2013 S&W Indoor IDPA Indoor Nationals - thoughts from a USPSA shooter

PMD

Please do not turn this post into a USPSA vs IDPA debate...

I was lucky enough to get a slot for this match.
Thanks to Schuemann Barrels Schuemann Barrels > Home

I normally don't shoot iron sighted pistols or IDPA - this was my third IDPA match.

I went into this match with mixed feelings having heard some negative comments over the years about IDPA.

I must say I really enjoyed this match.
The guys on Squad 33 were great and Debbie our Squad mom was awesome.

S&W, Tom Yost, Lou Denys, Mike Critser and the ROs ... I mean SOs all did a great job.
I felt for a Major match it ran smoothly.
For an indoor match the stages were both fun and challenging.
There were a lot of props and everything worked - we had no reshoots.

From a guy not too familiar with the rules I made a ton of mistakes.
I reloaded on the move, I did not slice the pie and those damn Non-Threats - they are the same color as the Threat Targets why aren't they white. I think I shot 4 dead center.

The No light stage was a challenge for me - shooting head shots and black targets in the dark with a flashlight is different and a first for me.

After shooting this match I have more respect for the IDPA game.
There were a lot of really talented shooters at this match.
IDPA is not for everyone - making the transition from USPSA to IDPA is not easy.
IDPA does have it's rules and when shooting a course of fire there are not too many options.

For those who don't like how the rules are in IDPA .. stay away from the game and stick with what you like.

For me.. I am not a fan of many of the rules but I chose to play the game, at times I was very frustrated but kept reminding myself this was IDPA and if I wanted to shoot I had to keep an open mind and play by the rules.

This was a well done Event.

For now I am looking forward to shooting my Open gun again...

I recently shot my first two IDPA matches ever and had never done any type of action pistol shooting, so I found the matches fun. I know you don't want this to be a one vs the other debate, so if you'd like to send your answer to me as a PM, that's fine, but not having been exposed to USPSA or IPSC, can you tell me, in your opinion, what makes them different from IDPA? For me, I don't want a huge outlay of cash for equipment, so I will probably always shoot stock pistols. Is there a way in the other two sports to be successful doing this? Not trying to stir the pot, just some honest questions from someone who's relatively new to shooting.

I recently shot my first two IDPA matches ever and had never done any type of action pistol shooting, so I found the matches fun. I know you don't want this to be a one vs the other debate, so if you'd like to send your answer to me as a PM, that's fine, but not having been exposed to USPSA or IPSC, can you tell me, in your opinion, what makes them different from IDPA? For me, I don't want a huge outlay of cash for equipment, so I will probably always shoot stock pistols. Is there a way in the other two sports to be successful doing this? Not trying to stir the pot, just some honest questions from someone who's relatively new to shooting.

You can shoot production division in USPSA with your IDPA SSP gear -- you'll just new a few more magazines and mag holders. Production division is basically a production, iron-sighted gun (like a Glock 34).

USPSA doesn't require use of cover or cover garment. There are typically more targets, longer courses, and more options as to how you can shoot it. Typically fewer props and moving targets as well. USPSA is typically more run-and-gun than IDPA.

I enjoy both. They're just different.

Paul- funny- there is a Podcast out there with interviews with Gerry Michulek, Bob Vogel and others. They said when they go into an IDPA match they needed to clear their mind and look at every stage differently- and carefully listen to the COF before thinking about what they are going to do. It's good advice.

I must say though- when you told me you had engaged the non threats because they were the same color I had to laugh. That was funny and I hadn't thought too much about that before. It was fun and we had a good squad.

Yeah- the staff worked their asses off. I was sore after one day of shooting... they were there all week. Thanks again to the great staff!

Interesting thoughts Paul.
I brought my son to try his first IDPA match at New Bedford last summer and he liked it better than USPSA. He liked all the extra rules and restrictions cuz it made him think more. I guess that means he and I will be shooting more IDPA this season. Gotta get up to play with the Metrowest boys...

-Cuz

Joe,
Not done with IDPA - I'll definitely shoot more matches in the future.
I like the G34 - it's a keeper.

have to shoot more IDPA matches, need to dollar cost average that fancy fishing vest right?

thanks for the write-up Paul, I'll have to give the other game a tray someday but as I can't remember what I planned to do on a USPSA stage for more than 2mins I'm not sure I'll do well remembering what someone else told me I have to do

Back
Top Bottom