10 Meters Is Open

Zappa

Road Warrior
NES Member
I recently pulled my old HR2600 out of mothballs, haven't used it since the mid 90's, stuck a new battery in the mic and hooked it up in the car on a 1/4 wave whip.
I was pleasantly surprised to see it working well after so much time.
My biggest concern was that some of the caps had dried out and gone bad, or worse, leaked acid on the board, which is what happened to my Kenwood TS-60 all-mode 6 meter rig. [sad2]
I had an empty spot on the dash where the TS-60 had resided for the last few years.
I had a few other options, such as putting in my ICOM IC-38A, another radio that's been stashed away for the better part of a decade, but the 220 band is just as dead as it's always been.
I also have an all-mode 2M Kenwood TR-751A, but there's hardly any activity on 2M sideband and I already have a 2M/440 Yaesu FT-7800 in the car.
Anyway, I hooked up the HR2600 and found lots of activity right away, the band was open and I QSO'd with a KC4 station in Georgia on 28.425 USB.
If anyone remembers the Uniden (President) HR Series of radios, the HR2510 was the most popular and well known variant, many were modified for 26-30 Mhz operation. The other radios in this model range were the President Lincoln and Uniden 2830. These were "export" models and not FCC type accepted for US operation, but plenty of them were used here on the 11 meter band. The Lincoln featured variable power output.
The HR2600 was the only variant with a built in tone encoder and allows for repeater offsets, this is what sets it apart as being the version that real Hams wanted, the rest were used as glorified CB's.
The NERD list is showing Mass repeaters at 29.640 and 29.660 (both 131.8 pl) but I wasn't able to bring up either of them. Anyone know if they're still up ???

This was today? I was reading and seeing the band to be poor all day

Yup, right from my car in the parking lot between 7-8 tonight.
I don't follow the band opening reports on the cluster, what was the MUF ???
This is usually a good time of year for DX, when the humidity rises so does the propagation.
I'm waiting for some tropo ducting on the higher bands.

10 meters has been good in the afternoon lately working SSB.
On FM I haven't been able to get any of those repeaters to work either.

Huh.. I just picked up a FT857, thanks to Madball13 for the info. I have been playing with it for the past hour. I have a 10 Meter Dipole setup. I have been hearing a lot on 40 Meters.

Huh.. I just picked up a FT857, thanks to Madball13 for the info. I have been playing with it for the past hour. I have a 10 Meter Dipole setup. I have been hearing a lot on 40 Meters.
Does it have a tuner? 20 and 40 will be fairly active at night. Lately 17 has been good too. During the day you can work 10,12 and 15.

Do you mean an Antenna Tuner? No not right now. I was listening to 40 last night and heard some activity with my 6m dipole. I want to get an antenna tuner but I just spent all of my play money for a bit. I have not heard anything on 10 and 6.

** Tried to work a station on 6 from GA he was coming in clear but to many pill ups to get in. I'm hooked.

Last edited:
What Tuner would you recommend for the Ft-857?
Which tuner depends on what you like/want. First you have to decide if you want an auto-tuner or a manual one. Auto-tuners are convient but expensive and often can't tune as wide a range of impedances as manual tuners. I also have an FT-857 and use an MFJ-949 manual tuner. For an antenna I simply have a 180' long-wire antenna. With the tuner I can get a good match on any band from 160M to 6M. It's not convenient, but it's simple, cheap and works. Plus, it has built-in cross-needle power indicators so I didn't have to get an extra box for the setup.

Last edited:
What Tuner would you recommend for the Ft-857? So as I read it the tuner just makes sure you are transmitting properly correct?

A tuner is not going to help your current situation. Since you can only operate on 10 and 6 and have dedicated antennas for those bands you are all set. Once you get your general then a tuner will help with using one antenna for multiple bands

Being a software engineer, I often wonder how nerdy and geeky my colleagues and I sound discussing "things" to others.

Now I have a clear example using this thread.

[smile]

Being a software engineer, I often wonder how nerdy and geeky my colleagues and I sound discussing "things" to others.

Now I have a clear example using this thread.

[smile]
Come on in, the water's fine. You'd probably enjoy digital modes and sending (short, text-only) emails 2,000 miles through the air without you being connected to the internet.

I have not had luck at all on 10 meters this past week. I was on a few openings on 6 meters but they did not get my call out. I hope it picks up so I can use the new radio.

Back
Top Bottom