Yet another FA10 question

First and foremost, my apologies if this has been asked before. I did a search on the term FA10 and didn't find anything that covered this. If I missed it, I'm sure somebody will point out my folly.

I bought a 1022 receiver YEARS ago planning on turning it into some sort of super accurate new toy.

Since then it's gone in the safe and been forgotten about but I'm planning on completing it soon. When I do:

The FA10 asks for the place and date that it was purchased. Since MA doesn't consider the receiver to be the gun and since the various parts are likely to come from many different places (and probably be bought at many different times) what do I put here?

I'm planning on putting the date of final construction as "the day it was bought" and the place that I got the receiver as the "place it was bought”. Is that right or should I expect to get a call saying "This gun was sold (x) years ago!!! Why did it take you so long to report this to us?"

I have another FA10 question. I'm registering my post-ban AnvilArms AR15 and theres a check box for 'high capacity'. Should I check this, or no?

Also, in the caliber section, do I write '5.56x45' or '5.56' or '556'?

Of course it's "high capacity [sic]" Check the "Assault Weapons Roster" and you'll find AR's on it. And it's "LARGE capacity."

As for caliber, "5.56" would work IF you check "mm;" I'd go with ".223."

Is that right or should I expect to get a call saying "This gun was sold (x) years ago!!! Why did it take you so long to report this to us?"

CHSB doesn't "check" anything, they just enter it into the
system. I've never heard of anyone being called by them,
etc. As long as your info is in the right places on the form,
and is readable, they are more than likely going to be "happy" with
whatever it is you've submitted.

-Mike

etc. As long as your info is in the right places on the form,
and is readable, they are more than likely going to be "happy" with
whatever it is you've submitted.

-Mike

What if, hypothetically, a guy has a gun that's been knocking around for years, originally bought out of Sears catalogue in the early '60's? And what if this gun was brought into Massachusetts in the early '70's and no FA-10 was ever submitted? And if this guy wanted to bring this gun into legal standing, and he submitted an FA-10 now ... would he be opening a can of worms?

What if, hypothetically, a guy has a gun that's been knocking around for years, originally bought out of Sears catalogue in the early '60's? And what if this gun was brought into Massachusetts in the early '70's and no FA-10 was ever submitted? And if this guy wanted to bring this gun into legal standing, and he submitted an FA-10 now ... would he be opening a can of worms?
It could, particularly when there is no reason to do so. FA10s are used to register purchases and transfers which this situation is not. The gun as all the legal standing it needs, particularly if the owner has purchase paperwork. Even if they don't then I do not see what benefit this would provide. I only submit FA10s for that which I must. The less one tells the government about the guns one owns the better.

It could, particularly when there is no reason to do so. FA10s are used to register purchases and transfers which this situation is not. The gun as all the legal standing it needs, particularly if the owner has purchase paperwork. Even if they don't then I do not see what benefit this would provide. I only submit FA10s for that which I must. The less one tells the government about the guns one owns the better.

Thank you. I was hoping that would be the answer. An acquaintance of mine has several guns of unclear provenance. If he were ever asked directly how he came into the possession of these guns, his memory would surely fail him. But if I buy any of these guns from him, and I do the FA-10, that should not, then, put him into an uncomfortable position, by any means ... or at least that's what I suggested.

etc.

I've been told the same from a few sources. This does prompt a similar question, though:

Has anyone here ever heard of any case where late submission has been grounds for either legal action or being deemed an "unsuitable person"? The consensus seems to be that this has not happened, but then, the penalties tied to the "within 7 days" wording do seem pretty specific.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom