1905 Ross Rifle US MARKED!!!

Someone pointed me in the direction of this gem from another forum. Appears to be an unsanded stock (recoil bolt seem to have nice countersink) Cartouches are nice and crisp although I need to do some research as to the meaning of the markings. Bore is mint and the bluing on the barrel has turned to a beautiful plumb brown. No rust or pitting. No import marks. Very well kept. I paid more than I would have liked but still got a decent deal.

Now that I have this and my US marked M91 NEW. I think I have some of the odd ball US WWI firearms covered.

If anyone can offer some advice onto the markings. I kinda was thrown onto this one and very thankful. My 3rd Ross Rifle and this is definitely the nicest I've owned. I just sold my last one to cover this purchase, seller's remorse at first until I got my hands on this.

I will probably never take it apart because I did that once and it was a nightmare to disassemble and re-assemble.

All 1905 MkII Ross Rifles I have found (including this one) have 3 out of 4 front sight screws with 1 missing. Not sure why.

Does anyone have any pictures of US soldiers training with these rifles?

Let me know what you think...

Wow that is a beauty! Is the sling original too? The seller's pictures didn't do justice to that gorgeous example.

All too often these are seen with the barrel and/or stock chopped, and any cartouches are sanded to oblivion.

This example is nearly as nice as they come.

Yeah I paid (to me an arm and a leg) $950. But the guy was willing to drive 3/4 of the way to do a FTF. And I don't think I can upgrade this one. I recently saw an example on Simpson with damaged sanded stock go for more. So I figured bite the bullet and buy it. I've paid more for firearms (not that makes me sleep better at night)

I gotta thank JPM for the heads up I never would have found it otherwise!

Back
Top Bottom