1905 Ross MKII 3* - US Surcharged

Well, it took ten years of searching, and only a few seconds of weakness to bid enough for the win. But my desire is entirely satisfied with a fine 1905 Ross MKII 3*.

The Ross Rifles from Quebec, Canada were well renowned for power and accuracy afield. But their reputation diminished quickly during WWI. The straight pull, rotating bolt design with tight tolerances was not suited for the environment of trench warfare, and many would jam the bolts shut with dirt, or fail to eject spent cases. Some received a chamber reaming in an attempt to relieve the issues, but by mid-1916, the Canadian Military relegated the Ross to limited sniper operation and opted for the more reliable Lee Enfield SMLE on the battle lines.

In 1917, the US Government was short on available arms, and purchased 20,000 Ross MkII rifles for training needs. Ten thousand were sent to the New York State Guard, and 5,000 each went to guard units in Massachusetts and Ohio. The guns were marked on the underside of the stock wrist with a Flaming Bomb, US, and the serial number. Bayonets were marked on the wooden grip, accordingly. The rifles were fitted with Kerr slings.

Following Guard service, the rifles were offered through the DCM to NRA members in 1926, but even at $3.50 per unit, sales were not brisk and unsold inventories were sent back to Canada. A large percentage of those which were still in the US were converted to target and sporting arms. Those which remain in military configuration today have become scarce items to procure for collectors.

I've passed on a couple of sportered MKII's, as stocks and other parts are not easily obtained. So I was determined not to lose the only full stocked example I've seen.

Pics, enjoy, and thanks for looking.

wLpc4oEl.jpg

OBJiOsPl.jpg

gZdfk4hl.jpg

y1rjoeWl.jpg

0ZoItGMl.jpg

NPyRjRFl.jpg

W7GCIVml.jpg

WTATADwl.jpg

nexYZGTl.jpg

bf7ijWYl.jpg

8E9N9PVl.jpg

VNVXvHel.jpg

t9iosF9l.jpg

dn21ItPl.jpg

i6rcHLUl.jpg

As3cSdgl.jpg

Lk2HC5pl.jpg

QATKu7Yl.jpg

The wrist stamp has the flaming bomb, a US (with an extra 'S'), and the serial number 18,952.

Yeah. There are many variations of the Ross, with different calibers, sights, barrel lengths, etc. But my goal was to attain the two best known military configurations, the 1905 MkII and Model 1910 MkIII.

The MkIII is also in great condition for the age.

1RossM1910_001.jpg

1RossM1910_002.jpg

1RossM1910_003.jpg

1RossM1910_005.jpg

It went to NY, MA, or OH. No way of telling. Some of the NY stocks were marked with paint, but some weren't. Yes, it's in .303 Brit.

Very nice Martin08. Love it. They're great looking rifles. I picked one last year paid way too much. But they're just so neat looking.

Have you been able to find any photos of US troops training with them? I can't for the life of me.

I see so many different rifles in that design.....man its like the Canadians tossed up every service rifle of the time period and these where the parts that hit the ground.... do you think the Canadians kick themselves for loosing JCG?

Back
Top Bottom