2006 IDPA MA State Championship - June 24 & 25, 2006

This will be the 10th year that the Rod & Gun club of New Bedford will host the IDPA Massachusetts State Championship. Plans are for an 8 to 10 stage match, 2 of which will be the low-light/no-light variety on the indoor range. Match is shot in one day (either Saturday or Sunday). Fee includes shirt, lunch, door prizes, etc. Additional info can be found at http://www.rodgun-nb.org/ap/schedules/IDPAMA2006.htm

You'll find most action-pistol style matches are beginner-friendly as the folks running them are usually great folks. IDPA in particular is very beginner-friendly, especially since you don't need special or fancy equipment. I would suggest before you go to a big match (state, regional, etc) that you shoot a couple of regular monthly matches so you can learn the safety rules, procedures, etiquette, etc. That will give you some time to get comfortable for the bigger matches.

Big Daddy 45acp said:
Can you shoot this match if you are not classified?
Thanks!
I don't know that answer, but they are running a classifier at that club this coming Sunday. Good chance to see the club and to get classified.

These folks are a class act and will help you out any way they can,

I had to make the decision not to shoot this year and will miss the match.

regards,

A sanctioned IDPA match is required to only allow shooters to participate in a single division and they must be classified for that division. IDPA is being more stringent these days with regards to sanctioning matches.

As RGS mentions, we're having a classifier match this Sunday. Come down and join us.

We'll miss you RGS. If cookies work as a bribe to get you down here again, I might even make them myself!

6/24 @ 5:30am Weather Update
Match is currently still on. There is currently a cell passing so looks like the match will start with rain (possibly heavy) then we might catch a break in the weather. The club's website has a posting to check. Next weather update on the club's site by 6:30am.

www.rodgun-nb.org

MAShooter said:
6/24 @ 5:30am Weather Update
Match is currently still on. There is currently a cell passing so looks like the match will start with rain (possibly heavy) then we might catch a break in the weather. The club's website has a posting to check. Next weather update on the club's site by 6:30am.

www.rodgun-nb.org

Good luck Dave. My thoughts are with you.

Rain didn't bother me!

RGS,
I worked the whole match and the rain didn't bother me one bit. Of course I was working the same stage we worked together last year. :)

Respectfully,

jkelly

Dave,

Please extend my appreciation to your SO team for a fantastic match. Jon Green and I got a kick out of your challenging stages, even the ones we may not have done so well on. I can't wait until next year!

I don't know how you did it, but you managed to keep the rain down to manageable levels.

Super job all around!

Darius

I had a great time. I was squadded with Darius and Jon and our whole squad was great. They were all good shooters.

The stages were really good and went from fast and up close, to long distance and precise, to what happened to the lights. It was really challenging and I have a whole list of things to work on for next year. I have to read the rule book a few times too.

Big thanks to Dave and everybody at New Bedford, even you Mr. Kelly (thanks for the flashlight).

I guess I'm more tired than I realized. Steve (GTOShootr) was indeed squadded with us. He showed us some moves from IPSC that I'd never seen, and added a light touch to a rainy day.

I'll be keeping an eye on him -- he's a rising star in IDPA.

Darius

Cross-X said:
I guess I'm more tired than I realized. Steve (GTOShootr) was indeed squadded with us. He showed us some moves from IPSC that I'd never seen, and added a light touch to a rainy day.

I'll be keeping an eye on him -- he's a rising star in IDPA.

Darius

How about a stage by stage?? Just for us shut ins [smile]

RGS, since you are such a great guy, and an absolutely amazing pistolsmith, here is a rundown of the eight stages of the 2006 10th Annual IDPA Massachusetts State Championship:

Night Stages:

No-Light Drills -- This stage was shot in two strings. The shooter is facing two IDPA targets, set one over top of the other, about seven yards from the shooter. String one requires the competitor to fire six shots at the first target, one-handed, with his flashlight held in the weak hand. String two is the same, but the shooter engages the second target with six shots freestyle. Both strings are scored Limited Vickers.

St. Patty's Dance Party -- You push your way thru the swinging doors to confront five bad guys, two hostages, and a swinger as you fight your way to the exit. All shots fired either on the move or from behind cover. Stage made much more difficult by the dozens of green streamers hanging from the ceiling. Made it tough to distinguish good guys from bad. Some targets were ten to fifteen yards away.

Outdoor Stages

Valentine's Day Dinner -- String one begins with you seated in a booth in a diner. You have a menu in your hand, and seet four bad guys flanked by a hostage on either side of them. The hostages are wearing body armor which resembles a deep v-neck, revealing only the down zero body shot and all that lies above. You must hit each target with two shots each, Vickers count.

String two commences once you have shown the SO that your handgun is empty and cleared. When you put your elbows and hands on the table, the string begins. You dash ten yards to a cruiser-ready shotgun leaning against a wall, take cover, and drop five steel targets in tactical sequence, slicing the pie. There is one extra shell in case you miss a target.

Distance Skills -- Limited Vickers, engaging, in three successive strings, targets set at 15, 25 and 35 yards, with six shots each. 25 and 35 yard stages are shot free style, standing or kneeling, or, prone, if you'd like.

Cover Skills -- Three targets, two partially concealed with diagonal hard cover, set 8 yards away from a barrel. First string, step up to the barrel, fire two on each target, free style. Second string, shoot from one side of the barrel. Third string, shoot from the other side of the barrel. Limited Vickers.

Happy Halloween -- Open a door, slicing the pie engage three targets set at 8 to 12 yards, with three shots each, avoiding the hostage, then step quickly to the next window, engaging three pitbulls, also with three shots each, while keeping the hostage safe.

July 4th at the Beach -- Lots of action with this one. You start with your unloaded gun and ammo in a cooler. At the buzzer you grab your gun and ammo, confront a bizarre array of bad guys, a hostage or two, a steel plate, and a popper that actuates a drop target and a swinger. Two shots each, Vickers. Lots of fast shooting!

Christmas Tree Shopping -- At the buzzer, you confront a total of eight bad guys and a steel popper actuating a drop target, tagging each bad guy with two shots each, reloading as you go. All targets hidden in the pine trees. Close, fast shooting. Vickers count.

All in all, a helluva match!

Sorry I missed you this year. I had to beg off.---RGS
Missed working with you as well, I hope everything is okay! "Bones" asked for you several times (as did several others). People seem to like you for some reason! :)

Big thanks to Dave and everybody at New Bedford, even you Mr. Kelly (thanks for the flashlight).---GTOShooter
It was my pleasure and it was nice to see you again.

Cross-X, nice description of the match! As always it was good to see you and Jon at the match.

Respectfully,

jkelly

Back
Top Bottom