• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2 officers shot, one killed by friendly fire in NY

“It’s a very difficult and painful night for our city,” Mayor Bill de Blasio said at Jamaica Hospital Medical Center, after visiting the family of the slain detective. “We lost a very good man.”

So Bill will you be heading off to Germany to join in Anarchist protests during this mourning period also?

That dude is so creepy.

:emoji_tiger:

And now we're going to see a call for the banning of replica guns.

Instead of a call for heightened training.
Which could have possibly prevented this bad shoot.

It appears that this was a "contagious shooting" similar to when Amadou Diallo who was unarmed and shot/killed by 4 NYC cops in 1999. They fired 41 shots hitting him 19 times. Cops were charged with second-degree murder but were later acquitted when tried.

The shooting of Amadou Diallo occurred on February 4, 1999, when Amadou Diallo, a 23-year-old immigrant from Guinea, was shot and killed by four New York City Police Department plain-clothed officers—Sean Carroll, Richard Murphy, Edward McMellon and Kenneth Boss—after they mistook him for a rape suspect from one year earlier. The officers fired a combined total of 41 shots, 19 of which struck Diallo, outside his apartment at 1157 Wheeler Avenue in the Soundview section of The Bronx. The four were part of the now-defunct Street Crimes Unit. All four officers were charged with second-degree murder and acquitted at trial in Albany, New York.[1]

Diallo was unarmed, and a firestorm of controversy erupted subsequent to the event as the circumstances of the shooting prompted outrage both within and outside New York City. Issues such as police brutality, racial profiling, and contagious shooting were central to the ensuing controversy.

Shooting of Amadou Diallo - Wikipedia

well, since cops were shot my guess is that they will be calling for more gun control. it won't matter that cops shot cops. They will spin it and oppress the citizens even more...

If we’re thinking of the same incident, the cops shot and killed more people than the guy they were chasing, IIRC.

IIRC, the guy they were after didn't even kill anyone. He had a knife (or something they thought was a knife) in his hand and was walking away from them.

IIRC, the guy they were after didn't even kill anyone. He had a knife (or something they thought was a knife) in his hand and was walking away from them.

The one I’m thinking of was a guy that had just executed a very specific individual in broad daylight, and was fleeing on foot.

These incidents will continue to happen unless or until they stop promoting test takers and those riding the diversity wagon and start promoting actual leaders instead.

The “test takers” who all try to climb the ladder as fast as possible to get off the street are the desk jockeys that think they’re all the next best thing to happen to ‘administration’ and pretty much your lowest level of politician, never really wanting to be a street cop.

These admin types are the first to cut training to protect their budgets and make themselves look good for the next exam/promotion coming down the line. They don’t give a shit about any type of street/dynamic/firearms training, and are far more concerned with diversity training and sexual harassment training etc, again, to make themselves look like the grand little politicians that they actually are. This dynamic is not unlike what’s happening in today’s military as well with death by power point instead of patrol tactics/medical/terrain etc etc etc.

The second issue is with a large percentage of officers who do work the street, hate participating in any type of training, and if forced to show up will put out about enough effort to walk through it half asleep. They’re more concerned with where and when their next detail is and who’s banging who at HQ. I’ve seen it change so much over the last 2 decades that I don’t even recognize it anymore and I hate to say that because I do believe most start out with good intentions, but quickly realize it can get downright dangerous out there and if you’re not a fighter you’re gonna lose and get hurt quickly, so they want out (move upstairs to admin where they continue to suck at the job and then promote again and start making policies they don’t understand because they have no real experience yet on the street).

The good cops that fight to maintain a high standard and do good work out there daily, people never hear about and are constantly ostracized and questioned by the same test takers who went upstairs out of fear and now wear rank, telling them how it should of been done when they’ve never done it and looking down their noses at the actual police because they don’t like the violence that does come with the job, simply because they fear it may affect their next promotion.

It really is a shoveling shit against the tide job, and the lack of training and support from above is making it worse every day.

We need a whole lot less military type vehicles driving around our neighborhoods freaking people out, not every dept needs a swat team in their sleepy little villa, especially when they won’t pay for proper and continual training, what we need is a lot more quality training, old fashioned foot and brain work on the street and to clean house from the top down of those who should never be there in the first place. That’s my morning rant on the subject. Time for more coffee.

My thoughts and prayers for those killed and injured in this event and all of the others, it’s very sad and could easily be remedied by better training, better quality recruits, and substantially better leadership. I blame the politicians and administrations for not caring enough about their cops or their citizens, who should be one and the same.

Last edited:
The one I’m thinking of was a guy that had just executed a very specific individual in broad daylight, and was fleeing on foot.

Yeah, shot a former co-worker. Cops only managed to kill the perp though it was a suicide by cop. They did hit 9 bystanders, but none of them serious.

Can detectives carry any pistol they like? Just asking

Not in NYPD.

Mistaken shootings of plain clothes and undercover officers happen on a fairly regular basis. With shots fired, a confused scene, lots of adrenaline, it’s not a surprise.

Thoughts and prayers for the officer’s family and loved ones.

I feel for the family of the dead officer , but they had some higher up from the NYPD on this morning making the statement that this was entirely on the suspect.
No, no it's not.
From what I gather this was another "Circular firing squad " type situation.
It's bad training and possibly some unqualified individuals.
A while back a camera man from the shot "COPS" bought the farm in a similar situation.
Your fellow cops aren't supposed to be there as backstop .

A while back a camera man from the shot "COPS" bought the farm in a similar situation.
Sound guy, not camera man, but, yeah. Suspect with a BB gun started running when the cops and the camera crew came in, the cops began emptying their weapons, and the sound tech was hit in the melee. Really didn't look like the officers had much concept of who was around them.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lj7ksU1tJR0

Last edited:
Sound guy, not camera man, but, yeah. Suspect with a BB gun started running when the cops and the camera crew came in, the cops began emptying their weapons, and the camera man was hit in the melee. Really didn't look like the officers had much concept of who was around them.

The phrase "Panic kills " has basis.

Sound guy, not camera man, but, yeah. Suspect with a BB gun started running when the cops and the camera crew came in, the cops began emptying their weapons, and the camera man was hit in the melee. Really didn't look like the officers had much concept of who was around them.

I'm pretty shocked they would send a camera crew in on an armed robbery call. Seems flat out stupid.

Not in NYPD.

Mistaken shootings of plain clothes and undercover officers happen on a fairly regular basis. With shots fired, a confused scene, lots of adrenaline, it’s not a surprise.

Thoughts and prayers for the officer’s family and loved ones.

Again, for those NES "sheepdogs" who fancy themselves first responders and figure they'll go above and beyond in the event of an armed perp opening up in a supermarket or something...

Remember incidents like this. I always say that my CCW is for me and my family to get to the nearest exit tout suite, then it's going straight back in my N82 while, hopefully, I drive away and pretend like I saw nuffink. I have zero interest in being armed at a crime scene when the coppers arrive. Even the well-intentioned ones.

I'm pretty shocked they would send a camera crew in on an armed robbery call. Seems flat out stupid.

Live PD 9PM-12AM Friday/Saturday on A&E

They cover a few cars from each of 7-8 departments, ride with every call as it happens, get out of the car and join in foot pursuits, etc., etc.
It is based on bonded cellular technology and although they say it is live there is a brief “dump button” delay.
“Live PD” Producers Rely on VidOvation AVIWEST DMNG PRO180 Bonded Cellular Transmitters - VidOvation

Case where they would have had to use the dump was in Greene Co. MO except it was an off air night anyway.

After a car chase they were following a guy into a backyard, cameraman was standing no more than 3 feet from one of the two cops who shoot dead a guy raising a gun at them.
You never directly see the suspect in this video, and obviously the aftermath was never aired.

But yeah if you are right there following just feet away with a camera stuff can get real awful fast.

:emoji_tiger:

Back
Top Bottom