17 Caliber Pistols

We have a couple of threads going about .22 rimfire conversion kits and the search for a 1911 frame with one factory installed.

While doing a little research on this, I noticed that the Kimber Rimfire model is also available in .17 Mach Two.

Now, we sell a shitload of rifles in both .17 HMR (based on the .22WMR) and .17 Mach Two (based on the .22LR) at the Gander Mountain I work at. I'm not positive what they really accomplish, from a ballistic viewpoint, but from a MARKETING viewpoint, they were a brilliant idea.

We also sell a few revolvers - Taurus and Ruger - in .17 caliber, and I think Ruger also chambers their Mark IIIs in one or the other .17 caliber.

For the life of me, I don't know why. .17 caliber ammo is WAY too expensive to just plink with. For hunting? What will it do that you can't do with a .22?

Now, a 1911 with a .17 bore? WTH For?

Can anybody here tell me why you'd want a .17 caliber handgun? Inquiring minds want to know . . .

Regards
John

Some good insight
http://www.outdoorsdirectory.com/akforum/akshooting/18978.htm?a=view
Camp HandGunning .17HMR vs. .22LR
Posted by Brian Richardson on Apr 22 2004

If you were talking rifles I'd say hands down the .17HMR over the .22LR

(Regardless of ammo price… besides premium match ammo is the same price in .22LR as V-MAX .17HMR).

Why??? The accuracy of a $250 .17HMR is on par or better than most very high dollar .22LR match rifles... with one real distinct advantage of the 50+ yards accuracy and trajectory.

I have been Ptarmigan/small game hunting the past 2 years with a scoped CZ rifle in .17HMR and only head shoot with total poise in the point of aim dept. - Routine head hunting (because w/ this round it is imperative) and shots average 50-90 yards. Yes, I was consistently doing this with a Walther rifle and occasionally bringing out the match Martini… But those are exceptional guns or at least not on the store shelves. The greatest intricacy was trajectory with the .22LR to be precise at 50+ yards. The .17HMR is a remarkable step in rimfire capability over the .22LR or Mag. in this aspect and in addition is easier to be more accurate with sans all the thinking process.

Now Handguns… Different story (at least for me). My match gun is a 41 S&W .22LR and is straightforwardly a ½ incher or better at 50 yards. Today, I am not competitive so it is equipped with a 4x Leupold on Warne bases/rings. This is a small game getting machine, and will easily be more accurate than most production off-the-shelf rifles and so many of those 10/22 aftermarket fixers. For me… The real facilitating service of the .17HMR is the 50+ and beyond measures. Less than 50 yds., for target and hunting small game… I have 22LR guns (rifles & handguns) that for all practical purposes will group pretty much the same.

So I would have to say that for handgun use in general (particularly without a scope) – I would not go with the .17HMR in that I doubt most would shoot a rimfire handgun very often beyond the 50+ yards. Heck, even most will not invest the time and in the ammo selection that it takes to drive tacks with .22LR at 50+ yards.

The newest .17 Mach 2 on the LR case may be worth waiting for to gain enhanced accuracy in a handgun 50 yards and in… we’ll see.

Margin of error is central to small game hunting, and the limitations involving destruction of any little amount of meat can be a testing consideration. Handgun use will most often demonstrate more fringe error than sound rifle shooting.

This is for the most part to say that the .17HMR is an explosive little pill, and that head shots are a must to conserve meat loss – margin for error has to be less – and better that the .17HMR proves more accuracy potential than the .22LR. Nevertheless… if and when you miss by even a little… the .17HMR will obliterate camp cookery.

In using a handgun as a camp extra for small game getting - I do not consider that these guns in general will be set up for match accuracy showing potential for head shooting consistency.

--- Therefore the .22LR fits the Camp gun small game getter scenario as it will do far less devastation to your birds, Hares, or other small critters if your aim is a bit off ---

Brian Richardson
EXPLORE WHERE FEW HAVE BEEN BEFORE!
http://www.northernrim.com
1-800-616-RAFT

Optimistic Paranoid said:
Can anybody here tell me why you'd want a .17 caliber handgun? Inquiring minds want to know . . .

Regards
John

I've got a Taurus Tracker in 17HMR w/Leupold 2x pistol scope.

Why? Why not? Same reason I have three or four more Garands than I need (or AR's, or M14's, or shotguns, etc..). It came into the gunshop used while I was there, so I bought it. I don't shoot it much, but it sure is accurate.

Back
Top Bottom