‘Absolutely disgusting’: Worcester police investigating after gunman opens fire on vehicle with mom, 4 children inside

WORCESTER, MASS. (WHDH) - An injured 3-year-old girl was found sitting inside a bullet-riddled vehicle with her mother and three other children near a playground in Worcester on Thursday night, officials said.

Officers responding to a report of shots fired in the area of Harding Street and Crompton Park around 8:30 p.m. found an occupied vehicle that had been damaged by gunfire and a child inside suffering from a minor leg injury, according to the Worcester Police Department.

The child was said to be grazed by one of the bullets that were fired into the vehicle.

There were no other reported injuries.

“Obviously shooting into a vehicle with little kids can cause children to die,” Worcester Police Lt. Sean Murtha said. “It was a car with four young children in it, between 3 and 11. The mother was driving and someone fired a gun at the car.”

Murtha noted that it is unusual for a mother and four children to be targeted.

“Thankfully the injuries aren’t worse. It’s an absolutely disgusting and horrifying incident,” Murtha said.

Anyone with information on the incident is urged to contact Worcester police detectives at 508-799-8561. Anonymous tips can be texted to 274637.

The incident remains under investigation.

Haven't seen any informative updates. Yeah, yeah it's FacePlant but a good site to get a feel for what's going on in Worcester is https://www.facebook.com/WorcesterPolice/

Maybe I shouldn't be surprised, but the number of shootings and stabbings is WAY higher than I would have expected. Worcester cops have their work cut out for them lately. If you frequent Wormtown, be vigilant my friends.

Haven't seen any informative updates. Yeah, yeah it's FacePlant but a good site to get a feel for what's going on in Worcester is https://www.facebook.com/WorcesterPolice/

Maybe I shouldn't be surprised, but the number of shootings and stabbings is WAY higher than I would have expected. Worcester cops have their work cut out for them lately. If you frequent Wormtown, be vigilant my friends.

Shotspotter activations are through the roof.

Are they able to resolve the difference between firearms and fireworks?

Big city crime stats are likely through the roof nationwide. Indeed I was surprised to see the level of stabbing / shooting activity in Worcester. Never had any close calls there but it only takes once. I'm seeing reports from areas I go into or through.

How many are actually fireworks or cars backfiring or something else other than gunshots?

Afaik, they're supposed to be tuned to not trip for those but in Chelsea at least seems like theres plenty of activations but PD on the scene almost always reports no casings, bullet holes or other damage, no calls by people in the area or people saying it was fireworks or cars (understood they may or may not be lying).

Seems to me like they activate often but there is rarely any evidence of gunshots. Just curious what the false positive rate is.

Are they able to resolve the difference between firearms and fireworks?

Big city crime stats are likely through the roof nationwide. Indeed I was surprised to see the level of stabbing / shooting activity in Worcester. Never had any close calls there but it only takes once. I'm seeing reports from areas I go into or through.
How many are actually fireworks or cars backfiring or something else other than gunshots?

Afaik, they're supposed to be tuned to not trip for those but in Chelsea at least seems like theres plenty of activations but PD on the scene almost always reports no casings, bullet holes or other damage, no calls by people in the area or people saying it was fireworks or cars (understood they may or may not be lying).

Seems to me like they activate often but there is rarely any evidence of gunshots. Just curious what the false positive rate is.

You can tell when you listen to audio... and its generally confirmed by shell casings

It's pretty cool, every now and then you hear the shots and then you hear a car peeling out
Have they gotten around to putting cameras on them yet or is that some sort of legal issue? Not rooting for them, just figured they wouldve done that already if it was possible.

Have they gotten around to putting cameras on them yet or is that some sort of legal issue? Not rooting for them, just figured they wouldve done that already if it was possible.

I dont know... but they do have plenty of private cameras wired in to some big brother thing I read about years ago on top of having traffic cameras. A lot of the sensors are too high up and not conducive to cameras. The audio triangulation is more important

I dont know... but they do have plenty of private cameras wired in to some big brother thing I read about years ago on top of having traffic cameras. A lot of the sensors are too high up and not conducive to cameras. The audio triangulation is more important
Yeah I knew there was a triangulation thing going on, just figured theyd be in the general area and might catch someone coming or going. I talked to a business owner in Chelsea who iirc had cameras installed for free (or maybe subsidized and some portion of the cost was picked up I dont recall exactly). The catch was the pd had access to the feed.

When you say traffic cameras, these are the cams on the poles on the highways and the blue box ones on tel poles , usually on the main streets (in Chelsea at least), not the ones overhanging intersections right? I had always thought the ones at intersections were super low rez, just enough to see theres a vehicle there so it can tell the brain to turn one light red and another green. PD have no access and its not recorded anywhere. (I hope)

Back
Top Bottom