• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Yet another use for all those plastic beverage bottles......Brilliant!!!!

No, I meant when they built the roof in the first place. In fact, I bet the plastic is less expensive than the tin.

And less durable. At least when the sun destroys the soda bottle, it's cheaper and easier to replace.

Did anyone notice he filled the bottles with water? The man is an optical engineer too.

Plastic Bottles vs Translucent Corrugated Fiberglass or Plastic

Clever guy... kudos! However, just thinking that a translucent plastic roof would provide a LOT more light in those spaces, can be installed in a fraction of the time vs. cutting all those holes, and is probably cheaper than a tin roof, albeit a lot hotter. You can get translucent corrugated fiberglass or plastic roofing cheap.

"Light transmission - what can I expect from Clear, White and Green Corrugated roofing?
First, keep in mind that a sheet of clear Plexiglass (Plexiglas) acrylic sheet is perfectly clear and is rated at 92%.
You lose 4% from reflected light off the first (top) surface and another 4% off the bottom (inside) surface.
Polycarbonate is worse - 88% for 1/8" and much less for 1/2". Glass is less than 92%!
Now with fiberglass, you have the resin and then the fiberglass - even in clear panels, the strands of fiberglass will reflect back light. No way you can get 92% like Plexiglass. So:

CLEAR fiberglass panels allow 85-90% of visible light in.
WHITE fiberglass panels allow 70-75% of visible light in.
GREEN fiberglass panels allow 35-40% of visible light in.

Plastic panels will allow a bit more light in.

Dare I say it?......

BRILLIANT!!!

Except that the prior art is 100s of years old. Mystic seaport has a great example: http://glassian.org/Prism/Deck/Charles_W_Morgan/index.html

I was just thinking the same thing.

Change the filler from water to something that won't freeze and it would also work around here too.
Of course, by the time we did that, it would probably cost more than a 1x1' sheet corrugated, translucent fiberglass.

Back
Top Bottom