20m is open big time tonight

Just got Zl4IR on a solid copy at 14.267.50.

That is on an 80m OCF with a tuner!

Holy crap!!!!

[party]

It's amazing what can happen when the ionosphere gods are in a good mood. That's just 3,000 miles short of exactly half way around the world on a simple wire antenna.

http://www.dxwatch.com/#
the sunspot cycle is heading doooooown.
when at peak 10 is amazing on a little mobile ant
20m has been good every night for a while. those guy's in Europe stay up pretty late to talk to us.
20/40/80 has been filling my log book. 10 /12/15 rare lately. 17 sometimes....
6m was fun about a week ago into the south from here in MA.
on a different note. anybody got a hf rig they want to swap towards a ruger mark III hunter i have in classifieds ?

Last edited:
It's amazing what can happen when the ionosphere gods are in a good mood. That's just 3,000 miles short of exactly half way around the world on a simple wire antenna.

JA's on 15m in winter months, easy on my 3 ele yagi barefoot.
worked some serious DX from my Mom's driveway in FL using a ham stick and 100W hf rig plugged into her cigarette lighter on a cycle peak.
every yr i would mail a rig down there ahead of me to keep me busy on my visits

Last edited:
http://www.dxwatch.com/#
the sunspot cycle is heading doooooown.
Yeah, copy that[hmmm]. I got my license 6 years ago and got to enjoy some amazing propagation with my simple wire antenna. The best was Antarctica with 3W of CW. But I'm looking at the solar cycle thinking I need a QRP rig with 80M and I no longer covet one with 15M capability. I'm also not looking forward to when 40 and 80 are the go-to bands because of all noise that's not there on 15.

Yeah, copy that[hmmm]. I got my license 6 years ago and got to enjoy some amazing propagation with my simple wire antenna. The best was Antarctica with 3W of CW. But I'm looking at the solar cycle thinking I need a QRP rig with 80M and I no longer covet one with 15M capability. I'm also not looking forward to when 40 and 80 are the go-to bands because of all noise that's not there on 15.

talk about noise....try 160m
if you have the room and trees try wire vert.s on 40/80
i use the trees to pull them up vert and have my back yard covered in radials.
been a dx hound for 25yrs....

Yeah 75/40 last night sucked for me. My noise level was +10 to +20 over. Unless you have a big amp, I ain't hearing you.

20m was in the range of S3 to S6

10m open right now into the south
K2L 5-7 28.360 SC
KM4RAY 5-4 28.400 FL

Last edited:
Yeah 75/40 last night sucked for me. My noise level was +10 to +20 over. Unless you have a big amp, I ain't hearing you.

20m was in the range of S3 to S6

That's an enormous amount of background noise. What have you tried so far to reduce it? I may be able to help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20m open to New Zealand right nownow. ZL1BD
just after 3p.m at Al's qth NGARUAWAHIA winter 54* and raining
5-7 on 14.254.55
last time i worked him was on 6/15/04.....

Last edited:
That's an enormous amount of background noise. What have you tried so far to reduce it? I may be able to help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Only thing I've really tried was adding a choke, but that didn't do squat. I talked to an Elmer about a quarter mile from me and asked him to check the same freq I was on and he said that the noise was bad on his end too.

I could easily blame it on my neighbors. At least one has solar panels. The other guy may have a plasma TV, but not sure.

I've heard 75 and 40 when the noise was S5 or so...so I am just assuming it was really bad atmospherics.

Back
Top Bottom