1903 Springfield 1913

Hey Guys,

I recently picked up this 1903. I am by no means an expert. But it looks like it may be "mostly" correct. Someone please correct me if something is off. The hand guard looks correct. The rear ladder sight looks correct. The bolt I can not tell the markings to tell the honest truth. The stock has great inspector stamps and is a 1 bolt stock. Nice race number on the stock. No NRA and flaming bomb on the trigger guard. Checkered butt plate

Everything looks correct. But I know either on this forum or another one someone more knowledgeable than me is going to point out something I may have missed before I bought it.

It looks great from my low-experienced eyes. But I'm hoping I didn't miss anything and learn an expensive lesson if you know what I mean.

Is anything out of place on it?

To start, that looks really good as a collectible.

As stated, the handguard, rear sight (large windage knob), one-bolt stock are all period correct. Checkered buttplate and lower receiver wood on the front receiver ring are also correct for the stock. Only the inspector stamp (JFC) appears to be a few years early for a 1913 build - but many guns were assembled with existing parts, so this is not too unusual.

Serif lettering on the cut-off is correct. Barrel date and receiver serial number match up perfectly. Looks to be the original blue finish, though worn. H-stamped bayonet lug is correct.

Look for the steel lot code on the underside of the bolt lug, instead of the root handle of the bolt. But the straight bolt handle is definitely pre-1919.

The rifle was obviously used for training, per the rack numbers. Sometimes bores can be rather crusty from excessive blank firing.

But overall, keep that one proudly. It's a low serial number, so use discretion if you plan to fire it.

To start, that looks really good as a collectible.

As stated, the handguard, rear sight (large windage knob), one-bolt stock are all period correct. Checkered buttplate and lower receiver wood on the front receiver ring are also correct for the stock. Only the inspector stamp (JFC) appears to be a few years early for a 1913 build - but many guns were assembled with existing parts, so this is not too unusual.

Serif lettering on the cut-off is correct. Barrel date and receiver serial number match up perfectly. Looks to be the original blue finish, though worn. H-stamped bayonet lug is correct.

Look for the steel lot code on the underside of the bolt lug, instead of the root handle of the bolt. But the straight bolt handle is definitely pre-1919.

The rifle was obviously used for training, per the rack numbers. Sometimes bores can be rather crusty from excessive blank firing.

But overall, keep that one proudly. It's a low serial number, so use discretion if you plan to fire it.

Thanks so far it's been pointed out that the rear slide binding screw, cocking piece and trigger have been replaced.

I usually look on the underside of the bolt lug but there are no markings. Not even faint.

I don't plan to shoot it. Just a certain member on another forum (he's on probably more than a dozen) gave me an unhealthy addiction to low number 1903s.

And the bore is amazing.

Thanks for the tips.

If the bolt has no markings, it could be from either an early Springfield or Rock Island. Even though steel lot codes began application in late 1903, some bolts remained unmarked through 1906.

Still, with only a few parts which have been replaced, this gun appears as close to original as one might ever expect to find on a 1913.

Very cool piece.

Thanks, now I'm addicted. I'll probably look for a 1905 Rod bayonet conversion.

But a USMC rebuild is now on my radar. These 1903s are addictive! Must be something in the wood.

Back
Top Bottom