-

That is a nice chunk of land. What state?

Mass Gov website:http://www.malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartIV/TitleI/Chapter269/Section12e

This has been covered before so don't get upset if this thread gets closed.

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/63284-Shooting-on-MY-property

That thread pertains to CT. Here's the most recent thread on this subject...

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/115093-Building-a-Gun-Range-on-your-own-property

Thanks for the support guys. The land is in Medway, Massachusetts.

I really want to make sure I take all precautions before shooting my rifles on my land and finding out that its not legal.

It is technically legal, providing you are 150' from the road. Also subject to any municipal ordinances. See the thread I linked above.

The municipal standards are what's gonna shut you down. Hate to be a party pooper but most towns have a "no firearm discharge within city limits" standard. I've got 23 acres and it was a bitch sifting through the regs to get a range. Last year they passed a "no discharge within city limits". That did me in.

Fight it. You may be grandfathered if you can prove you were using it prior to the ordinance. If you are outside any heavily developed areas you can probably have a lawyer send a letter telling the town they don't have the right to prevent you from using your own property. After all, it isn't like your running a range as a business. It is only personal use.
The municipal standards are what's gonna shut you down. Hate to be a party pooper but most towns have a "no firearm discharge within city limits" standard. I've got 23 acres and it was a bitch sifting through the regs to get a range. Last year they passed a "no discharge within city limits". That did me in.

haha honestly if I can set up a small range here legally I dont mind if some of you guys stop by on occasion and shoot for free as long as you let me know beforehand, but before any kind of range begins to be built I need to make sure its legal first.

@freewillie my town is pretty far away from a city so I shouldnt have any problems with "x" amount of yards within city limits laws.

I still need to make sure of any laws in my town first though, Massachusetts laws can be a bitch..

Fight it. You may be grandfathered if you can prove you were using it prior to the ordinance. If you are outside any heavily developed areas you can probably have a lawyer send a letter telling the town they don't have the right to prevent you from using your own property. After all, it isn't like your running a range as a business. It is only personal use.

Yep and then just one neighbor (a liberal, sock and sandal wearing, save the whales, whiner that moved here from Boston, as a renter, mind you, and was "afraid" when she heard gunfire) expressed their objection and it was all over. Her rights are a lot more important than mine.

ETA: There is a quarry behind my property and they blast all the time but my shooting a 9mm makes her afraid but detonating 10 lbs of TNT doesn't.

Last edited:
Remember, your next door neighbor no doubt subscribes to this tripe from chief Seattle: "The earth does not belong to man, man belongs to the earth."

Yep and then just one neighbor (a liberal, sock and sandal wearing, save the whales, whiner that moved here from Boston, as a renter, mind you, and was "afraid" when she heard gunfire) expressed their objection and it was all over. Her rights are a lot more important than mine.

ETA: There is a quarry behind my property and they blast all the time but my shooting a 9mm makes her afraid but detonating 10 lbs of TNT doesn't.

This happened to me with our liberal neighbor. But my chief told her to deal with it.

This happened to me with our liberal neighbor. But my chief told her to deal with it.

I love my chief. He's a great guy and if it was up to him he'd do the same. But there are other pressures. My town is green and the only reason it's green is because of him. It's tougher for him to keep it green with the influx of the sandal wearers. So I'll curb the shooting on MY property and go to the range more. The Inner City blight is upon us.

bump. So does anybody have some concrete evidence that it is legal to shoot on your own land in MA?

Just came across this post and was curious how you made out with the range? I'm in Medway too
Per Medway Bylaws (updated 11-9-17)
Section 12.20
(a) No person shall fire or discharge any firearm within the limits of any school, park, playground, or other Town and/or private property, or hunt or fire or discharge any firearm on private property without written consent of the owner or legal occupant thereof, or in the case of Town Property the Chief of Police.
(b)This By-Law shall not apply to the lawful defense of life or property or any law enforcement officer acting in the discharge of his duties.
(c)Any person violating the provisions of this By-Law shall be subject to a fine as provided for in Section 12.15A of the Penal Laws.

So it would appear that if you have land enough to be far enough from your neighbors and the road, you can give yourself written permission.

Interesting thread... I have a 12.3 acre lot in Westford with a 1200’ driveway from the road up to the cleared (empty) lot. May have to set up a range.

A couple hundred bucks for a membership at a local gun club could save you years of hassle and bad blood with your neighbors or the town. Why bother?

I’d still fire test rounds here and there on my property if it’s legal, but for recreational shooting I think I’ll go to the club. YMMV

Wait, you think you "own" your land. HAHAHAHA!!!!

What a myth. [rofl2]
This. The town owns all the land. You pay rent (RE tax) to live there. Another option: If you can, get the 07FFL and pay the SOT for a location that is not your residence. You can then have suppressors. Do a lot of research before you spend the $$ to do so. Good luck. Jack.

If the town doesn't want you to shoot, they'll figure out a way to stop you. In my case the police and building depts. said yes but the conservation dept. said I had to prove that the lead from bullets would not pollute the ground water now or in the future. How can anyone prove what will happen in the future?

If the town doesn't want you to shoot, they'll figure out a way to stop you. In my case the police and building depts. said yes but the conservation dept. said I had to prove that the lead from bullets would not pollute the ground water now or in the future. How can anyone prove what will happen in the future?
Why did you ask and not just setup a backstop, insure the 150ft road set back and 500ft dwelling set back and start firing away? I have never known a ConCom that did not believe they owned the world and could tell everyone what to do at all times. They overreach as a general practice.

You are too nice a guy, Gerry

Back
Top Bottom