• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

10.5 inch SBR: Does that include the muzzle brake?

Generally not, as the muzzle device is not permanently attached and thus is not considered part of the length of the barrel.

Generally not, as the muzzle device is not permanently attached and thus is not considered part of the length of the barrel.

Ok, but when you fill out your Form 1, do you need to add the length of your muzzle brake?

I am in Mass, so must if be permanently attached as well?

Ok, but when you fill out your Form 1, do you need to add the length of your muzzle brake?

I am in Mass, so must if be permanently attached as well?

If not permanently attached, the muzzle brake does not need to be included in the length. If permanently attached, it does.

If you're of the opinion that the MA AWB applies to SBRs (IMO it does, but I'm not a lawyer), then you will need to permanently attach the muzzle brake, and thus should include its length.

If you're not sure what muzzle device you're going to use, just guess. When your build is complete, you can send a letter to the ATF notifying of changes to configuration (barrel length, overall length, etc.)

If not permanently attached, the muzzle brake does not need to be included in the length. If permanently attached, it does.

If you're of the opinion that the MA AWB applies to SBRs (IMO it does, but I'm not a lawyer), then you will need to permanently attach the muzzle brake, and thus should include its length.

If you're not sure what muzzle device you're going to use, just guess. When your build is complete, you can send a letter to the ATF notifying of changes to configuration (barrel length, overall length, etc.)

I'm the other side of the coin. I submitted my paperwork for my 10.5 as 10.5. Federal law supersedes in my opinion - which is not offered as legal advice.

I'm the other side of the coin. I submitted my paperwork for my 10.5 as 10.5. Federal law supersedes in my opinion - which is not offered as legal advice.

Federal law certainly trumps State law. Just ask Obama and the State of Az (ref immigration enforcement law).

Sent from the depths of Hell with TapaTalk V2

I could swear I remember reading something on here in another thread about SBRs. People recommending that you tell them the shortest length you would ever consider putting on it. Or just using a default short length like 5in. So that way you have more flexibility if you decide to change barrels down the road. Like if you know you plan to put a 10 in on it, put 5 in on the form so if you ever decide to get an 8 in you wouldn't be going shorter than you told them.

It's the lower you're registering. You can change uppers all you want. I don't really see why they would care what length you put on it. When you register it they are granting you an exemption to the barrel length rules after all.

IANAL. Just thing out loud, STS.

barrel length which is the barrel length, and the overall length which is the overall length.

plus, you won't be able to tell exactly without putting the bastard together. google a production model colt with a 10.5" barrel, then look at the OAL and it'll say something like 29.5". write 29.5" on your form.

ain't hard.

barrel length which is the barrel length, and the overall length which is the overall length.

plus, you won't be able to tell exactly without putting the bastard together. google a production model colt with a 10.5" barrel, then look at the OAL and it'll say something like 29.5". write 29.5" on your form.

ain't hard.

I actually built mine on http://www.ar15.com/gunstruction/ and it tells you OAL if you click "STATS" when complete - amazing age we live in.

Back
Top Bottom