• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

1894 Winchester 32/40

426wedge

NES Member
The rifle is in good shape, I cleaned it as well as I could with out dismantling anything. the bore looks good after running a brush thru it a few times. the rifling is noticeable. Action works smoothly. Hammer is smooth as well as the pin. the gate feels good when I load a couple rounds and eject fine. So, anyone have any advice before I shoot it? I do have a sled.

The rifle is in good shape, I cleaned it as well as I could with out dismantling anything. the bore looks good after running a brush thru it a few times. the rifling is noticeable. Action works smoothly. Hammer is smooth as well as the pin. the gate feels good when I load a couple rounds and eject fine. So, anyone have any advice before I shoot it? I do have a sled.
If you actually have ammo for it just shoot it. Where did you get a supply if 32 40?

He probably wants the lead sled for a few safety shots. Although just because there wasn’t a catastrophic failure for the first 5 rounds dosnt mean it won’t happen on the 6th. If it’s in truly good shape and the chamber is not heavily pitted I would just shoot it and not worry about the lead sled.

The only potential problem I see is corrosion from black powder. That's a possibility in an old rifle in that caliber. If the bore and chamber aren't rusted to shit, you should be good. If the bore doesn't look great, don't be discouraged. I have an 1873 made in 1889 that has a very rough bore. It still shoots hard cast lead very well.

Fire away. I love all my old Winchesters. Congratulations.

Back
Top Bottom