1911 Guide Rod and Plug Question

jayhitek

NES Member
I have a RIA 1911 9mm and it has a full size Government guide rod and Tactical - Open ended Guide Rod Plug.
(Standard M1911A1-FS)

It drives me nuts trying to push down on it and ripping my fingers and nails apart. Or having to use an object to do it.
I want to switch to a Closed plug to resolve that issue and match the checkered mag release button.

Only problem is that the existing guide rod and new closed plug are about 1/8" too long. (Won't compress to rotate Bushing).

So do I buy a new guide rod and cut 1/4" off the end?
Or do I buy a Commander sized guide rod?

My existing guide rod is 3 31/32" with a 21/64" diameter.

Last edited:
Actually I think i have it figured out.
The more i think about the movement and the slide and the guide rod. And along with unmodified 1911 videos..

I have to use those mini guide rods called G.I. that are like 2" long.
Other wise the slide won't be able to rack. It will be stuck in the forward position.

You're definitely opposed to using a bushing wrench? They're about six bucks at Brownells.

Not really opposed to it. I probably should get one for the hell of it anyways.

I was more doing it for the aesthetics. A checkered plug would match the checkered mag release.
But also needing a tool to take a gun apart drives me nuts.

Actually I think i have it figured out.
The more i think about the movement and the slide and the guide rod. And along with unmodified 1911 videos..

I have to use those mini guide rods called G.I. that are like 2" long.
Other wise the slide won't be able to rack. It will be stuck in the forward position.

Got it in one; GI plug and GI guide rods go together. You could certainly use a GI guide rod with an open plug meant for a FLGR, but as you realize, the reverse is not true. Good luck!

I'm trying a GI rod and bushing on my STI to run instead of the FLGR. I had a jam and it was a bitch to clear bc I could not just push the slide back on a bench.

Back
Top Bottom