-

If it's not on the list, then it isn't legally large capacity.

Ken

Ken, I respectfully disagree <ONLY> with the part quoted above.

The MA Large-Capacity List was written pre-Fed ban expiration . . . and AT THAT TIME was accurate.

HOWEVER, since the expiration of the Fed Ban, I am certain that numerous companies have shipped new models (or old models with new hi-cap mags) to non-LE/Mil customers in Free America and thus, those models must be treated as "Large-Capacity" in MA as well.

501 CMR 7.10

Weapons not listed on the Large Capacity Roster may also be large capacity weapons if they are semi-automatic, and are capable of accepting or readily modifiable to accept a large capacity feeding device. Weapons not listed on the Large Capacity Roster shall be considered large capacity weapons in accordance with M.G.L. c. 140, § 121, if they are capable of accepting a large capacity feeding device, or readily modifiable to accept a large capacity feeding device as defined by 501 CMR 7.02.

The version of the large capacity weapons roster currently on the Mass.gov website is dated 10/2007, which is definitely after the 2004 expiration of the federal AWB. We all pretty much know the actual text of the law and the CMR regarding large capacity weapons, neither of which begins to address the actual question. The fact is that neither of them mention the manufacturer shipping the arms with a large capacity magazine, only the ability to accept a large capacity feeding device. That's the reason that we've gone through all the insanity resulting from people who read these sources and reach the perfectly logical conclusion that absolutely every semiautomatic firearm that accepts a detachable magazine must be large capacity. Fortunately for the gun control freaks, the powers that be recognized that such a literal interpretation of the stupid law they wrote would result in a huge backlash from all the Fudds. They gave EOPS the task of deciding which guns were and were not large capacity. EOPS used the criteria that we've been discussing here based on how the arm was shipped by the manufacturer. In addition to these per se large capacity arms, any semiautomatic will be treated as large capacity if it's possessed along with a large capacity magazine that fits it. Those are the two categories that one needs to pay attention to when determining whether a gun is large capacity, not whether the manufacturer or some distributer sold a few combined with a large capacity magazine. If you worry about the possibility that a gun not listed as large capacity on the official list might have sold somewhere, sometime with a large capacity magazine, you've put yourself in the same category as all the out-of-state distributors and dealers who refuse to ship perfectly legal firearms and accessories (e.g., scopes, bipods, rails) to Massachusetts because they're worried that they might be illegal, possibly because somebody from VPC or another helpful group told them so.

Ken

Ken, they "republished" the List with a new date, but it's my understanding that no changes were made to it. I'm not 100% but think I recall Ron Glidden telling me this, but don't take this to the bank on my word.

Here is the 2002 and 2007 editions and side-by-side on pistols they seem to be an identical list. As a for-instance, the M&P 9 was being sold in Free America with hi-cap mags in 10/2007 IIRC and it's not on the newer list.

View attachment 12138
View attachment 12137

I didn't check for rifles, but believe that pistols (which I know a lot more about) would be a better litmus test.

EOPS created a CMR to "interpret" the poor language that gives rise to the assertion that every mag-fed gun is hi-cap per MGLs.

Last edited:
So either accept their interpretation or cling to the literal text of the law (i.e., all semi-autos with detachable magazines are large capacity). Sitting at the terminal attempting to make up one's own interpretation as advice for others seems a complete fools' errand. "Yes, your honor, I know that our interpretation conflicts with the relevant sections of the MGL and the CMRs as well as EOPS's official interpretation, but it's what a bunch of people on the internet agreed the law should mean."

Ken

Scriv made a similar argument a few months ago on here, but he also pointed out that while it should be successful in court, it is something that you would wind up arguing in court. I'm with LenS on this one.

Wecome to NES peteyb!

GSG is right, if it doesn't ship from the manufacturer (to ANY state) with a magazine in excess of 10 rounds, it is FID compliant.

Partial list (~$500 or less) from my post in the thread GSG linked to...

Ruger Mini-14
Ruger Mini-30
WASR-10 (single stack)
Hi-Point 995
SKS

The 7.62x39 version is the Mini-30

I'm going for my fid very soon and I'm also looking to buy these type of rifles as my first buy when I finally get my fid. I was wondering if anyone knows any gun shops in MA that would sell these to an fid holder since I've seen several post saying a lot of dealers aren't aware of the 10rd or less mag shipped by manufacturers are fid compliant or doesn't want to sell mag fed rifles to an fid holder. Thinking about getting a wasr 10 single stack.

SKS is mass compliant, bought mine at samco.com and then had it transfered to a mass dealer, get a Yugo SKS not a Chinese one. I got one that was made in the early 1980's and had never been fired. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom