1822 M1816 T2 Springfield Belgian percussion conversion: range report

majspud

NES Life Member
NES Member
Another musket for the wall. This one fills the gap between my M1795 and M1842; an 1822 M1816 Springfield flintlock converted to percussion in the 1850s, and most likely used early in the Civil War. There are three variations: the 1816 Type 1, the Type 2 (sometimes called M1822) and the Type 3 (sometimes called the M1835). There were no official designations of M1822 and M1835, just a set of minor changes begun that year. Stock is great with no cracks but a little missing wood around the tang. Bore has light pitting for the first six inches, and is better lower down. This type of conversion is called the cone-in-barrel (or Belgian cone) and was the most common type of conversion. The integral brass flash pan was ground down to the side plate and filled, the holes for the frizzen and spring were filled, and offset right on the breech the barrel was drilled and tapped for the cone. Another two types were the drum-and-bolster and one by Remington. Stock cartouche is illegible, and there is graffiti below it "MMP." On the left edge of the breech there is a "S.M.C." stamp - it may be a unit or militia designation. The bayonet is original and the sling and tompion reproductions.

Some unusual stamps: "MM" inside lock upper left and ZR in center, "PT" and "T" inside and to the front of the trigger guard, "7" and "T" on the wood in front of the butt plate, "D" on the side plate, and "T" sub-assembly marks on all internal lock parts.

The M1816 is one of the longest serving long arms for the U.S.; from 1816-1842.

T

http://s470.photobucket.com/user/majspud/slideshow/1822 M1816 Springfield

Last edited:
Wow, fascinating and great pics too. That particular method of conversion is an interesting way to do it. I know next to nothing about revolutionary through early civil war firearms- hope to learn something over time.

Under barrel proofs, and after a moderate cleaning to remove surface rust with Kroil and soap/water on the stock. I forgot to put gloves on; now I'll have rusty hands for a couple of days.[frown]

T

Last edited:
Inventory of the Virginia State Arsenal, compiled between April-June, 1861:

- 27,306 Flintlocks
- 24,307 M1816 patterns still in their original flintlock form
- 1,638 M1812 patterned Va Manufactory Musket
- 541 M1795 US Muskets
- 700 "English Flint Muskets"
- 120 "Flint Rifles" (thought to be M1814 short rifles)

- 14,363 Percussion
- 9,386 M1816 patterns, converted
- 379 M1812 Virginia Manufactory Pattern, converted
- 3,731 M1842 - Muskets
- 187 M1842 - Rifled Muskets
- 12 M1855 Rifled Muskets
- 668 M1858 Harpers Ferry Rifle
- 135 (not identified)

Interesting picture I came across showing the Belgian Cone conversion with the original flint lock system still present. Maybe an in-the-field snuff box?

Article explaining the different percussion conversion types of the era.

http://americansocietyofarmscollectors.hostguardian.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/B025_Howell.pdf

T

Last edited:
Range report: 91 degrees, humid, and still. 5 rounds .68 ball over 80gr 3X powder, 50 yards standing. At 193 years old, she still has some fight left in her.

T

Very cool..... love the life brought back to some of these old dogs. I was watching one of the black powder guys shooting on the 200 yard line with a musket of some sort. Light loads but still manage 4 of 5 shots into the 13" bull... looked like paper patched conical bullets he was loading?

Back
Top Bottom