2012 Reading "Marksman to Expert" Clinic

jasons

NES Life Member
NES Member
Many NESers and I attended the 2012 Reading "Highpower Marksman to Expert" clinic on Saturday. Speaking for myself have to say it was the single best rifle clinic I've attended in my shooting career so far. I highly recommend this clinic to any high-power shooter looking to make it to master or higher.

Pros: All instructors were highly experienced NRA Master or High Master classification and / or Distinguished or Presidents 100. A few were all of the above and MA state champions to boot (state champion is a hard one to win - we have some amazing shooters here in MA and there's only one a year who earns that title.) Most (if not all) were NRA certified coaches as well, so not only have they proven that they can shoot they have also proven that they can teach other people how to shoot. All in all this was the epitome of high quality, top notch instruction and at an insanely low price that you won't get at any price at any of the commercial training facilities. (I've been to training that was 10X the price and not even half as good.)

Cons: If I had to stretch to find something to complain about I guess my only suggestion would be to make it a two day clinic with a day of position work / snapping in on the first day (sort of an abbreviated USMC "grass week.") I didn't feel like I had quite enough time to really dial in a couple positions (sitting specifically) before the live fire strings. (I realize that not many people would be interested in "grass day.")

Highlights: One-on-one time with the instructors. I picked up a good hints and tips for every position, especially some great advice for sitting which is my weakest position right now. I have a lot of homework, but I WILL shoot a clean sitting this season.

Overall thoughts: I don't know what else to say besides "Take this clinic, it's the real deal." If you (like me) have been struggling to get past expert level scores this is the clinic for you. Even if you're an experienced shooter who has been out of the game for a while it would be good. I can't really recommend it enough.

Thanks to all of the coaches and instructors who gave up a Saturday to help guys like me become better shooters. Thank you.

100_0606.JPG

One of the Reading 2012 Clinic Instructors demonstrates tactical levitation while the assistant to the head instructor judges his form. Note delicious snacks in the background.

Last edited:
Looks like he just shot a clean 10x too. That dude demonstrating is hard as nails. [grin] Great bunch of guys at Reading I am not surprised to see you enjoyed yourself.

For what it's worth I implemented some of the position tweaks and other tips that I picked up at this clinic and subsequently made master over the last three matches that I shot, finishing off with a 765-16x (a personal best by far.) The proof is in the pudding.

Back
Top Bottom