1911 Night Sight Advice Needed

After running into difficulties at the Harvard IDPA practice last week as the light went away, I've decided to throw night sights on my S&W 1911 PD Government. I'm having a little difficulty on Midway's website trying to decide what the right ones for this gun are, though. Specifically, the dimensions. Am I correct that the "cut" is the width of the blade? The stock front post on my S&W is .130", and just about all the sights listed except those for Kimbers are listed as .075" cuts.

Next, I'm seeing them listed as various depths, but all are listed as .125" high. These dimensions are what confuse me the most. I'd assume that there are quite a few different blade heights available to set the POA, but this would indicate that the depth measurement is the blade height. This leaves me confused as to what the .125" height dimension is. To confuse things more, the height of the blade on my gun is .125" above the surface of the slide where it dovetails in.

Next, I'm seeing them listed as various depths, but all are listed as .125" high. These dimensions are what confuse me the most. I'd assume that there are quite a few different blade heights available to set the POA, but this would indicate that the depth measurement is the blade height. This leaves me confused as to what the .125" height dimension is. To confuse things more, the height of the blade on my gun is .125" above the surface of the slide where it dovetails in.[/Q
Sound like the same to me!!!! You answered your own Q..didn't you??!!!

I guess, so does that mean that all 1911 front sights are exactly that same height? And, what is the depth, and why is there so much variety available on the sights in that dimension?

Mark, I do realize that it was getting quite dark the other night at practice. However you may want to reconsider jumping into night sites so quick.. unless you want them for other reasons as well.

I've shot IDPA for a little while now and don't have night sites on any of my guns. We usually shoot at paper targets with more light or indoors (which requires a flashlight in no light situations anyway). Night sites are best in the conditions like our last practice (little light) but we don't often play in those conditions.

We're fighting with the shorter days now. Practices will be moving indoors soon anyway.

I actually do want them for practical reasons. That practice was really the first time I shot in low-light conditions, and it's really bugging me how I saw the target just fine but couldn't find the front sight, which caused my shots to go high until I over-compensated and got the target by shooting "blind". As the 1911 could potentially be a carry gun and is certainly my main house protection handgun, I need to address this.

I actually do want them for practical reasons. That practice was really the first time I shot in low-light conditions, and it's really bugging me how I saw the target just fine but couldn't find the front sight, which caused my shots to go high until I over-compensated and got the target by shooting "blind". As the 1911 could potentially be a carry gun and is certainly my main house protection handgun, I need to address this.

Makes perfect sense to me. If you need someone to install them (or possibly get them and install them) let us know... there are some local gunsmiths that several folks you met have used.

Nice to know I wasn't the only one with this issue. [smile]

Actually, I've been considering night sights for the same reasons.
(My 1911 is my primary carry & HD choice.)

TruGlo makes these nifty Tritium/FiberOptic hybrid sights;
TG131G1-Large.jpg

Unfortunately, they aren't available for 1911's yet.

Well while we are on the subject of night sights on a 1911 do any of those gunsmiths have the special Trijicon staking tool for the front blade? I looked in brownells but they want $252.19 for it at dealers cost. I can't see paying that to put on one blade.

I had my gunsmith put Meprolight night sights on my P14 (basically a hi-cap 1911). He used a new Caspian slide and mounted the night sights on it. Wonderful and bright. I looked at Trijicon, Heinie, and Meprolight at Brownells and Mepro was a good compromise on cost and style. Brownells says:
Used by NATO, U.S., and Israeli armies.

That worked for me. And I've shot two low light stages for IDPA and the sights worked fine. They don't snag on clothes or the holster and work like normal sights during the day. My vote is for Mepro.

S&W uses Novack sights, They are not the standard 1911 dovetail. You may want to call Novack or S&W to get the correct size

Thank you!! I was beginning to suspect that, and was coming to the conclusion a call to S&W was in order. I'm thinking the depth is the distance from the bottom of the dovetail to the bottom of the sight post. All the standard ones are 1.25" -- the one on my gun is .9". Why the frig couldn't they just go with a standard size?!?

Last edited:
Thank you!! I was beginning to suspect that, and was coming to the conclusion a call to S&W was in order. I'm thinking the depth is the distance from the bottom of the dovetail to the bottom of the sight post. All the standard ones are 1.25" -- the one on my gun is .9". Why the frig couldn't they just go with a standard size?!?

I think the sights are the same ones S&W uses on their 3rd generation autos, but I'm not positive on that.
I have had good experience with Novack, I sent them the slide from my 5906, it was back in a week, with a F.O. front and a wide notch rear.

Wow -- I should've just gone to the Novack site first! Everything I needed to know there, and it looks like very simple ordering. And, they offer their sights in different heights, so I can get rid of the 6 o'clock hold I have to use with 230 grain ammo. I think I'm going to order just a tritium front sight and see how that works before screwing with the rear as well. Thanks Swatmedic!

Your welcome, glad I could help.

Like I said, just send your slide to them, Since the slide is not considerd a firearm, you can ship it via UPS for about $8.

As stated, the S&W use a Novak cut. The height is the relationship of the front to rear.

If you want a nice set of sights at a fair price, Check out the Dawson Precision sights. You are best to call them 866-300-1911 to see what they recommend.

Or you can order direct from Trijicon who is the OEM supplier for S&W

Edit to add: Sights from Novak are more than sights from S&W and they are the same.

Back
Top Bottom