Yugoslav sks

Just put a Yugoslav M59 on layaway bore a little pitted it's been Thur rebuilt got it for $325 I figure any Sks is worth $325 now a days it's looks nice.

$325 is great for a Yugoslavian.......must have some putting to be at that price. Most I've seen in shops with good to excellent bores are $500 range.

But for $325 you gotta take it home right?!?!

I picked up a norinko with a bright shiney bore and good wood for $385 last summer and thought it was a good deal.

Nice. Amazing what the good old SKSs go for now. Just be careful with the Yugos. No chrome lined bore, which is why it is pitted, and those pesky gas valves for the grenade launchers. Not a big deal, just be extra careful with cleaning them promptly after each use, especially if using corrosive ammo. The Yugo M67 ammo is great stuff but corrosive. You probably knew that but figure I'd mention it just in case.

This one has no launcher they made some with out them. My dealer is cool I will pay it off fast.

Is it an actual M59 or just a M59/66 that's been modified? Pics would be great. Some importers and/or retailers were taking M59/66s and removing the grenade launcher, grenade sights and gas valve to resemble a M59. The M59 was the only production Yugo sks that came without the grenade launcher and gas valve. They were the predecessors to the M59/66 and M59/66a1 and have some amount of collector value.

If yours looks newish then I doubt it's a M59 but probably one of the modified M59/66s. Nothing wrong with that, I would prefer not to have the grenade launcher, gas valve (which can cause problems if not kept clean) and funky grenade ladder sight making it front heavy. Sounds like a good score for you.

The wrist area of the stock is also a lot thicker on the M59/66 than any other SKS variants. They made it that way to reinforce that area for the grenade launcher feature of course. I found it uncomfortable to shoot due to that thick wrist so I sold mine and used that money to pick up a refurbished 1956 Russian SKS. Thinner wrist = more comfortable to handle, for me anyhow.

In fact I still have a replacement stainless gas valve for the M59/66 if anyone needs it. Forgot I had bought it after I bought the gun because I read somewhere the original one can get worn out. I'll never have a use for it, so whoever wants it, first to PM me gets it shipped free... hidden Karma LOL.

Back
Top Bottom