125grn vs 148grn vs 158grn in 38spl

Not sure if this is the right area or not...

My LCR is loaded with 125 grain Hornady standard velocity XTP's. But I practice with 148 grain target loads. Does it matter out to 7 yards or so? The rule of thumb being, heavier bullets (and/or power) shoot higher than lighter bullets. But at 10 yards? [I shoot my 22 at 10 yards, then the 38--since I can easily reshoot the target, since it's easy to tell by the holes.]

I feel like I shoot lower with the 130 grain FMJ WWB fodder, but then again, I'm a lousy shot and I shoot FMJ less frequently. Anyhow, what I'm wondering is, is it worthwhile to pick up a box of 125 grain LRN/whatever is in 125grain and load up a few boxes? I'd just as soon stick with WC's, if only for the nice easy-to-read holes they make.

For practice you shoot what you can afford/find. Build your skills with practice ammo. (the more you shoot the better you will become) Take a few shots with your carry ammo occassionally to ensure you know the how it hits to your point of aim. Don't be afraid to try other defensive ammo but you don't have to shoot it exclusively. Target ammo is for practice.

Bullet velocity determines point of impact and there can be quite a difference in a short barreled revolver. Higher velocity bullets impact lower than slower rounds. I think the difference becomes noticeable at about fifty feet. The cause of this is called "barrel time". Fast bullets exit the barrel before the gun is in full recoil and impact lower while slower bullets leave the barrel after the gun has recoiled more and impact higher. This is most pronounced in short barreled pistols.

Back
Top Bottom