1911 bushing wrench

I have an S&W 1911 45ACP.
Will any brand bushing wrench work?
Wilson combat , Colt?
Can I clean and take it apart without it until I get a new one?
Thanks, Mike

I have a standard length guide rod in my series 70.

Just push down on the tip of the bushing, place your hand over it so the spring/bushing doesn't go flying, and break the gun down like normal.

I have never used a bushing wrench. Again, that is on my 1911. Not sure if they are all the same.

Last edited:
I have a S&W1911SC. I tried pushing in the recoil spring plug without the wrench and it left a ring in my thumb that took a couple weeks to heal. The bushing on mine can cut like a cigar punch, so I haven't tried that again.

Last edited:
if you cant push it in with your fingers, any hard flat object will work, use an old credit card under your finger, i use a punch on the edge sometimes.

You shouldn't need a bushing tool. Almost anything will work. A cleaning brush, pen, knife, folded paper, your phone, a key, martini glass, or the Dolph Lundgren box DVD set.

I have a standard length guide rod in my series 70.

Just push down on the tip of the bushing, place your hand over it so the spring/bushing doesn't go flying, and break the gun down like normal.

I have never used a bushing wrench. Again, that is on my 1911. Not sure if they are all the same.

Same here I have a SR1911. Push down on the recoil spring plug rotate the barrell bushing and break down as normal.

Buy a cheap lactic one regardless of the name on it. They should not be more than a few bucks. Buy a couple.

Back
Top Bottom