• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

1911 , 9mm or .45

Compared to what?
Think about it for a second, the biggest Range in America wouldn't carry 3 brands of 1911's so figure out I don't know .....6 brands let's say (On a small scale) and the RIA beats them all in less repairs/Issues , this is coming from the Armorer himself there

Think about it for a second, the biggest Range in America wouldn't carry 3 brands of 1911's so figure out I don't know .....6 brands let's say (On a small scale) and the RIA beats them all in less repairs/Issues , this is coming from the Armorer himself there

Looks like all they have is Colt GI style. meh
http://www.battlefieldvegas.com/collections/pistols

anyway, my point wasn't anything against RIA as much as it was against the commander size pistol the OP has. She mentions wanting one or both a full size and 3" carry size 1911s. I say get both and ditch the compromise 4" gun gun.

They say they use Sig Springfields and Armscor
From the AR15.com thread

The Armscor 1911's are just as reliable as any of the other 1911's we use. We have (I apologize for not knowing the models) the Springfield 1911's with fancy wood grips and sights but they run just the same as the Armscor models. The Sig 1911 has yet to suffer any type of failure.

i think a nice SA EMP 3" 9mm , and a full size would be good.

this 9mm 1911 i have now , i cannot get rid of , its so nice for the money.

alright well at least i know the next 3 pistol purchases ,

a range officer 9mm op.
an emp 3"
and a LBO .45.

don't know the order yet though.

Last edited:
Osagecountyguns had it on gb so i bought it now. For basically 1200 shipped.

Never dealt with them before but screw it. This ks the 1911 for me

200.gif

just checked and that was not the long beach operator. too bad ..

well if someone wants to buy my glock 21sf and a norinco 1911.. i will buy the emp as well.

so do you now prefer the 9mm 1911? after having the .45's for a long time?
I wouldn't feel right saying I prefer the 9 over .45 in a 1911 platform. I think that since I converted everything in my carry rotation (even revolver) to 9mm the Ruger 1911 will see more use. The biggest reason i switched to 9mm was to be able to hit the range quickly allowing me to train with my carry guns more often. Can grab multiple firearms and one type ammo. The Ruger 1911 I think will see much range and carry use compared to the .45 1911s. When time permits and I can make a long range trip the Colt 1911A1 will come along with the Garand.

I say buy a 2011. 1911 is so old school. Double stack, polymer grip, STI 2011 in 9mm. They can handle major power factor ammo which is substantially more powerful than 45. Just my $.02

Only problem with double stacks are the mags in MA. Why bother when i can get 10 rd S.stack mags .. yes more mag changes but the reason i like the 1911 in the first place is the width and thinness of the grip .

My RIA 9mm 1911 is a breeze to shoot compared to .45 but i figure if this boat anchor of a 1911 with rail is around 40+ ounces , it will easily make the .45 recoil less than my 21sf. I dont really need any .45s as i mainly shoot 9mm exclusively . But i do like the idea of having the original 1911 in its caliber for a HD gun, the weight will help recoil, the caliber will go through less barriers in my apartment complex if there is an intruder. And if the suppressor bill passes and we somehow get them.. a .45 is the obvious choice for that arena running ball ammo.

I tried hard to like the glock 21sf but its just a chunky gun , when the 9mm glocks fit so well, and now the 1911 fits so well too.

So looking at the three

The range officer 9mm operator with the rail is about 850 give or take

The emp is 900$

And the LBO is 1200.

I really do only shoot 9mm nowdays. And when i look at the ria 9mm i will be keeping it cause it is amazing for the cost.

But, that range officer is very enticing. I would save roughly 200 dollars picking the 9mm RO.O vs the .45 loaded LBO.

I could then send the RO.O to SA and have them armory kote the RO.O and get some grips and i would basically have the LBO in 9mm.

I think its roughly 150 for the armory kote job.

But .45 isnt that bad in a full steel gun right. But it wont get shot as much as a 9mm.

The RO.O does not have night sites as well.

If you think i should just skip all of this and get my future carry gun , the 3" emp black, tell me. Cause i plan on replacing all my glocks except for 1 of each: 19,26,42

I vote for both. You can own a 1911 in whatever caliber you want, as long as you already have a 45 1911 to welcome it home. Personally I wouldnt get a 9mm. Just dont have a desire. 10mm though... nothing fancy because I cant afford fancy, but Ive got my eyes on a RIA M1911A1 5" Tactical in 10mm

Any besides the EMP would be my vote or you. But for me I'd get the 45.

What made you decide on Springfield only?

Last edited:
Update:

when listening to the comments here , and me being a 9mm person , i really wanted to get that .45 but just looking at the .45 that always sits in the safe (glock 21) vs my 9mm's that i always bring the to the range. this LBO was going to be a shoot little due to cost and recoil. i had to change my idea of what to pick up.

I have a nice heavy 9mm 1911, and wanted something for carry , and to start carrying 1911's so i decided on that 3" EMP i had to put away my reservations for .45 and realized the LBO was just a range officer with armory kote.

so when i want a full-size , i will add the range officer in 9mm and skip the .45

I like Springfield for their cost and their forged frames and their precise barrels. i also love the idea of the EMP series being built around the 9mm bullet instead of most 9mm 1911's with the .45 mags converted to 9mm.

Last edited:
I can shoot an SR1911 in 45 almost as well as my SR 22. That's why I bought one. With my S&W M&P Shield in 9mm even with the Apex trigger I'm lucky to stay on a pie plate at 10 yds. THat's why I want the 9mm 1911, though I wish it was available in 5" barrel.

QB, Thinking a bit outside the box, have you thought about the pistol that JMB was working on when he passed, the Browning Hi Power in 9mm? The late, great Stephen A. Camp said it best: http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/Why the 9mm Hi Power Remains Favorite.htm

I am a Beretta, SIG, and 1911 guy, but there is also a place in my heart for the Hi Power. I have two: one a 'beater' with worn bluing and wood grips, and the other a two-tone range shooter with G10 grips and adjustable sights. Both will shoot as accurately as a Langdon-tuned Beretta Compact, and can be carried cocked-and-locked. Hi Powers do pop up in the NES Classifieds. Some ranges have one for rent, but if you can't find one, send me a PM. Happy to meet up some time so you can try one or both of mine. I'm often in Holliston using the range at MFS. ciadst

Holy thread resurrection. i went down the 1911 rabbit hole a long time ago. other than my glock 19's , 42 and lone 26 that just sits in the safe now .. everything else has gone 1911.. gone are my glock 21's and glock 30 , replaced by 1911's .

i still carry the 19 for now , but the urge to move to the 1911 for winter carry is strong. i want to pick up some of those RPM mags from Chip McCormick.

i do see the reasoning behind the .45 in the 1911 over a 9mm, i still have a 9mm ria 1911 that is amazing but .45 is where it is at for fullsize 1911's. i thought about the emp, but glad i didnt end up keeping it. i mostly stick to .45 , and leave the glocks to the 9mm

Last edited:
I agree with the preference for .45 ACP in the 1911, but with heavy winter clothing, the characteristics of modern 9mm ammo like the Hornady Critical Duty polymer-tip HP ammo are attractive. In the winter I mostly carry a Beretta Compact or Compact Type M: plenty of room in front of the trigger for a gloved finger. I actually prefer my S&W Commander-sized Performance Center 1911 in .45 ACP or a Browning Hi Power in 9mm in the summer. Both are slim and are tuned for superb single-action. I'm actually selling my last Glock, a Glock 23 Gen 3 with a complete Glock 19 top-end. Great gun: reliable, accurate, and lightweight, but it's not a natural pointer for me, and the SW1911 round-butt PC set me back a few dollars!

Back
Top Bottom