1884 Trapdoor Springfield

Hello! I picked up this rifle the other day from a local shop. It was found inside the wall of a house in Framingham, MA. It's suggested that it must have been in there for at least 50 years. I'm just starting to learn about these rifles, and I have a question on this one. It says that it's a model 1884, but the serial number is 146122. Looking up the dates that serial says it would've been made in 1881. The stock is stamped 1891. The shop owner had said it was all matching. I'm confused. Can someone educate me on this rifle? I appreciate any info. Thanks! I haven't cleaned it or anything, so it's just as it came out of the wall! IMG_1154.jpg IMG_1155.jpg IMG_1156.jpg IMG_1210.jpg IMG_1211.jpg

So in regards to a large portion of these rifles a few things could apply to the features you have listed.
It is not uncommon for receivers at the end of a run to be continued forward into the next production run especially while retooling. The US Arsenal was particularly bad about this during this point in time. During the 1880s and 1890s it was not uncommon at all to have arsenal refinishes as well that did not include very many of the original parts at all as well.
FAQs I have found to be a good source on the rifles just from reading the FAQ listed he mentions number ranges that include yours that have been known to have sweeps of parts from different lots. That being said during this period of time they were selling spare parts that third parties were assembling into rifles which would result in the cessation of parts being sold.
Edit:
Posting this while waiting to go into work I can post better details if someone didn't answer before I get out.

Your rifle is actually a Model 1888. It has the ramrod bayonet assembly and butt plate with the hinged door. It is entirely possible that it is legit. The serial number is in the range that Al Frasca notes on his FAQ page for earlier receivers used on Model 1888's. A close up photo of the lock plate would help to further determine its legitimacy.

The ramrod bayonet, M1888, and 1891 cartouche are "period" matched by type; but SN should be in the 500K range. Reused old action? Who knows. Butt stampings obviously Company "A," weapon 57. "1" may be battalion.

Great site for trapdoors; I got a few parts for mine.

The U.S. Springfield Trapdoor Rifle Information Center

Wow; matched opinions typed separately!

T

Glad to see others managed to answer it further since I posted (taking my break) funny to see that majspud posted same reference link though my link appears to be working it cut it down to just saying FAQ. Upon further it definitely appears exactly as described above. Always cool to see what was clearly a well used rifle.

I have one of these low number 1888 trapdoors myself which is right in the middle of the range of low numbers and here's what I found about them. Yours seems to be in the right s/n block for this being just north of 145K...

HOW FAR APART MAY SERIAL NUMBER & CARTOUCHE DATE SAFELY BE?
So far as general circumstances are concerned, the serial number SHOULD agree with the date (1877 and later, only) on the Master Armorer¹s cartouche. The PRODUCTION DATA given on the home page of this web site gives the best correlation thus far presented. If your serial number is +/- 1500 digits from a designated final production number for a given year, that is considered acceptable because the serial numbering of receivers was to be about a month ahead of production. Thus, depending on which box of receivers was grabbed first, you can have variations of this order of magnitude.

There are two notable exceptions to this rule, and both involve the final model of the trapdoor, the MODEL 1888 Rod-bayonet Rifle. A number (too many to be chance) of arms in the 97,000 - 145,000 range have been found, frequently in fine condition, in this configuration. Clearly, these represent "sweeping out the shop, or since there are so many, possibly disassembling the older model arms". Another group of "out-of-step" M1888 numbers (in the low 300,000 range) also occurs - these are the remains of the 1,000 Model 1884 Experimental Rod-bayonet Rifles, which were scrapped and rebuilt. This is further confirmed by the fact that original unaltered M1884RRB specimens are nearly nonexistent (far and away the rarest SA experimental arm, among those made in similar quantities).

A good cleaning with Kroil and cheesecloth will get that rust off. Now you need to fill the butt trap with tool, cleaning jag, broken shell extractor; as well as a sling, and sight hood. Mine is 1892.

The jag, tool, and cover came from came from the previous link. There are two types of hoods for the ramrod bayonet; as shown for the rifle, and a longer stamped one. The wear pattern on mine indicated the shorter one.

The original sling came from S+S firearms
S & S Firearms Home

The broken shell extractor came from eBay.

t

Attachments

• IMG_4483.jpg
    IMG_4483.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_4484.jpg
    IMG_4484.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_4485.jpg
    IMG_4485.jpg
    202 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_4486.jpg
    IMG_4486.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
yeah get some 0000 steel wool and oil like CLP or Kroil and just lightly clean the metal surfaces till you can see what's under the filth. Hopefully bluing! BE CAREFUL if you try to remove it from the stock, there's a series of steps on the trapdoor website that tells you how to do it without breaking stuff. Then I'd use a 50/50 mix of turpentine and BLO with cheesecloth or even terrycloth to clean the wood. If you have any stubborn areas you can use the 0000 steel wool dipped in the mixture to lightly buff the wood. Go slow

Thanks so much guys for all the great info! I’ll get it cleaned up and take a good close look at everything. It’ll be a week or so before I get to it, but it’s been that dirty for at least 50+ years, so another week shouldn’t bother it!! :)

Found this box (less 3) of vintage Remington 405gr. SJWC for the Trapdoor. We're cleaning and packing house in preparation for moving. Wonder if I'll have better luck than the box I had for the Krag.

t
IMG_4487.jpg

you really shouldn't use jacketed rounds in a trapdoor, it will wear out your bore because the steel isn't as hard as today's barrels. Lead only

no WOOL just oil and rags that thing will clean right up.... give the bore a quick mop and shoot it!

Back
Top Bottom