2011 IDPA Match Schedule for Pioneer Sportsmen Club in Dunbarton, NH

The next exciting IDPA season is drawing near and Pioneer Sportsmen Club (PSC) of Dunbarton, NH is please to announce their 2011 IDPA Match Schedule. PSC continues to experience growing interest in this sport and we look forward to even more participation and creative scenarios, so mark the following dates on your calendar:

[STRIKE]Sat, 15 OCT 2011[/STRIKE] - MATCH CANCELLED
[STRIKE]Sat, 21 MAY 2011[/STRIKE]
[STRIKE]Sat, 18 JUN 2011 - CLASSIFIER MATCH[/STRIKE]
[STRIKE]Sat, 16 JUL 2011[/STRIKE]
[STRIKE]Sat, 20 AUG 2011[/STRIKE]
[STRIKE]Sat, 17 SEP 2011[/STRIKE]

• Registration starts at 8:30 AM TO 9:15 AM
• Safety Brief 9:15 AM
• Matches will begin at 9:30 AM
• Shooters will be assigned to Squads imbedded with Safety Officers (SO) and shoot each Stage as a squad.

What you will need to participate in IDPA matches:
• A "Safety First" Attitude; willingness to learn; and respect for the SO's donating their time.
• A reliable service-type pistol or revolver
• A concealable belt holster that allows ease in drawing and reholstering
• At least three loading devices, six is better
• A pouch for your spare magazines or speed loaders
• 150 rounds of ammo
• EYE AND EAR PROTECTION (Mandatory)
• Cover garment. (Vest, Jacket, etc.)
• $10.00 Club Members / $20.00 Non-members

We are located just West of Concord, NH (Exit 2 off I-89). Google Maps calls it "The corner of Clinton St/NH-13 and Farrington Corner Rd". The GPS Coordinates are: N 43 09' 16.5" W 071 37' 18.9" OR go to our "Directions & Map" page of our website OR use the following Driving Directions:

• Get off of Interstate 89 at Exit 2, Clinton Street/State Highway 13.
• Make a left turn at the end of the exit ramp to proceed west on Clinton Street/State Highway 13.
• Travel west for 3 1/2 miles until you see our large white sign with black lettering on the right.
• Turn right at the sign and you will see our facilities

Please check for the most up to date information at the Pioneer Sportsman Club website calendar

PSC welcomes new comers interested in IDPA. If your curiosity has piqued and you are ready to find out more about this exciting sport, come to one of our matches, identify yourself as being new to IDPA, and our friendly Safety Officers will help guide you. These may be called "Matches" but don't be intimidated because of the word "Match". In reality the atmosphere is more like, "Hey, we set up a few shooting scenarios, come on over and try them out with us." Some participants compete, some show up to just work on their gun handling skills, but all are welcome.

If you have any questions please feel free to contact:
Chris Currier - [email protected]

We hope to see you there!! [smile]

Last edited:
strongbow67,

As I recall, last year registration was done through http://www.matchreg.com. As we get closer, to NH State Championships, we will be posting more information. 2010 States was a great match so you won't want to miss this year.

It is with regret to announce the State match originally scheduled for Sun. July 17th has been canceled this year. In it's place, P.S.C. will plan to run a regular monthly match on Sat. July 16th, hopefully with some additional stages which may include an indoor stage.

Just got the word from the Match Director. The Sat. June 18th match will be a Classifier Match! Get the word out to your friends and new shooters! This is the match that will help you find out where you stand with your buddies. [wink] This will also be a good time to classify up or classify in another division. So dust off those wheel guns, Enhanced Stock Pistols and 1911's. In the last Match approx 2/3 of the shooters were Stock Service Pistols. It would be nice to see a little more diversity on the roster next time.

I know some of you seasoned shooters may cringe at the thought of attending a classifier, but the MD has assured us the match will be arranged to expedite movement through the stages. There will be 2 duplicate stages set up for Stage 1 COF and he is looking for shooters to adhere to the following best practices:

* Shooters will load their magazines to FULL capacity - 3-4 full mags are recommended ensuring each shooter arrives on the line with 30 rounds ready to complete the stage (With the exception of the scenario stage which is limited to division capacity).

* No walk through's on the Stage 1, 2, and 3 Classifier COF's. These COF's are well known and available for review online, so the instructions will be read for the specific string the shooter on the line will be shooting next.

* For Classifier Stage 1 misses on the target heads that go into the body are tapped immediately following String 4. This simplifies properly scoring the target at the end of the Stage.

* Stages 1 and 2 each have one string requiring a downloaded mag. Shooters will be instructed when they load up prior to starting the stage to have one additional mag downloaded to the required number of rounds ready-to-go in another pocket when called upon by the SO to shoot that string.

* We will be using a scoresheet purposely designed for the Classifier. This simplifies target scoring. Unfortunately, these scoresheets do not have carbon copies. If shooters would like a copy they will have to take a cell phone pic of the scoresheet at the end of the match. The only exception is the House scenario stage where we use the standard score sheet.

* Every competitor will be expected to participate in taping targets or picking up brass after the SO's have scored the target, except the on-deck shooter who should be waiting on the line with the 3rd SO (who's watching everyone else's back). We remind all competitors; not taping may qualify them for an FTDR.

* Shooters should review the IDPA Rule book or go here so they are familiar with the Strings of fire for each stage. If you don't like to read, you can search YouTube for "IDPA Classifier" and familiarize yourself with the COF.

We hope to have another strong turnout for our 2nd Match of the season and there will also be a scenario set up un the shoot house, so it won't all be academics. Go to our new website for more information and directions and new shooters should view the video, "Beginner's Guide to Shooting Competition-IDPA"

Some may think the Classifiers are mundane, but seriously, anytime we get to shoot with the nicest people in our society, isn't it still a great time!!! Hope to see you all there!!! [smile]

Have the July 16 match results been posted yet?

I still haven't seen anything in email or on the web site yet. I know it's got to be a huge pain to compile the results but 2 weeks seems a bit long to wait.

While I can't speak to the scores of the match 2 weeks ago, I can say future matches will have the scores out before the following Wednesday. We are moving to the Official IDPA scoring software which will streamline the process and get the scores out in a timely manner.

derfzilla, I wish to publicly apologize, but these score will not be going out. This in ENTIRELY my fault.

Starting the day of the match, and in the two weeks after the match, my Wife and I of 10 years split up. I had to move out of the house. I lost my job. I had to move a second time and the first place was not working out, and my laptop died, so I lost everyone's emails address that I had on file..

Somewhere in the moving, the score sheets were misplaced.

This is totally my fault. I have not taken on any more scoring at this time, due to the tremendous embarrassment at loosing an entire set of score sheets. I currently have stuff in two different states and in five different locations. I'm still out of work, still separated, and am just working on surviving at this point.

Please let me know what the match fee was, as well as your address and I will personally mail you a check to cover your match fees to make my for my mistake.

I am truly both sorry and embarrassed by this inexcusable **** up.

Best Regards,
Mark Goldblatt
BUG Match Director.

Last edited:
Fyi - please be advised there is no August IDPA match at Pioneer. The match has been cancelled. We'll look forward to the next Pioneer match hopefully in September.
-Kevin W.

The Sept 17th match is a GO for this month! This should prove to be a great time and the temps should be perfect for shooting! Spread the word!! Pioneer Sportsmen Club welcomes all!

The Sept 17th match is a GO for this month! This should prove to be a great time and the temps should be perfect for shooting! Spread the word!! Pioneer Sportsmen Club welcomes all!

Aside from what's detailed in the first post, how does a new guy get involved in something like this? Tips?

Thanks,
Fitz

Aside from what's detailed in the first post, how does a new guy get involved in something like this? Tips?

Thanks,
Fitz

GOAL and a number of clubs teach intro to IDPA classes. Harvard Sportsmen's and Worcester clubs have monthly IDPA practices which are open to the public. Or you can just show up at a match with a good attitude. Check out my thread titled your first idpa match in the pistol competition forum for more tips.

Contact Mike Briggs at Pioneer. I am sure he can give you an idea what you need. I assisted him with a class at the Sig Academy a few years ago so I know he has good info. This is his Web Site

+1 to New England Tactical. I won some stuff from them at last year's NH IDPA State and they were a generous sponsor for us an this year's New England Regional. I don't know Mike personally- but I recall he was a great guy and very helpful. They carry Comp-Tac holsters and pouches and I use them almost exclusively...

Thanks for the info. I'll definitely check out Mike's site as well as your initial posts. I don't make it to MA too often but will probably make an appearance at Pioneer for the next event.

Thanks again,
Fitz

Thanks,
Fitz

Fitz,

All of the above posts are excellent advice from experienced shooters. I'm assuming you must have some experience shooting a pistol, but probably not shooting in a match. We all were once in your position. Obviously, you will need to be familiar with your firearm, and demonstrate safe handling skills and muzzle control.

We all have egos to some extent, but don't be embarassed when you identify yourself to the Safety Officer as a NEW match shooter. He/she will respect you for your honesty and will allow him/her to be more alert to your inexperience and help guide you.

Approach the match with the mindset that this is an opportunity for you to learn and DON'T RUSH! If this is your first match, trust me, you are not going win. No one is going to remember next week or next month how well you shot, but I GUARANTEE they WILL remember you if you "muzzle" them, forget to keep your finger out of the trigger guard, forget to place the safety on, or you have a negligent discharge.

Spending some time with an instructor is the best advice, but you can also take some time in the next couple of weeks to do some dry practice. That is, with the gun and mags absolutely empty and no ammo in the same room, practice drawing, presenting and reholstering the gun. Do this in front of a mirror, and start out in slow motion, making sure you do not "muzzle" any part of your body. When reholstering, TAKE YOUR TIME. There is never any rush to reholster at a match. As you become more comfortable drawing & reholstering, start working in your cover garment. You'll be surprised how the cover garment can get in the way and affect your reholstering. Work the gun doing mag changes, clearing jams, proper loading and unloading, and remember, pointing your muzzle towards the sky during reloads is not a safe direction. Keep it pointed downrange at the berm. If your handgun has a safety, make sure you are in the habit of verifying the position of the safety when you're done shooting and before you holster. While performing these drills ALWAYS be aware of the muzzle.

After you've practice these drills WITHOUT LIVE AMMO, till it feels almost second nature, if you have access to a range, by all means, get out and shoot. Having manipulated the firearm empty will make you feel more comfortable but don't become complacent. Start out slow and diliberate. Try loading the mags with only 1-3 rds, shoot to slide lock, do a mag change, and repeat. Always, always, always keep your finger out of the trigger till you're on target and always be aware of the direction of your muzzle. This is all very general practice advice and cannot replace real training with a properly qualified individual.

Finally, the word, "Match" seems to automatically elevate our blood pressure and intimidate those who have never shot a match, but in actuallity these local matches are more like, "Hey, we're setting up some scenarios to practice with, why don't you come on over and shoot with us?" You will not meet a nicer, more helpful, more friendly group of people than you will at a shooting match. We welcome all who want to shoot safely!

Great advice there as well. I do have some experience shooting and look forward to learning more. I don't anticipate shooting at the pioneer event as frankly, I tend to research the hell out of anything before I try it; almost to a fault sometimes. Having not been raised around firearms, I find myself treading very lightly in this arena, trolling for information without posting a lot, and asking a lot of questions whenever possible. Thank you for the practice tips.

Fitz

Stage 3 killed my score for the day. I almost afraid to find out. [wink]

Soooo your score was so big you broke the calculator [smile]

Was this your issue on stage 3 :)

steelNT.jpg

Back
Top Bottom