1903 stock advise (pic intensive)

DTR

Hey guys, I'm looking for some advice on refinishing the stock of my 1903A3. The metal on the rifle is beautiful and the wood is actually very nice. The only problem is that someone before me (I bought it through the CMP) put about an 1/8" thick of poly on the stock. The wood has a very attractive red coloring but looks plasticy because of the poly. I would like to remove the poly but still retain the color. I assume sanding would remove both. So what are my options? I don't have a ton of experience redoing rifle stocks. The only one I have ever completely stripped and refinished was a 1903a3 chromed drill rifle that was beat but very cheap. I think that came out alright, so I think I'm ready to work on this stock but I may be completely over my head. Let me know what you think

Thanks

Heres some pictures of the rifle in question.
100_7291.jpg
100_7290.jpg

More pics here if you are interested. http://s175.photobucket.com/albums/w155/dtr84/1903A3/

Heres a before and after pic of the parade rifle I refinished in the past.
Before
1903001.jpg

After
1903007.jpg

More pics here http://s175.photobucket.com/albums/w155/dtr84/1903A3 drill rifle woodwork/

You'll need to chemically strip it. I think google will be your friend unless member Cabinetman (Rome) chimes in. Maybe you should try PMing him. He's the "man" when it comes to wood and finish Qs.

Klean Strip makes a wood safe stripper that will soften up that glopped on poly finish and leave you with a nice clean stock to work with. Its citrus based and "safe" but they still recomend gloves and so do I.

I've used it before to remove such a finish from an old M44 Mosin stock and while it takes a few coats, the last works best with coarse steel wool.

Great job btw on the stock you refinished! I'd buy that in a second for a project.

Heck if you did that parade rifle, what are you scared of. I had a gun stock redone at a gun friendly wood re finisher. Like you I did not want to loose the color. Sadly he is gone.
This was many years ago. charged me 50.00 well worth it. Came out perfect. Stock was on a older ruger M77 which I sold shortly after the redo

I have used strip-eze with wooden edge and scotch-brite pad on my Mauser stocks, and have had good results. It is a goopy white jello like substance. Let it sit 30-45 minutes until the poly is soft and can be scraped off. Depending on the thickness of the poly you may need up to 4 applications to get it all off.

MS

bnz8.jpg

s42g2.jpg

DOT44g.jpg

Back
Top Bottom