• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

21 killed, 18 injured in shooting at elementary school in Uvalde, Texas

Of course.

They're underfunded, overworked, and the pay attracts the least capable.

There are many reasons why the social work system is broken. As I said, I'd never want to work within that structure. I doubt you would, either. It's an impossible job to do well.
BTW, the ENTIRE system of Public Government is broken and has been for some time.

You are also aware that since covid in home visits were stopped and nobody was watching anybody or checking anything, all social workers were working from home.

Yes.

That's one of the "many reasons why the social work system is broken." As I say, it's an impossible job to do well.

Of course.

They're underfunded, overworked, and the pay attracts the least capable.

There are many reasons why the social work system is broken. As I said, I'd never want to work within that structure. I doubt you would, either. It's an impossible job to do well.

As my cousin put it, trying to get through to kids while their young is a joke. There’s no facility for troubled youth and all they could do is drop them off at a foster home that already had 5 plus foster kids. Maybe not all foster families, but a big portion of them were just in it for the money and couldn’t care less about the kids well-being.

I wouldn’t bash social workers unless you’ve tried to live/work in those shoes. Completely thankless and significantly under supported profession.

I doubt any criminal charges will come out of it. I doubt anyone is even going to lose their job. How they will ever walk and meet the eyes of anyone in the town is beyond me.

The problem is what 'crime' did those cops commit? If there is a crime, how do you prove it beyond reasonable doubt? I did a search for Texas law of malfeasance, misfeasance, and nonfeasance. Nothing turned up. Maybe you can shoe horn another law, but is that a good thing?

I've worked with cowards before, the only thing that dealt with them was the rest of us refusing to work with them. Eventually, they just went away. I'm not sure how that works when it's pretty much an entire department.
The only thing that could get some of them is the lying afterward, and that’s not likely either.

The lack of comment by the NH delegation to congress suggests they're sweating things.....

Kuster has signed on as a co sponsort....predictably

Pappas's name doesnt show up as of today

“However, only one of the Democrats in the Granite State delegation — Sen. Jeanne Shaheen — posted a response to Biden's speech Thursday night.

"Commonsense gun reform and upholding the 2nd amendment are not mutually exclusive. Our people – our children – deserve better. They deserve action from Congress now," Shaheen tweeted.

Shaheen is also the only member of the delegation not up for re-election this November.”

The only thing that could get some of them is the lying afterward, and that’s not likely either.

Yeah, the nineteen guys in the hallway, I think, will never be charged for anything. They're certainly guilty of procedural violations that ought to get them fired, though even that might be a tough sell under the circumstances.

Part of me thinks that's disgusting, of course. But a larger part of me knows that if the statute doesn't support a prosecution, then the government has no business arresting anybody, nor even hassling them. It's a toughie.

I think the minions were following orders blindly (that’s a whole other terrifying topic for another thread), but the chief who ordered them to stand down/direct traffic is now a politician and while he may hold the most responsibility, politicians are slippery and I doubt there’ll be any official justice.

Besides. The Biden DOJ is tasked with “investigating” police response. They have already concluded “the guns” were responsible for the deaths of the 19 children. All 10+ new proposed gun ban bills are riding on that talking point.

How would it look if suddenly the DOJ came out and said it was not “the guns” but inept policing responsible? Even casting shade on the response, with no finding of criminal wrong doing will be deemed too much of a distraction which might deflate the “strike while the iron is hot” advantage the gun grabbers believe they now have.

The DOJ, I predict will yield to the “greater good” and not insert any new narrative that might jeopardize the momentum the gun bills currently have.

As my cousin put it, trying to get through to kids while their young is a joke. There’s no facility for troubled youth and all they could do is drop them off at a foster home that already had 5 plus foster kids. Maybe not all foster families, but a big portion of them were just in it for the money and couldn’t care less about the kids well-being.

I wouldn’t bash social workers unless you’ve tried to live/work in those shoes. Completely thankless and significantly under supported profession.
And on the other hand, I've seen a friend going through the entire DCF scenario that the agency is a monster to deal with over a sunburn her child acquired at preschool. It's a mirror of Uvalde police department: they're useless against genuine problems but omnipotent to create hell in normal people's lives. FBI and DoJ too, they work like horseflies against Trump but completely inept when the criminals are in the Clinton cartel. The root of problem is that we now have a government that's actively or subconsciously works against people, and this permeats at all levels.

The Uvalde Police Scandal​

Students inside were calling 911 and begging for help. The officers stayed outside for almost an hour during the mass shooting.​

From Peggy Noonan in the WSJ.

"The great sin in what happened in Texas is that an 18-year-old with murder in his heart walked into a public school and shot to death 19 kids and two teachers. The great shock is what the police did—their incompetence on the scene and apparent lies afterward. This aspect has rocked the American people.

Uvalde wasn’t an “apparent law-enforcement failure.” It is the biggest law-enforcement scandal since George Floyd, and therefore one of the biggest in U.S. history. Children, some already shot, some not, were trapped in adjoining classrooms. As many as 19 cops were gathered in the hall just outside. The Washington Post timeline has the killer roaming the classrooms: “The attack went for so long, witnesses said, that the gunman had time to taunt his victims before killing them, even putting on songs that one student described to CNN as ‘I-want-people-to-die music.’ ”

Students inside were calling 911 and begging for help. The officers failed to move for almost an hour.

Everyone in America knows the story. Finding out exactly how and why it happened is the urgent business of government. We can’t let it dribble away into the narrative void and settle for excuses. “People are still shaken up.” “Probes take time.” “We’re still burying the children.” We can’t let the idea settle in that this is how it is now, if bad trouble comes you’re on your own. It is too demoralizing.

We can’t let it settle in that the police can’t be relied on to be physically braver than other people. An implicit agreement in going into the profession is that you’re physically brave. I don’t understand those saying with nonjudgmental empathy, “I’m not sure I would have gone in.” It was their job to go in. If you can’t cut it, then don’t join and get the badge, the gun and the pension.

The most focused and intense investigating has to be done now, when it’s still fresh and raw—before the 19 cops and their commanders fully close ranks, if they haven’t already, and lawyer up.

Those officers—they know everything that happened while nothing was done for an hour. A lot of them would have had to override their own common sense to stand down under orders; most would have had to override a natural impulse toward compassion. Many would be angry now, or full of reproach or a need to explain.

Get them now.

Within moments of the massacre’s ending, the police were issuing strange claims. They said the shooter was confronted by a school guard and shots were exchanged. Not true. They said the shooter was wearing body armor. He wasn’t. They said he was “barricaded” inside the classroom. Is that the right word for a guy behind a single locked door? They said a teacher left open the door the shooter used to enter. Videotape showed otherwise. They didn’t admit what happened outside the school as parents pleaded with the police to do something and tried to fight past the cordon so at least they could do something. The Washington Post had a witness who heard parents tell the police, “Do your f— job!” The police said they were. A man yelled, “Get your f— rifles and handle business!” Those parents were patronized and pushed around.

Even accounting for the fog of war there’s something next-level about the spin and falsehoods that occurred in Uvalde.

The commander on scene, school district police chief Pete Arredondo, hasn’t given a public statement on what went wrong. Why is he allowed not to tell the public what happened? He didn’t take reporters’ questions until cornered Wednesday by CNN’s Shimon Prokupecz. Mr. Arredondo was evasive. Reports he’s stiff-arming investigators are wrong, he said; he’s in touch with them and he’ll have more to say but not now. Then, in fatherly tones: “We’re not going to release anything. We have people in our community being buried. So we’re going to be respectful.”

A better form of respect would have been stopping the guy who left them grieving their dead children.

What I fear is a final report issued in six months or a year that will hit all the smarmy rhetorical notes—“a day of epic tragedy for our brothers and sisters in a small Texas town”—but fail, utterly, to make clear who was responsible for the lost hour.

All this has made Gov. Greg Abbott look particularly bad. He gave the imprimatur of his office to early police fictions. In his first news conference following the massacre he was strangely insistent on their sterling valor: “They showed amazing courage by running toward gunfire.”

Only after videos of the parents being pushed around by the cops made their way to social media did he make an about-face. In a later news conference he talked of free funerals and mental health resources. Pressed finally on what was already becoming a police scandal, he said he’d been “misled” by authorities and was “livid.” Glad he talked about his emotions. We don’t do that enough in America.

But who misled him? Do they still have a job?

You wonder what his first briefing was like.

Governor: “I need the truth: What went down?”

Burly police official in Stetson: “Within minutes we stormed the school like Iwo Jima—took out the enemy under a hail of fire, carried the women and children to safety. Fixed bayonets. Knives in our teeth. Trust me.”

Governor: “Got it, thanks!”

There is only one way to handle such a mistake: know it won’t disappear. Lead a swift and brutal investigation, talk about it every day, keep the heat on. When people know you’re playing it straight, they’re generous. When they know you aren’t—there’s an election in November and they’ll let you know.

I close with a thought tugging around my brain. I think I am seeing a broad and general decline in professionalism in America, a deterioration of our pride in concepts like rigor and excellence. Jan. 6 comes and law enforcement agencies are weak and unprepared and the U.S. Capitol falls to a small army of mooks. Afghanistan and the departure that was really a collapse, all traceable to the incompetence of diplomatic and military leadership. It’s like everyone’s forgotten the mission.

I’m not saying, “Oh, America was once so wonderful and now it’s not.” I’m saying we are losing old habits of discipline and pride in expertise—of peerlessness. There was a kind of American gleam. If the world called on us—in business, the arts, the military, diplomacy, science—they knew they were going to get help. The grown-ups had arrived, with their deep competence.

America now feels more like people who took the Expedited Three Month Training Course and got the security badge and went to work and formed an affinity group to advocate for change. A people who love to talk, endlessly, about sensitivity, yet aren’t sensitive enough to save the children bleeding out on the other side of the door.

I fear that as a people we’re becoming not only increasingly unimpressive but increasingly unlovable.

My God, I’ve never seen a country so in need of a hero."

News flash Peggy, we had one and his name was Donald Trump. He was a competent CEO who demanded accountability from his people and the Govt. but people like you vowed to destroy him because he hurt peoples feelings and called out people like you.

This story gets suspiciouser and suspiciouser.

Cody Briseno said he and a co-worker were about eight to 10 feet away from where 18-year-old Salvador Ramos crashed his pick-up truck in a ditch on May 24, and he initially sought to offer the teenager help.

But as he realized Ramos had an AR-15 rifle and had an 'evil look' while walking towards the elementary school, Briseno said he decided to run over - watching Ramos enter the building through an unlocked door.

As he ran over to the school, though, Briseno said, a cop asked him where he was going.

'I'm going in and try to stop them,' Briseno remembers telling the officer. 'I told him that [Ramos is] already inside the school.'

But the cop told him to stay back and shut up, NBC News reports.

This story gets suspiciouser and suspiciouser.

Lesson for us here:

“Briseno looked outside to see the gunman kneeling and reloading and then heading for the school. He phoned his wife: "Hey, bring me my gun," he says he told her.

Gunfire was erupting at the school, he said. He says he saw the man shoot into campus windows.

By the time his wife arrived, the first officers were arriving, too, Briseno said. He marched ahead, gun in hand, when he was stopped by police.

"I feel guilty man, 'cause I couldn’t stop (him)," Briseno said emotionally. "He was shooting at the windows, and I didn’t have my gun on me."

LOL.

That cop was never going to put that fire out. He would have pulled over if you hadn't gotten there first - and "called it in" and sat there and watched the car burn while waiting for a fire truck to arrive.

Think out how utterly retarded that is. First off the expense of rolling a fire truck out - and also the likelihood that the car is going to burn just that much worse while the fire gets going even more until the pumper arrives. Maybe that woman didn't have insurance . You putting the fire out maybe saves the car and it's repairable - vs - it burns so much more that it's now unrepairable and she's phucked. Maybe she's living on a shoestring and you just saved her ass from losing that car and maybe even her job because she can't afford another car.
Hey, c'mon man, that service of a cop calling a fire truck out is invaluable. Like, not everyone can do that sort of thing, it requires years of training and dues to the police union.

Any cop in that city must be walking on eggshells right now. Why they are not being charged at this point is the crime here.
There is no law that says they have to run into a deadly situation to protect anyone, even if people are being murdered.

The days of 9/11 and the hero worship of first responders running into the towers is over. We say them sit on their hands during the 2020 riots and we've seen enough evidence that when there is an armed assault of another person, the police are going to wait for SWAT and tac teams.

I see a major loss in support and faith in police after this and even myself I see the patrol cars driving around and I just look at the pricks behind the wheel and wonder, "What good are they for other than writing tickets and and telling one side to leave for the night during a Domestic?"

They're just a drain on our resources.

I doubt any criminal charges will come out of it. I doubt anyone is even going to lose their job. How they will ever walk and meet the eyes of anyone in the town is beyond me.

I've worked with cowards before, the only thing that dealt with them was the rest of us refusing to work with them. Eventually, they just went away. I'm not sure how that works when it's pretty much an entire department.
The Uvalde PD doesn't have a soul, they are effectively drones who will soldier on until they get a new job with higher pay at another department. Until then they'll spend their weekends at sports games, entertainment venues, buying a new house, and counting their sweet, sweet pension cuz that pension and those bennies are to die for... well, not literally.

I don't think for a second that any of the Uvalde police who were in the hallway give a damn what anyone thinks about them. They could have been shot, they could have been killed. They went above and beyond the call of duty by following orders and they're not appreciated by the community because the community is ignorant and doesn't understand because they're not police and anyone who isn't or has been a cop cannot fairly criticize police because they are such special members of society.

The Uvalde Police Scandal​

Students inside were calling 911 and begging for help. The officers stayed outside for almost an hour during the mass shooting.​

From Peggy Noonan in the WSJ.

"The great sin in what happened in Texas is that an 18-year-old with murder in his heart walked into a public school and shot to death 19 kids and two teachers. The great shock is what the police did—their incompetence on the scene and apparent lies afterward. This aspect has rocked the American people.

Uvalde wasn’t an “apparent law-enforcement failure.” It is the biggest law-enforcement scandal since George Floyd, and therefore one of the biggest in U.S. history. Children, some already shot, some not, were trapped in adjoining classrooms. As many as 19 cops were gathered in the hall just outside. The Washington Post timeline has the killer roaming the classrooms: “The attack went for so long, witnesses said, that the gunman had time to taunt his victims before killing them, even putting on songs that one student described to CNN as ‘I-want-people-to-die music.’ ”

Students inside were calling 911 and begging for help. The officers failed to move for almost an hour.

Everyone in America knows the story. Finding out exactly how and why it happened is the urgent business of government. We can’t let it dribble away into the narrative void and settle for excuses. “People are still shaken up.” “Probes take time.” “We’re still burying the children.” We can’t let the idea settle in that this is how it is now, if bad trouble comes you’re on your own. It is too demoralizing.

We can’t let it settle in that the police can’t be relied on to be physically braver than other people. An implicit agreement in going into the profession is that you’re physically brave. I don’t understand those saying with nonjudgmental empathy, “I’m not sure I would have gone in.” It was their job to go in. If you can’t cut it, then don’t join and get the badge, the gun and the pension.

The most focused and intense investigating has to be done now, when it’s still fresh and raw—before the 19 cops and their commanders fully close ranks, if they haven’t already, and lawyer up.

Those officers—they know everything that happened while nothing was done for an hour. A lot of them would have had to override their own common sense to stand down under orders; most would have had to override a natural impulse toward compassion. Many would be angry now, or full of reproach or a need to explain.

Get them now.

Within moments of the massacre’s ending, the police were issuing strange claims. They said the shooter was confronted by a school guard and shots were exchanged. Not true. They said the shooter was wearing body armor. He wasn’t. They said he was “barricaded” inside the classroom. Is that the right word for a guy behind a single locked door? They said a teacher left open the door the shooter used to enter. Videotape showed otherwise. They didn’t admit what happened outside the school as parents pleaded with the police to do something and tried to fight past the cordon so at least they could do something. The Washington Post had a witness who heard parents tell the police, “Do your f— job!” The police said they were. A man yelled, “Get your f— rifles and handle business!” Those parents were patronized and pushed around.

Even accounting for the fog of war there’s something next-level about the spin and falsehoods that occurred in Uvalde.

The commander on scene, school district police chief Pete Arredondo, hasn’t given a public statement on what went wrong. Why is he allowed not to tell the public what happened? He didn’t take reporters’ questions until cornered Wednesday by CNN’s Shimon Prokupecz. Mr. Arredondo was evasive. Reports he’s stiff-arming investigators are wrong, he said; he’s in touch with them and he’ll have more to say but not now. Then, in fatherly tones: “We’re not going to release anything. We have people in our community being buried. So we’re going to be respectful.”

A better form of respect would have been stopping the guy who left them grieving their dead children.

What I fear is a final report issued in six months or a year that will hit all the smarmy rhetorical notes—“a day of epic tragedy for our brothers and sisters in a small Texas town”—but fail, utterly, to make clear who was responsible for the lost hour.

All this has made Gov. Greg Abbott look particularly bad. He gave the imprimatur of his office to early police fictions. In his first news conference following the massacre he was strangely insistent on their sterling valor: “They showed amazing courage by running toward gunfire.”

Only after videos of the parents being pushed around by the cops made their way to social media did he make an about-face. In a later news conference he talked of free funerals and mental health resources. Pressed finally on what was already becoming a police scandal, he said he’d been “misled” by authorities and was “livid.” Glad he talked about his emotions. We don’t do that enough in America.

But who misled him? Do they still have a job?

You wonder what his first briefing was like.

Governor: “I need the truth: What went down?”

Burly police official in Stetson: “Within minutes we stormed the school like Iwo Jima—took out the enemy under a hail of fire, carried the women and children to safety. Fixed bayonets. Knives in our teeth. Trust me.”

Governor: “Got it, thanks!”

There is only one way to handle such a mistake: know it won’t disappear. Lead a swift and brutal investigation, talk about it every day, keep the heat on. When people know you’re playing it straight, they’re generous. When they know you aren’t—there’s an election in November and they’ll let you know.

I close with a thought tugging around my brain. I think I am seeing a broad and general decline in professionalism in America, a deterioration of our pride in concepts like rigor and excellence. Jan. 6 comes and law enforcement agencies are weak and unprepared and the U.S. Capitol falls to a small army of mooks. Afghanistan and the departure that was really a collapse, all traceable to the incompetence of diplomatic and military leadership. It’s like everyone’s forgotten the mission.

I’m not saying, “Oh, America was once so wonderful and now it’s not.” I’m saying we are losing old habits of discipline and pride in expertise—of peerlessness. There was a kind of American gleam. If the world called on us—in business, the arts, the military, diplomacy, science—they knew they were going to get help. The grown-ups had arrived, with their deep competence.

America now feels more like people who took the Expedited Three Month Training Course and got the security badge and went to work and formed an affinity group to advocate for change. A people who love to talk, endlessly, about sensitivity, yet aren’t sensitive enough to save the children bleeding out on the other side of the door.

I fear that as a people we’re becoming not only increasingly unimpressive but increasingly unlovable.

My God, I’ve never seen a country so in need of a hero."

News flash Peggy, we had one and his name was Donald Trump. He was a competent CEO who demanded accountability from his people and the Govt. but people like you vowed to destroy him because he hurt peoples feelings and called out people like you.
Thanks, I've been wanting to read this article for a few days but paywall

The atmosphere must be a little tense right now between the townsfolk and the PD to put it mildly.

threating her with a probation violation from a decades old charge to coerce her into silence. There ya go, once again the pd doing a great job supporting the defund argument.

It would be one thing to let her spout off and have some office flak say; "No comment until our investigation is complete". But no, they have to take it to that next level which only incites further disrespect and contempt from the public.

I missed it.

As long as we have veered off I'll say this. Read the Harmony Montgomery case. This is the norm for social workers. 80 hrs per week my azz, countless times it has been documented that they fail to even show up the the clients houses, fail to even work a full week.

Certainly you must be well aware of the many documented cases of complete screw up in these social worker departments across the country. MA has has many of them.

The Social Services Dept is probably no different from any other dept in the hackarama. A few good, hardworking people and a collection of affirmative action flunkies.

By the way, are those state maskphags back to work yet or are they still milking the covid scam? It was Texas, so maybe they're actually going to the office.

threating her with a probation violation from a decades old charge to coerce her into silence. There ya go, once again the pd doing a great job supporting the defund argument.

It would be one thing to let her spout off and have some office flak say; "No comment until our investigation is complete". But no, they have to take it to that next level which only incites further disrespect and contempt from the public.
Uvalde PD has shown since the shooting began that they're the biggest bunch of bullies. America doesn't like a bully and Greg Abbott better get his shit together down there because after this shooting and the drag show with kids in Dallas this weekend and how the cops responded to the protestors who were against that, there's something rotten down in Texas. That state is turning into a cesspool under Abbott and he seems too distracted with greasing his wheels for 2024.

He can put the brakes on that, I don't want that assclown anywhere near the White House, not after the blackouts in 2021 when it got cold outside and not after how shit the cops are down there.

Last edited:
There is no law that says they have to run into a deadly situation to protect anyone, even if people are being murdered.

The days of 9/11 and the hero worship of first responders running into the towers is over. We say them sit on their hands during the 2020 riots and we've seen enough evidence that when there is an armed assault of another person, the police are going to wait for SWAT and tac teams.

I see a major loss in support and faith in police after this and even myself I see the patrol cars driving around and I just look at the pricks behind the wheel and wonder, "What good are they for other than writing tickets and and telling one side to leave for the night during a Domestic?"

They're just a drain on our resources.

But here's the thing. There are crimes being actively committed, they are law enforcement officers and the law is being broken right in front of their faces meanwhile they do nothing. I'm not saying protecting people it's the idea that the law can be broken right in front of the cops face and nothing happens up to and including murder. What point do police serve any longer? Doesn't seem to be much of a value add proposition for the tax dollars being spent. If all the police are going to do is stand around and wait for the body count to rise before going in with a pile of chalk to outline the bodies then we're overpaying for their services. I can find a 5th grader that can do that job.

But here's the thing. There are crimes being actively committed, they are law enforcement officers and the law is being broken right in front of their faces meanwhile they do nothing. I'm not saying protecting people it's the idea that the law can be broken right in front of the cops face and nothing happens up to and including murder. What point do police serve any longer? Doesn't seem to be much of a value add proposition for the tax dollars being spent. If all the police are going to do is stand around and wait for the body count to rise before going in with a pile of chalk to outline the bodies then we're overpaying for their services. I can find a 5th grader that can do that job.
Right. And here they were not just doing nothing - they were preventing others from responding to help. I am pretty sure that changes their situation from no duty to act, to assuming the duty to act since they prevent others from acting.

Right. And here they were not just doing nothing - they were preventing others from responding to help. I am pretty sure that changes their situation from no duty to act, to assuming the duty to act since they prevent others from acting.

Exactly. I don't see in any universe a situation where the cops on scene walk away cleanly. If the cops are going to do nothing then step aside, go back to your HQ, drink some coffee and donuts and let regular people do the jobs you get paid to do.

The crazy part is that pages and pages back in this post are pictures of the same cops doing active shooter training in a school. Yet when the time came what the hell happened?

I hate to keep bringing up the Floyd riots, but it was an eye opening sight because we saw police in riot gear out on the streets, yet nobody was stopping the looting and arson. It took me time to realize that the reason the cops were visible, but not doing anything wasn't to deter looting, arson, etc. but to keep the lawful business owners from pulling a rooftop Korean because had they all turned into Koreans the looting and arson would have been almost zero. So, the cops were out in gear ready to roll up on a business owner blasting away at rioters like he was Randy Weaver in a discount gunstore because once the citizenry realizes who the police really are and who they actually work for, that's when law and order break down across the country.

The reason why our side hasn't done any retaliation is solely because of the police. With Uvalde exposing the police and all that appears to be coming in the near future, I feel we're seeing the beginnings of the breakdown of law in the US and that's going to set the stage for civil war.

Is the mainstream media mentioning that the police have no duty to protect or is that only being discussed here. I noticed Peggy Noonan didn’t go anywhere near it in the WSJ article.

Honest question since I have no real access to the mainstream media.

All you're doing is pointing out that "social" services - shouldn't be run by the government - in ANY way , shape - or form. You say "mis-guided policy of keeping families together" yet there is copious evidence over many years that social workers will invade families and take away children on the slightest of pretexes. So maybe the system see-saws between one extreme to another - take-away or don't take-away, but that seems to me to be yet more evidence of a fundamentally flawed system.
While it may not be the official position of the social services, their actions show they take whichever action causes the most long term damage to the child's psychological well being.

Is the mainstream media mentioning that the police have no duty to protect or is that only being discussed here. I noticed Peggy Noonan didn’t go anywhere near it in the WSJ article.

Honest question since I have no real access to the mainstream media.
Isn’t the “no duty to protect” ruling vis-a-vis guarding against potential crime rather than responding to a crime in progress? I.e., the cops are not bodyguards.

Isn’t the “no duty to protect” ruling vis-a-vis guarding against potential crime rather than responding to a crime in progress? I.e., the cops are not bodyguards.

I have no idea on the specifics but here is the story where I first learned something about no duty to protect.

Lesson for us here:

“Briseno looked outside to see the gunman kneeling and reloading and then heading for the school. He phoned his wife: "Hey, bring me my gun," he says he told her.

Gunfire was erupting at the school, he said. He says he saw the man shoot into campus windows.

By the time his wife arrived, the first officers were arriving, too, Briseno said. He marched ahead, gun in hand, when he was stopped by police.

"I feel guilty man, 'cause I couldn’t stop (him)," Briseno said emotionally. "He was shooting at the windows, and I didn’t have my gun on me."
If true, the officers who stopped him should be tried for felony murder
If not true, he should get a similar sentence

Unpossible. I was told that this is “uniquely American” issue?

No news there - those were Nigerian Christians being purified by Islam.
All they had to do was convert to Islam to avoid it so 100% their own fault - :mad:

Back
Top Bottom