10/22: auto bolt release + extended mag release=???

so i just took apart my 10/22 to give it a good cleaning and to swap out a few parts i've had laying around for it since i bought it. the parts i swapped were a bolt buffer, extended mag release, and an auto bolt release.

after i put it back together i give the auto bolt release a try and it doesn't work. i double check to make sure i put in the new one and not the old one. tripled check for the hell of it. still doesn't work.... until you hold the mag release forward.

once i looked closer, the mag release is recessed far enough to let the bolt release lock the bolt back, but not far enough to let the thing swing to release the bolt. so to release the bolt you still need to pull the bolt back all the way, and press the tab at the bottom to release it, but only because doing so pushes the mag release as well.

so anyway, any one ever run into this problem? if so, any ideas?

thanks

I have a Volquartsen bolt release in my 10/22. It works well. The only caution is if you lock the bolt back, insert a loaded magazine, and then tap the butt on the ground, it will chamber a round.

so i just took apart my 10/22 to give it a good cleaning and to swap out a few parts i've had laying around for it since i bought it. the parts i swapped were a bolt buffer, extended mag release, and an auto bolt release.

after i put it back together i give the auto bolt release a try and it doesn't work. i double check to make sure i put in the new one and not the old one. tripled check for the hell of it. still doesn't work.... until you hold the mag release forward.

once i looked closer, the mag release is recessed far enough to let the bolt release lock the bolt back, but not far enough to let the thing swing to release the bolt. so to release the bolt you still need to pull the bolt back all the way, and press the tab at the bottom to release it, but only because doing so pushes the mag release as well.

so anyway, any one ever run into this problem? if so, any ideas?

thanks
I think what you're talking about is that cutout on the mag release. The auto bolt release sits in there. When you pull the bolt back, the auto bolt release plate moves into the receiver. Is it rubbing up against the mag release?

If so, shave the auto bolt release plate a bit...or just use the factory one and about 30 seconds with a dremel and you'll have an auto release.

Back
Top Bottom