• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

‘Disconnected with the moment’: Cummington Fair draws criticism for promoting gun store sponsor

Reptile

NES Member
CUMMINGTON — Days after mass shootings in El Paso, Texas, and Dayton, Ohio, the Cummington Fair posted a message on its Facebook page Tuesday that read: “We want to thank KC Small Arms for sponsoring the 2019 Cummington Fair!”

KC Small Arms is an Easthampton store that sells handguns, long guns and ammunition, among other items. More than the sponsorship itself, the timing and tone of the fair’s social media post upset some people who saw it.

“I thought it felt disconnected with the moment,” Marissa Hoechstetter, who grew up in Cummington and now lives in Northampton, told the Gazette Wednesday. With the nation still reeling from the attacks, the post’s cheerful tone and exclamation point felt “detached from the way a lot of us feel right now,” she said.

“This is not a comment on the company or their rights,” Hoechstetter explained in her own Facebook post, which she shared with the Gazette, “it’s the posting and celebration that feels cruel and devoid of decency.”

While Hoechstetter said she loves the fair and has gone to it nearly every year of her life, the post made her rethink whether she wants to bring her family there this year; she’s undecided.

And she’s not the only one.

On the Cummington Fair’s Facebook page, one person commented that she was concerned the fair was aligning itself with a gun store and criticized the original post for being insensitive given recent mass shootings.

Like Hoechstetter, Allison Arbib grew up going to the Cummington Fair; she now lives in Haydenville. She also acknowledged that people have the right to own and sell guns but said, “I felt that, in this moment, in this week when there’s a nationwide mourning for all the victims of violence … it was upsetting to see the Cummington Fair celebrate sponsorship of a company that sells guns.”

Though she usually attends the fair, Arbib said she won’t be going this year.

Albert Judd, president of the fair, said the post is part of a series of messages thanking over a dozen sponsors. Several days earlier, the fair thanked Greenfield Savings Bank in a similar message.

He added that the message about KC Small Arms was a pre-scheduled post. “It was poor timing,” he said. “It was not meant to be taken in light of recent events in the country.”

‘Disconnected with the moment’: Cummington Fair draws criticism for promoting gun store sponsor

Hey Marissa Hoechstetter.......peoples rights trump your "feelings". Get over it. Nobody cares how you feel, go suffer in silence douchebag!

KC small arms has a small selection at the moment but I see good things in their future. I got the vibe when I bought a pistol from them that the owner is a very proud 2nd amendment supporter and is not afraid to show it. Maybe this publicity will get more people thru the door, ramp up sales and generate some money.

Full STOP.
That's all you need to read, right there.
Thread closed.
Carry on.
Yup, the most liberal cesspool in MA. There is always the Blandford fair. Weird how different the attitudes towards the 2A are if you go a little further west into the hilltowns.

I am sick of Northampton, and not just their politics. The panhandlers, people camped out on park benches, over rated restaurants, crappy live music venues, and there is never a place to park. I rarely go there anymore.

Yup, the most liberal cesspool in MA. There is always the Blandford fair. Weird how different the attitudes towards the 2A are if you go a little further west into the hilltowns.

I am sick of Northampton, and not just their politics. The panhandlers, people camped out on park benches, over rated restaurants, crappy live music venues, and there is never a place to park. I rarely go there anymore.
Yes, we stopped dining in NOHO. We can play the boycott game also.

Put this on your mind grapes: Rachel Maddow has a house in Cummington.

These Marys need to cool it. Cummington is rural. I'm not even sure it has a traffic light.
Just the temporary lights that have been set up off and on for the five year bridge rebuilding project that has been making rt 9 a PITA to navigate since 2014. Every year, a new bridge! And when that's done, we're going to start over and do the other side of every single bridge! :)

KC Small Arms is a nice spot. The guy who’s always behind the counter has been helpful every time I’ve been there. Bought a 1911 about 5 months ago. Price was a little higher than I could have got online or even at another local shop, but I finally have a real LGS and I’d like to keep it that way.

They offer a discount on all YHM stuff in the shop so if you need any quality AR parts it’s a good spot to check out.

Just wish they had more used pistols on the shelf.

Would they be expressing outrage at the indecency if a gay person committed a horrible violent crime but a LGBQT group was sponsoring the fair and acknowledged that participation? Of if a car dealer was sponsoring shortly after a multiple fatality DUI crash?

By this logic people should be upset with Mosques after snackbar atrocities.

Asking for consistency from the left is like trying to make sense of a 2 year old's daydreaming behavior.

Found the Facebook page for the fair and the post thanking the sponsor. 55 comments almost all positive and the woman who posted the original negative comment apologized. One of the negatives was from a woman who lists being from MD and currently lives in LA so I called her out as a carpetbagging twat

Back
Top Bottom