.22 at 5 yards

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recommend against trying either, but I think your analogy might fail because of the broad spectrum of responses possible in both cases.

In both cases a surprise (punch or shot) that fails to reduce function of an attacker or victim might go unnoticed (in terms of function) in the heat of the moment (until the longer term damage - swelling, blood loss, etc... - kicks in), but both also have a variety of potential responses ranging from immediate incapacitation to little effect at all based on the damage done by the impact.

A punch is perfectly capable of being lethal if well placed and hard enough. A bullet is perfectly capable of passing through the body with little to no immediately recognized effect.

So, what exactly are you assuming would be the same different between a sucker punch and a "boxing style" hit to a ready target?

Please keep these punches limited to .22 caliber

One of my buddies argued with his dad about being able to knock someone down with a
.22 pistol at 5 yards when the person was charging.. I was on the dads side and said BS. I say this because I am a big guy and i bet that If I was pissed enought, I would get to the shooter.... THOUGHTS????

1. Could this be reaslistic to knock someone down with a .22
2. I know a larger caliber is better, but keep the comments focused on a .22

A friend of mine is a nurse. He shutters at the thought of a 22. He thinks that they are more deadly. They travel through the system and eventually get you. They can move quite from the impact point. The 45 might stop the guy and he walks away 2 days later thanks to the Boston medical system, but the 22 victim does not make it per my friend.

bill

Wow...this comment begs some more detail [grin]

Why didn't they yank the bullet?
How did you get shot?
Did you beat the crap out of the person who did it?

The Dr. in the ER said that the bullet had fragmented inside the joint and that they would practically have to cut off my foot in order to take it out. My current Dr. asked me the same question and he said that they probably should have tried to take it out also. It was 20 years ago and a hick town hospital, so who knows?

The bullet was a gift from a stupid friend that was trying to pry a rim fire .22 out of a rifle with a screw driver. I knew nothing about guns at the time (neither did he apparently) and it "just went off". Yeah I was pissed and we had it out, but the kid was my best friend at the time. We are still friends to this day, but I would never take him shooting. I also was on crutches for about 3-4 months, so by the time I was able to kick anyone's ass I was pretty much over it. I didn't talk to him for a while, but I have a hard time staying pissed at anyone. Even though it was stupid, it was still a mistake. Just too bad that I had to suffer for his youthful stupidity.

Last edited:
Kind of a stupid question.

A stern word might work , or a slap on the nose , or a flashlight across the face , or shank him with an expensive tactical folding knife , or ... all the way up to shooting him in the face with a 44 mag. ... my point is any attack can be stopped with the appropriate level of force. I have a few different guns , and carrying a 22lr is pretty low on my list of " enough gun just in case. "

" stopping power " & lethality are not always the same thing. A fatal wound might take a few minutes to kill someone. Bashing him in the temple with the gun might stop him faster than shooting him through the heart.

But ... the only valid answer is : Who the hell knows ? .. and lets not find out.

well that's because you're a switched on operator. one of the nine, you know?

btw- did you ask for a time out so you could put on knee pads and boxing gloves before you really got down to business? you wouldn't be any good to anyone in a real fight later if you busted a knuckle on someone's head in training. [rofl][rofl][rofl]
No, but I did yell "no fair!" [laugh] Mostly it was just that there wasn't much in my head to damage... [wink]

As for the knee pads, we should add some edged weapons to round out the experience...

Last edited by a moderator:
I was wondering the same thing but if you consider the disposal there after then the butcher knife makes sense.

Of course, that's it.... thinking ahead. I wasn't planning for after!!! That is what makes the EC legend grow!!!![laugh]

Did'nt read the WHOLE thread, but IIRC the principles of physics say no. Not from the forward motion of weight vs size /size-projected/ in a such a short distance. You've a 'puter do the equation. A 250lb guy running @ you from 5yrds.......Hes going to get ya,..somehow.

Last edited:
Any of you who doubt a 22 will quickly knock down a BG need to watch the video of President Reagan being shot. Specifically the other 3 victims who all are incapacitated very quickly.

I'm sure Peter Soulis would find that video interesting.

22 lr drops 250+ lb A-Hole

[smile] Gotta do it. Just gotta
SURE why not. One of those treated but dry 4" x 6" rounds over
landscape timbers, you know the 2.17 each ones at the Evil Orange Place[laugh]
does not stand a chance to a Mini-Mag 36-40 gr rn.
The right shot /s DRT[shocked]
IBTL cause it will happen soon[rolleyes]

ps had to use as many emos as I felt I could[wink]

[smile] Gotta do it. Just gotta
SURE why not. One of those treated but dry 4" x 6" rounds over
landscape timbers, you know the 2.17 each ones at the Evil Orange Place[laugh]
does not stand a chance to a Mini-Mag 36-40 gr rn.
The right shot /s DRT[shocked]
IBTL cause it will happen soon[rolleyes]

ps had to use as many emos as I felt I could[wink]

I honestly have no idea what you are talking about.

out of a handgun last time i shot into a phone book with a .22 it went in further than fiochi .32acp and it was a lead bullet and it absolutely mushroomed scary i think 10 shots with one they would probably fall dead before they got to you expecialy if you could make one in the head or just go for the reverse mozambique the hip/crotch shot.

Dude ! Jose would chew those things up and spit em back at ya as five .44's. [wink]

Nope, he would just return a 6 string from that purdy 66 he boasts of in pics whenever he can. You've seen people who flip open a wallet and show pictures of their kids? Jose shows that model 66.

One of my buddies argued with his dad about being able to knock someone down with a
.22 pistol at 5 yards when the person was charging.. I was on the dads side and said BS. I say this because I am a big guy and i bet that If I was pissed enought, I would get to the shooter.... THOUGHTS????

shock or surprise???? maybe.... and thats a maybe....

by shear force? uh.... no. Not balistically possible on a large adult.

and this was disscussed in my last "Patrol rifle Instructor" class at S&W.

Rob

Nope, he would just return a 6 string from that purdy 66 he boasts of in pics whenever he can. You've seen people who flip open a wallet and show pictures of their kids? Jose shows that model 66.

[laugh]
And he would do it while smoking the tobacco pipe he shows off just as often!

A fair speed for someone charging at your friend would be about 10 MPH. At that speed the attacker would cover the 5 yards (15 feet) in about one second. I doubt your friend would be able to react and fire 10 rounds in that brief period of time, not to mention the shot placement that would be needed to hit the few spots on a moving target that would be quickly vulnerable to a .22 projectile.

A shot to the eye socket, kneecap or through the throat to the spinal cord IMO would be a matter of luck over skill. Hard to miss but harder to stop.

Exactly, well said.

I don't think any handgun will stop you in the 1/2 second it takes to go 15 feet unless you get a CNS hit.
Even multiple hits that takes out the heart big time will still take several seconds to have a physical effect.

Obviously if shot placement is the same a .45 will do more damage than a .22.

But don't discount a .22 as a .22 somewhat longer range defensive weapon. I have a well worked Ruger 10/22 that I (a thoroughly mediocre shooter) can use to put 10 shots of .22 into a 12" gong at 30 ft in just a hair over 2 seconds. The trigger is excellent and the recoil does not move the gun off target. As a survival gun this might be all you have. A 10/22 is supremely reliable and 1000 rounds of .22 weighs about 8 lbs.

Don

One other thing. At a recent training we talked about pelvic girdle shots on deranged and/or body armored people. ***blatant speculation to follow*** I suspect that a .22 would punch nice little holes in that area doing little bone damage whereas a HP .45 that expands to .75" has a greater shot of actually breaking the bone and thus denying the bad guy the use of that leg. To put it into perspective, a .75 cal expanded .45 would have 11 times the surface area of an unexpanded .22. I use an unexpanded .22 because a hp 22 would have penetration issues.

Last edited:
OK. This has gone on long enough.

The only thing worse than a ".22-for-self-defense" thread is a "What-gun-for-my-wife?" or "Pulled-over-while-carrying" thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom