200 yd off hand / ammo

Is there any advantage of using a 69 , or 75 gr. for slow fire at 200 yds?
I reload my slow fire to the greatest oal my chamber will allow.
I have been using 69 gr sierra. I have some 75g Hornadyd for 600. I was wondering if the 75's would be good at 200?
Mike

200 is so close and the target is so large, I don't think any bullet has an advantage. Basically anything out of the barrel can clean the target.
I think most shooters, for simplicity reasons, just run two loads accross the course; mag-length round for 200 and 300 (usually a Sierra 77), and a 80gr load for 600. Some just use the mag-length 77 all the way back, and they shoot great scores with it.
This year, I'm using Sierra 69's at 200 because I got a deal on 1000 of them. Last year I used Privi Partisan 75's (also because they were cheap). Both will clean the rapids.

I'd load anything you use at 200 slow-fire to mag length. The extra potential 1/16 MOA accuracy improvement in seating them out is not worth the hassle. My hold isn't good enough to notice.
The Hornady bullets will work fine.

I agree with everything PatMcD said. I've always just used the same loads for 200 and 300 slow and rapids - Sierra 69's - and never thought I was handicapping myself in any way.

My dad usually used a 55 or 53gr for the offhand stage, just because they were a little cheaper but still were plenty accurate, but I'm lazy and don't like to mess around too much with loads, so I just stick to the 69's throughout.

Jeff mentioned Nosler bullets today as being great to shoot.
I was looking at prices for the 69gr and the 80 gr. The savings are good .
What do you think of these? I have to place an order in a month or so. I was just wondering if I should try these and save some money , as opposed to the Sierra's ?
Thanks, Mike

P.S. Great shooting today.

Noslers are just as good - some say better - than Sierra, and cost a bit less, too. Haven't tried them myself in the .223, but I've got 1000 waiting to be loaded.

Mike,

A shooter from Conn is looking to put together a club buy on Noslers.
He called me while I was down in NC for the Creedmoor Cup and I had him send me the info.

I'll dig it up tomorrow after work and send it to all those that were asking about it at the match today.

shot some SUPER tight knots @ 200 today with Noslers. 300yd groups weren't quite there (still had some shots off-call). I have 35 or so left (loaded)....might shoot a few strings with the noslers, and shoot an equal number of shots with the sierras (see which group better). I have a feeling they'll be the same, but I'm gonna test em nonetheless.

shot some SUPER tight knots @ 200 today with Noslers. 300yd groups weren't quite there (still had some shots off-call). I have 35 or so left (loaded)....might shoot a few strings with the noslers, and shoot an equal number of shots with the sierras (see which group better). I have a feeling they'll be the same, but I'm gonna test em nonetheless.

Plese post results.
Thanks, Mike

Back
Top Bottom