1943 S&W Victory

I picked this up last night, it has been on my want list for years but was waiting to find one in good condition and at a good price. It is a nice 1943 Victory, US property marked in 38 Special. I just fired a few rounds off into the wood pile and it works great. While it shows some use, it does not look like it was fired much. I love these old grips. Feel free to post pics of Victorys if you have them.

Next on the list is a S&W Victory 5 inch British style in 38S&W. If someone has one they would like to trade let me know. :)

DSCF2030.JPG DSCF2031.JPG DSCF2034.JPG

Very nice, enjoy it. Question please, after the war were these issued to postal inspectors?

Looks great! One of my personal favorites

Image011_zps59ea4a4f.jpg

Had to pass on a 410K one in .38 special as I got the Winchester. My time will come. I wonder what your stove/fireplace looks like after all the times you've taken your pistols out to the woodpile. What, have they been misbehaving or something?

T:)

Very nice, enjoy it. Question please, after the war were these issued to postal inspectors?

I do not know for sure. I do know that they were used by many people after the war, but I have never heard if they were used by the postal inspectors. I would think it was highly likely however.

Ranger.. very nice looking. Any more out there?
Martin... Yes.. mostly pistols these days. The older the better.
Majspud-- I have one big log that takes most of the hits with the rest of the pile acting as the berm. But when I am done with that one log I plan on scrapping it for the metal and not burning it in the wood stove. :)

If you can find a true short barreled Victory model, grab it as they are quite rare. The gun that Oswald used (that is pictured above) is a modified and cut down 5"or 6" Victory model that was sent to the UK (and other Commonwealth countries) that started out in .38S&W. They cut them down in England (by Cogswell and Harrison) and shipped them back here after the War to sell into the civilian market, after reaming out the cylinders to accommodate .38 Spcl. They are inferior examples that can be usually purchased for $150-200. The missing cylinder locking lug is usually the big giveaway. They were also sometimes nickeled in England.

They are very hit or miss quality-wise, but they are an interesting conversation piece that are usually safe to fire.

Last edited:

I know that M1917s were issued to Post Offices and I know that Victorys were issued to state civil defense organizations and some wound up with local PDs. I'm pretty sure that Lunenburg, MA PD had some at one time.

I saw WW2 era Victorys issued to female MPs in the Army as late as the mid 80s at Ft Devens as well as later Model 10s. A lot went to civil assistance aid packages to allies in emerging countries where we equipped their police forces as well as German and Austrian Police during the Occupation Period. I believe the Israelis used them right after independence and may have chambered them for 9mm.

I'm sure that in some remote part of the world they are still in service on some kind of military or police organization right along with Tokarevs, Makarovs, Webleys, and Browning Hi Powers.

Back in 1987 Barnacle Bill's in Groton had a nice clean Navy one for 99 dollars, beautiful double and single action. One that got away, still kicking myself. I got a 5 inch 38 S&W with Australian Markings in a pawn shop in Colorado Springs a few years later for about the same price. Still wish I had the 38 spl though.

Lots of Lend Lease guns were converted to 38 spl and refinished by Parker Hale (great post by Sandglove1 it was Cogswell and Harrison another old line English gun firm, alas now gone I think) imported to the U.S. After the war. 38 spl cases will expand and crack when you shoot them in these converted guns and accuracy suffers. Many as I recall were rebarreled to 4 inches, (again thanks Sandglove1) but I'm not 100 percent sure of that at this late date. They were incredibly cheap by today's standards.

The Victorys and all M&P Model 10 Revolvers remain some of my favorites and they are truly classics in every sense of the word and the gun that Smith and Wesson really built their reputation on.

Last edited:
Niner, that's another nice acquisition, congratulations.

Here's my K-200 which is not for sale or trade. Not as nice as yours by far, but it was dirt cheap as no one
wanted a .38 S&W. Shortly after the acquisition I ran into a case of 1,000 rds of Geco ammo.
links.jpg
rechts.jpg
Trommel.jpg

Brinks had some when I worked there,where they got them I don't have a clue.

If you can find a true short barreled Victory model, grab it as they are quite rare. The gun that Oswald used (that is pictured above) is a modified and cut down 5"or 6" Victory model that was sent to the UK (and other Commonwealth countries) that started out in .38S&W. They cut them down in England (by Cogswell and Harrison) and shipped them back here after the War to sell into the civilian market, after reaming out the cylinders to accommodate .38 Spcl. They are inferior examples that can be usually purchased for $150-200. The missing cylinder locking lug is usually the big giveaway. They were also sometimes nickeled in England.

They are very hit or miss quality-wise, but they are an interesting conversation piece that are usually safe to fire.

Do they have British proofs?

Some do, but others were refinished multiple times and the proofs/stamps went the way of the dinosaurs. You can still find them with various proof marks (crowns, numbers, letters, etc…). The British also added a tiny "NOTENGLISHMAKE" stamp on the frame to verify that the firearm was previously imported into the country, and not manufactured in the UK.

They are cool pieces, but you should never pay more than $200 for one. The last one I had was purchased from a fellow S&W Collectors Assoc. member for $125. I gave it to another collector a year later when he started to get into WWII firearms.

Anyone looking for one, Patriot Arms in Ipswich has one on consignment that looks pretty sweet...

victory_912.jpg

I like it Juergen. K-200? I have not heard them referenced as that before. Is that a European thing? I assume the K is for the K frame and the 200 is for the British S&W 200 round? It is blued so it must also be an early model?

I reload for the 38S&W so no problems with ammo there. I have both a Enfield No.2 and a Webley Mk. IV in 38 S&W already. I also have about 6 of the cheaper H&R and IJ top break pistols in 38 as well. I hope to find one like yours at some point.

Niner, that's another nice acquisition, congratulations.

Here's my K-200 which is not for sale or trade. Not as nice as yours by far, but it was dirt cheap as no one
wanted a .38 S&W. Shortly after the acquisition I ran into a case of 1,000 rds of Geco ammo.
View attachment 135203
View attachment 135204
View attachment 135205

Back
Top Bottom