that will be glad to help you get it un-stuck... although there may still be someone here with a box-o-Ruger parts, if I recall...

Thanks, I will be very careful about that.

Good choice. Have Greg Derr mount the dot to the rear after removing the sights. It balances much better. Best thing I ever did to mine

Thanks for the thought. I will probably mount it myself first, so we can shoot this weekend and for budgetary reasons, but will keep that thought in the back of my mind, in case she struggles with it.

Back
Top Bottom