Youth Guns

I love my Marlin 980s, but it's kind of heavy. My sons first learned on my old Ithaca lever action M49 .22 single shot, it fit them well and was IMHO about the safest gun to teach them with.

CZ 452 is a great rifle. The Scout model is for younger shooters and is smaller. The trainer is full sized with very nice iron sights for learning.

Bought this rifle for my daughter prior to the accutrigger addition and with iron sights. I added Lyman target sights. Very accurate at 50 feet. She was shooting in the 90's prone at 50 feet after a couple of trips to the range. I also added an adjustable rail to the forend of the stock for a target sling. (Have access to a machine shop)http://www.savagearms.com/cub.htm

Bought this rifle for my daughter prior to the accutrigger addition and with iron sights. I added Lyman target sights. Very accurate at 50 feet. She was shooting in the 90's prone at 50 feet after a couple of trips to the range. I also added an adjustable rail to the forend of the stock for a target sling. (Have access to a machine shop)http://www.savagearms.com/cub.htm

I've been looking at this one! Anyone have experience with the Accutrigger? Improvement or unnecessary bell and whistle?

My first ever bolt action rifle was a Marlin Glenfield Model 25 bolt action rifle. It was always fun to shoot. I believe my Dad had picked it up from Four Seasons quite a few years back for around $80 with its rear sights bashed off cause the previous owner had mounted a scope on it. I still love to play around with the rifle every now and then, has a 7 round mag and is quite accurate for what it is. Makes a great trainer if you are able to find one.

Dan

Here is the Charles Daly.22lr single shot very similar to that Savage Arms one that I bought my son years ago. I made him shoot well with the open sights before I through a cheap Pronghorn scope on it . With Green Tag .22lr ammo this thing is super accurate. It is funny to pick up now as it is really small.

IMG_0018.jpg

I think it is discontinued now :(

Last edited:
Deja Vu

I asked almost the exact same question a week or so ago... and after listening to these guys and gals who know a ton more than me, I, like you settled on a bolt action for my nephew's first gun. After some more soul searching I also added the requirement of a magazine, because I may want to take a shot or two. I went up to Four Seasons and bout a Winchester Wildcat for about $200. .22 LR bolt action with a 10 round magazine. My nephew is 11 and just slightly bigger than average, and he can hold it fine. It was great out of the box for accuracy and we had no hiccups with cheap ol .22LR ammo. The Savage Savage Mark II was another choice I would have mentioned but I just couldn't find one... and I went all the way up to Kittery to look. I hope my ramblings are of some help. Good Luck.

Back
Top Bottom