• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2015 USPSA Area 7 Championship

After much effort from those involved, I'm please to announce a combined effort for the 2015 USPSA Area 7 Championship. The Maine Practical Shooters (NE22) and Hampden Rifle and Pistol Club (NE21) will team up to host the Area 7 match the weekend of July 11 & 12 at the Capital City Rifle & Pistol Club (MPS's home club) in Augusta, ME. This will be a combined match recognizing ALL pistol divisions.

Lee Cabana ([email protected]) and Dan Wiswell ([email protected]) will serve as Co-Match Directors of this 9 stage match which will be shot in a single day format.

On-Line registration will open for Area 7 residents on March 30th. General registration for everyone will open a week later on April 6th. Other details such as match fee, match hotel and discount rate will be shared in the near future on the Maine Practical Shooter's website at: http://mainepracticalshooters.com/area7match.

If you are interested in volunteering to be part of the staff for this match, please email Lee at [email protected].

My thanks to all the clubs and volunteers in the area that make our great sport of USPSA shooting possible. And special thanks to the teams from the Maine Practical Shooters and the Hampden Rifle and Pistol Club, and the club leadership at Capital City Rifle and Pistol Club for making this year's match happen.

Thank you,
David Bold
Director Area 7, USPSA

Thanks to Dave and the Maine crew for keeping this one alive! now I just have to figure out how to reconcile this match with the family vacation in lower maine which starts the same weekend....

Thanks to Dave and the Maine crew for keeping this one alive! now I just have to figure out how to reconcile this match with the family vacation in lower maine which starts the same weekend....

That's easy.

Go on vacation as usual.

On Sunday morning tell them you have to go out to get some milk.

Bummer. Got to miss it. Weekend after the 4th is always Sailfest down in New London and between that and my regular job there is no time off. Was hoping for a fall match but you guys have fun. Will hopefully see you next year.

On-Line registration will open for Area 7 residents on March 30th.
Could you please tell us what time on March 30th?

The MA Classic sold out in one hour, and I don't want to miss this one.

Hi All,
As most already know: registration for the 2015 Area 7 championship will be opening on Monday, March 30th at 2:00PM EST.
For the first week, only residents of Area 7 will be approved. All entries that are received from non-residents will be discarded.
Non residents may begin to register on April 6th at 2:00 PM EST.

The registration form can be found here:
https://clubs.practiscore.com/area7-2015/register

After registering, your entry will be reviewed by match staff. Upon approval, you will receive an email with a link to pay online by credit card. After submitting your payment, you will be able to select a squad.
We will not be accepting mailed-in payments this year, sorry.

Thanks

Not to sound like a dick or ungrateful for for a club to step up
And put on an area match but $165 is steep. I assume this is a plaque match
But are there any other things to consider IE: lunch, shirts, prizes.
Again, sorry for sounding like an ass, just want to know what we're getting
For match fee. I know I will probably regret posting this.

And put on an area match but $165 is steep.
It is steep, but the reality of Area 7 is that it can be VERY hard to find a club to host the match. When I was Area 7 director, finding a club willing to host the A7 was the most stressful part of the job. It is no coincidence that Area 7 was the last Area Championship to announce a venue and date. Our old friends supply and demand come into play, and even at $165, this match is priced below the revenue maximizing price.

Of bigger concern would be the fact that hotels in this area are price - figure about $140 typically, with many already sold out. Even so, I expect people will gladly pay the hotel fees and gripe about a $40isn higher match fee.

Add to that the fact that the host club has never put on an Area Championship, and will probably need to buy more steel/props/etc. - and the club may have made a strategic decision it needs to break even on this match, not hope to have the staff to run in in future years to recoup the cost. Plus, they are in the far reaches of the area, and they may be bringing in some staff from out of town and putting them up in hotels.

As final consolation, remember, the profits from the match go to support a gun club.

Last edited:

Singlestack and revolver nationals are $200, Production nationals are $250, Open/Limited/L10 nationals are $270. Area matches this year run between $125 and $180, most of those are at $150. State and sectional matches vary widely, as low as $50 and as high as $175, and it looks like $100 is the most common.

What is included in that match entry fee also varies greatly with each match. You may or may not get lunch, a t-shirt, a prize/gift table, or plaques.

Singlestack and revolver nationals are $200, Production nationals are $250, Open/Limited/L10 nationals are $270. Area matches this year run between $125 and $180, most of those are at $150. State and sectional matches vary widely, as low as $50 and as high as $175, and it looks like $100 is the most common.

What is included in that match entry fee also varies greatly with each match. You may or may not get lunch, a t-shirt, a prize/gift table, or plaques.

The Production and Open/Limited nationals are a completely different beast, as the cost includes renting a hotel function room; flying HQ staff in to the match; paying for many dozens of hotel rooms for the match staff; paying a modest stipend to the match staff; and feeding the staff. Also, of all the listed matches the Nationals are the only ones that (a) run at a loss, and (b) have the bills backed by an org that can cover any shortfall.

Also, remember that the best way for practical shooting to stay welcome at a club is for it to turn a respectable profit. If every shooting activity assumes that the other activities will cover the "overhead" or maintaining the club, there might not be a gun club in a few years.

Before this gets out of hand, as Rob knows and so many out there,
I have been shooting this game for a very long time and well aware of
What things cost. I was just inquiring why this years A7 was much higher
Than past years. There is no mention of what might be IE: shirts,food ect
Like past years.

"Not to sound like a dick", but if you don't like the match fee of $165, don't sign up, or shoot it for free by volunteering to work as staff.

We in Area 7 are extremely lucky that there will even be a match this year. It never ceases to amaze me the stuff that people complain about. First everyone is complaining "where is the info for Area 7? Are we going to have a match?" and now "its too expensive..."

My guess is that there may have to be considerable help from other A7 crews that are not local to way up there in Maine, so hotel costs, etc.

Honest question stated respectfully deserves an honest answer not Internet BS. There are no updates on the match website as of today.

I knew you would regret asking here though HDGUN [sad2]

Thanks Gary, I know the guys that know me
Knew where I was coming from. I don't need some internet *******
Twisting a just question into something it's not.
Just read the question I asked, it was not a complaint but a question.

Just a quick update:

Sorry i forgot to list prizes/trophies/etc on the registration page:

Lunch will be provided to competitors. Details haven't been nailed down yet, but I expect it to be similar to last year in new bedford.
This is a trophy match.
All prizes will be by random draw, distributed at check in.

When registration opens, you won't be allowed to pay until I approve your entry. This is so I can filter out non A-7 residents for the 1st week.
I should be able to approve folks within 4-5 minutes of submission. If you don't see an approval email within 20-30 minutes, please shoot me an email or PM here.

Thanks all,

Steve

Rob summed it up nicely. And yes, finding a venue IS the most stressful part of this job, especially in the Northeast!

A larger number of staff will be travelling as compared to last year (ie, quite a few more hotel rooms). Food service is more expensive than last year. Host club needs to build/purchase more materials (New Bedford last year was well stocked in comparison). Several factors go into the pricing of the event. Running an Area match has lots of expenses that need to be projected for and then paid for, and will vary from venue to venue based on a number of factors (hotels, food, local club supplies, even port-a-jons and dumpsters).

Last edited:
Just a quick update:

Sorry i forgot to list prizes/trophies/etc on the registration page:

Lunch will be provided to competitors. Details haven't been nailed down yet, but I expect it to be similar to last year in new bedford.
This is a trophy match.
All prizes will be by random draw, distributed at check in.

When registration opens, you won't be allowed to pay until I approve your entry. This is so I can filter out non A-7 residents for the 1st week.
I should be able to approve folks within 4-5 minutes of submission. If you don't see an approval email within 20-30 minutes, please shoot me an email or PM here.

Thanks all,

Steve

Steve, I plan on registering at 2 but I will be jumping out of a meeting to do. Is the registration not actually held until payment is received?

Dan,
Registration is held when the form is submitted. However you aren't allowed to squad until paid, so that is the carrot that is dangled there with payment.
Last year I had many people who submitted registraion, then waited days or weeks to pay online.
I am not going to let that slide this year: If I don't see payment within 24 hours of approval, I will email once to give 24 hours notice.
If still not paid then, I will withdraw the shooters registration and move to anyone on the wait list.

Thanks,
Steve

Back
Top Bottom